TORONTO PIKE - ABOUT TIME TOO!

snag

I'll be brief.

The weather was crap this afternoon. As I drove, I was thinking: "why bother"?

gallery_82_84_48708.jpg

Here is a sad, desolate bouy. Bobbing in a bay of murky despair.

gallery_82_84_14983.jpg

Just for fun and size comparison. Here is a wee snotty I caught Ice fishing.

(You'll notice my Dead bait of choice is a white storm lure. It out performs live bait)

gallery_82_84_25244.jpg

Soooooooooo, I'm at my spot; it's raining, it's cold. There's nobody around. Why am I here?

I'm using a lure I got out of one of the cheap bins at the sportsman show but I'm sure it has to work.

I'm slowly reeling in, the water is like mud........and then I think I see a FOLLOW!

Indeed! It's huge!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Here is the Mama(?) swimming.

gallery_82_84_10565.jpg

Thank goodness for my drag. She did a bunch of runs with some good solid weight.

She followed and swallowed (easy boys).

My heart sank thinking that some dire surgery was to follow.

Turns out she hadn't bitten the lure. Instead, she had clamped down on my leader (the blood in the next photo is from my finger and a bit from her lip)

When I got her mouth open with the spreaders, the lure was hanging free in her vacuous pie-hole. No pliers needed!!!

So this is the scoop.

I was alone as usual so I did not measure her, I'm guessing over 40".

However, I did weigh her with my digital scale, 16.5 lbs!!!!!

I look like an ogre because the weight on my messed-up finger was discomforting.

Here she is

gallery_82_84_35997.jpg

IT HAS BEGUN.............

SNOG

Edited by snog

I'll be brief.

The weather was crap this after noon as I drove thinking "why bother"?

SNOG

WooHoo!! Very very nice! You went for it and what a beauty pay off!!

I had the same "why bother" attitude today and I am ashamed to admit....I fell for it. Stayed home,packed away the ice gear and reorganized the soft water stuff.....should have went fishing :wallbash: :wallbash:

bly

Nice job!!! It's great to see your TO pike posts again...I missed them!!!! Maybe if the pike are back in the shallows there, they are back in my neck of the woods. I'll have to get out soon though!!! Great work Snag...and yes, I cant bring myself to call you Snog yet...LOL

Tried around the foot of spadina for about half an hour after work and nearly froze in the wind and rain,

so packed it in quickly.

Obviously your perseverance paid off.

WTG,

ehg

Good job snag man! The Master Pike fisherman is back. Great looking fish. They do tend to like getting revenge on your fingers though :lol:

So tell me, is your camera set up on a tripod for these great self portraits? If so is it set up ready before you even catch the fish or do you have to scramble around once the fish is landed? Always wondered... they seem such well composed shots, and would like to give the self portrait with fish shot a go one day, even if the pike I catch are 1/5th the size :D

Thanks for sharing. Itching to get out there.