Fights on the ice?

jedimaster

Haven't heard about these ones but it reminded me of another.

A buddy of mine years ago was on the Bog fishing by himself. He had managed a couple of fish while another guy fishing in the distance had got nothing. This guy decided he had seen enough and walked over to my buddies hole after he landed his 3rd fish. He kicked my buddies rod stand out of the way and started to fish the hole. After some yelling and screaming the clown refused to leave and my buddy packed up and move onto another spot.

Fights on the ice? Doesn't surprise me when there are idiots like this around.

Never seen a fight on the ice, but know of one --- involving my parents!

Just to set the scene, my Mom's a small slender woman about 5'2", Dad a wiry build about 5'9". They were in their 50's at the time.

Well Mom and Dad were ice fishing near Iron Island and this loud-mouthed slob of a guy (drunk) set himself up real close. He made some rude comments about my mother and Dad told him to shut up. He tackled my Dad to the ice and started to pound on him. Started, I say, because he didn't get very far before my Mom cold-cocked him with the steel handle of the ice spud.

His buddies picked him up and took him somewhere else.

True story.

Never seen a fight on the ice, but know of one --- involving my parents!

Just to set the scene, my Mom's a small slender woman about 5'2", Dad a wiry build about 5'9". They were in their 50's at the time.

Well Mom and Dad were ice fishing near Iron Island and this loud-mouthed slob of a guy (drunk) set himself up real close. He made some rude comments about my mother and Dad told him to shut up. He tackled my Dad to the ice and started to pound on him. Started, I say, because he didn't get very far before my Mom cold-cocked him with the steel handle of the ice spud.

His buddies picked him up and took him somewhere else.

True story.

good for your mom Jocko!!!

welcome back BTW kinda miss reading your posts...im guessing your posting enthusiasm wore off or youve been extremely busy

All the best

That's crazy. Never in my life have I gone looking for a fight, that's just not me. But Jocko's story reminded me of something kind of similar.

I brought my girlfriend (now my wife Joanne) camping/fishing on the Bad river (delta of the French).

It's one of my favourite spots and entails a 26km run to get there including shooting some pretty hairy rapids in the boat. It's remote.

We set up camp on one of my favourite spots and went out fishing.

Right at dusk we headed back to camp in good spirits. My heart sank as I approached our campsite and saw 3 boats moored in my spot and 2 large tents pitched RIGHT next to mine. laugh.gif

Joanne knew what was coming. She's whispering to me "stay calm, don't do anything stupid!"

I paid her no attention and was riveted on the 6 guys milling around our campsite.

4 of them had beers in their hands, 2 were drinking whiskey straight from a bottle.

They all approached as I moored the boat, one who was the "leader" greets us in broken english (they were local francophones from the area).

"Hey buddy, how's it going?! Heeeey glad to see someone brought a girl!"

Every one of them was hammered.

I didn't respond.

I hopped out of the boat and was immediately surround by 5 of the 6 guys, one of them hung back.

I say to the leader "You guys have 5 minutes to pack up your crap and leave"

He laughs at me, says "What the hell is your problem?"

That's when I broke his nose.

The other 4 swarmed me and Joanne started screaming. I'm far from a fighter but I was MAD and every one of these guys could barely stand up.

I took them all down except the one older guy who was hanging back. biggrin.gif

I threw their crap into their boats and forced them to leave brandishing a paddle.

The older guy was pretty embarassed and apologized profusely to me.

After they left Joanne was severely pissed at me though, and she let me know it. laugh.gif

Anyhow it's amazing to me how ignorant some people can be.

I would have paid to see solopaddler go matrix on those guys...

Personally I'd have rather had you there to put the fear of god into them. ;)

Sometimes you're forced into situations you don't like and have to respond.

Being a little older and wiser, I'd handle things a bit differently now.

take out your .357 ?

Most likely pack up and leave myself.

Those kinds of confrontations are dangerous and stupid. Any one of those losers could have had a weapon.

The only scenario where I can envision violence is if my wife or kids were being harmed. Then all bets are off.

We put a hut out on Scugog as a home base. Early season we get them pretty good there then as the fish spread we move to try and stay on'em.

One Sunday we had a very successful evening fish at the hut. So, I left work early on Mon and flew up to the hut for the evening fish. I was shocked to see 3 guys literally fishing right beside the hut. They must of angled their auger to get the holes so close. Their other lines were in our outside holes. When they saw me B-line to the hut with my truck they starting packing up to leave.

I totally ignored them and reliezed quickly they were "noobies" as I saw one guys setup with a float and a spinner.

They spoke in a language I didn't recognize. But I heard one guy mumble, screw him. Thats when I snapped. Gave them a verbal beating they probablly didn't understand. Just as I felt things were going to go to blows(most guys have this instinct), I could see 2 of my buddies trucks coming on the ice and making their way over. I just pointed to the trucks and told them my reinforcements have arrived. I didn't even know my buds were coming up, lucky really. They left.

During the following week the hut was broken into, they took everything in it and smashed the windows. I guess they got pissed that we moved it and didn't drill any holes.

There are idiots everywhere. Kinda wish Solo was with me, lol

That's crazy. Never in my life have I gone looking for a fight, that's just not me. But Jocko's story reminded me of something kind of similar.

I brought my girlfriend (now my wife Joanne) camping/fishing on the Bad river (delta of the French).

It's one of my favourite spots and entails a 26km run to get there including shooting some pretty hairy rapids in the boat. It's remote.

We set up camp on one of my favourite spots and went out fishing.

Right at dusk we headed back to camp in good spirits. My heart sank as I approached our campsite and saw 3 boats moored in my spot and 2 large tents pitched RIGHT next to mine. laugh.gif

Joanne knew what was coming. She's whispering to me "stay calm, don't do anything stupid!"

I paid her no attention and was riveted on the 6 guys milling around our campsite.

4 of them had beers in their hands, 2 were drinking whiskey straight from a bottle.

They all approached as I moored the boat, one who was the "leader" greets us in broken english (they were local francophones from the area).

"Hey buddy, how's it going?! Heeeey glad to see someone brought a girl!"

Every one of them was hammered.

I didn't respond.

I hopped out of the boat and was immediately surround by 5 of the 6 guys, one of them hung back.

I say to the leader "You guys have 5 minutes to pack up your crap and leave"

He laughs at me, says "What the hell is your problem?"

That's when I broke his nose.

The other 4 swarmed me and Joanne started screaming. I'm far from a fighter but I was MAD and every one of these guys could barely stand up.

I took them all down except the one older guy who was hanging back. biggrin.gif

I threw their crap into their boats and forced them to leave brandishing a paddle.

The older guy was pretty embarassed and apologized profusely to me.

After they left Joanne was severely pissed at me though, and she let me know it. laugh.gif

Anyhow it's amazing to me how ignorant some people can be.

WOO-HOO!!!! :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

That put a big Friday morning smile on my face.

To set the record straight there was no fight.But there was a lot of words past back and forth on the COMPUTER about it,you would have to read the whole thing to understand what happened.The guy apologized and had his name removed from the site.He said he over reacted.If you want to read it go to page six of the Quintefishing site and read (ETIQUETTE).

Edited by gaspumper

Personally I'd have rather had you there to put the fear of god into them. wink.gif

Sometimes you're forced into situations you don't like and have to respond.

Being a little older and wiser, I'd handle things a bit differently now.

I bet the story didnt stop there either....nudge nudge.....say no more, say no MOREcool.gif

i bet she's a sport, he said knowingly.......say no MOREsmile.gif

I bet the story didnt stop there either....nudge nudge.....say no more, say no MOREcool.gif

i bet she's a sport, he said knowingly.......say no MOREsmile.gif

It must be a francophone thing.

Am I going to have to drive out to Brossard to lay a beating on you?

:lol:

Edited by solopaddler

Well, it wasn't really a fight for me so much... I was fishing off the dock at my folks place. so these 3 guys in a bass boat were slowly moving along the shore, see me and speed over to me. as I stand there casting one guy pitches a jig right at me and it lands between my feet. not a word said. I quickly throw on a 1/4 OZ or 3/8 OZ jig and fire it right back at them. it made a great click sound as it slammed into the side of his boat. cast 2 was about to be on it's way when the boat owner decided he best get moving along...

Edited by GBW