Small SUV's - opinions

scugpg

Ford Escape man......Youy wont regret it.Deal him into putting the towing pack on it for free and buy it.

Its by far the best price, and I really trust the brand and dealer I work with around here. I keep coming back to that even though the others are a bit more refined and better on gas by a bit.

Get the escape!!! I have owned two since 2001. I take that vehicle through anything and ever get stuck. Great on fuel and comfortable to drive. It also tows great. I towed a 16ft with a 50 Merc fully loaded with a weeks worth of gear no issues.

Edited by duxbware

They are the same as JEEP or vice versa

Outlander = Jeep Patriot/Compass/Dodge Caliber

Not even close.

My buddy had a 2005 from new, recently traded it in for a 2010. He couldn't be happier. Real nice vehicle, no comparison to Jeep or Dodge.

My girlfriend drives a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer. It's nothing fancy, but reliable as hell. Again, no comparison to a Neon.

I wouldn't be brand shy. My buddy hasn't towed with either of his Outlanders, so I don't know how they rate in that regard, but certainly a quality vehicle.

Get the escape!!! I have owned two since 2001. I take that vehicle through anything and ever get stuck. Great on fuel and comfortable to drive. It also tows great. I towed a 16ft with a 50 Merc fully loaded with a weeks worth of gear no issues.

Is that with the 4 or 6cyl?

Well I did some driving and researching and I decided that I want to go with a 4cyl 4x4 model. I have it down to:

Chevy Eqinox/GMC Terrain

Ford Escape

Mitsubishi Outlander

Do you guys know anything about the Mitsubishi line of vehicles? Really liked this vehicle but kinda shy to that brand. Escape is a proven design, but really like the new Terrain and the direct injection motor.

I don`t want to preach but if your going to load up the vehicle with your family and tow a boat get a 6 cylinder,you put that much wear and tear on a 4 banger your gas mileage is not going to be great.

And just a heads up check the specs of the 4 cylinder Escape it does not come with a hitch option and there is no stated tow capacity care to guess on why that is?

I would think if you put an after markey hitch on the 4 banger Escape and went to the dealer for some warranty work you might have a problem.

I think you`ll be much further ahead with a 6 cyl. I know the upfront cost is more but in the long run I think you`ll be better off.

Try a 2008 or 2009 model to save a few bucks.

Not even close.

My buddy had a 2005 from new, recently traded it in for a 2010. He couldn't be happier. Real nice vehicle, no comparison to Jeep or Dodge.

My girlfriend drives a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer. It's nothing fancy, but reliable as hell. Again, no comparison to a Neon.

I wouldn't be brand shy. My buddy hasn't towed with either of his Outlanders, so I don't know how they rate in that regard, but certainly a quality vehicle.

They're all built from the same platform...just look different.

fit and finish might be different as well as the seating as for bells and whistles. Strip 'em down and in most cases they share the same powertrain , suspensions, and braking systems.

Just like Fords and Mazda.. GMC and Suzuki..(domestic imports)

I know what you mean... but the basics are usually the same... It would be like comparing a high end Lincoln MKZ to a low end Mazda 6

Randy

:canadian:

I don`t want to preach but if your going to load up the vehicle with your family and tow a boat get a 6 cylinder,you put that much wear and tear on a 4 banger your gas mileage is not going to be great.

And just a heads up check the specs of the 4 cylinder Escape it does not come with a hitch option and there is no stated tow capacity care to guess on why that is?

I would think if you put an after markey hitch on the 4 banger Escape and went to the dealer for some warranty work you might have a problem.

I think you`ll be much further ahead with a 6 cyl. I know the upfront cost is more but in the long run I think you`ll be better off.

Try a 2008 or 2009 model to save a few bucks.

but how often do you really tow your boat and load down the vehicle

I drove a 4 cyl nissan pickup and towed a 18ft bassboat with a 150 on it.........the 200,000 km I put on it says it handled the towing pretty well...when towing I didn't go 140km and it got bad gas mileage when towing the boat, but that was about 20 days a year so the great mileage the other 300 and something days a year made a big difference ..and when I towed the snowmobile it didn't have any trouble hardy knew it was there

but how often do you really tow your boat and load down the vehicle

I drove a 4 cyl nissan pickup and towed a 18ft bassboat with a 150 on it.........the 200,000 km I put on it says it handled the towing pretty well...when towing I didn't go 140km and it got bad gas mileage when towing the boat, but that was about 20 days a year so the great mileage the other 300 and something days a year made a big difference ..and when I towed the snowmobile it didn't have any trouble hardy knew it was there

That's exactly it, not making big road trips with the boat behind and 95% is going to be city driving. Won't be loaded up all the time either. That's why 4cyl AWD seems to make sense.

Its by far the best price, and I really trust the brand and dealer I work with around here. I keep coming back to that even though the others are a bit more refined and better on gas by a bit.

I leased one for my bussiness for a couple of years.It was alot of fun, and never gave me problems.in 2006 i was getting overall 8.1L/100k which is pretty good for an suv.it was a 4cyl.4cl is a bit noisier than the 6.

Well it just goes to show you nothing is for sure, the wife has been wanting to get rid of the gas guzzling Durango for a while now and she wakes up this morning and says lets go shopping... I figured she wanted to go buy food but she says vehicle... :wallbash:

Well the other day I said in another thread I said I would never buy new because of depreciation blah blah, she says she wants to drive a Escape and a Journey I think she was doing a little research because she know what she was looking for.

Well to make a long story short she fell in love with Dodge Journey and she ended up with a new Journey R/T fully loaded including navigation,back-up camera,6 CD,leather,sunroof,chrome wheels,tow package,AWD,etc,etc.

With the incentives and finacing deals they have now I could not say no being the end of the month and all they were sure aggressive to make the sale,the fully loaded Journey was almost the same price as a basic FWD Escape!

I have never been able to say no to my wife!

Journey.jpg

Edited by lookinforwalleye

• 3 months later...

We have been happy with my wife's RAV4. Great on gas and drives very nice. We haven't used it for towing though so I can't help your there.

Do you know if the back gate could open with a trailer on? it doesn't come with a vertical back gate.

I think it's down to the new equinox or the rav4. Nox is really but really big and heavy for what I need and visibility and mileage is not as good as ratings from what I read.

Wish the new escape would come out but not until q2 2012 from what I hear but hard to say if will even be any good side from power train.

If you can't open the back hatch because of the boat, add a couple feet to the tongue of your trailer. A welding shop can do this real quick, easy, and cheap. I had to do the same. Makes backing up the trailer a little easier too with the longer wheel base.

S.

Do you know if the back gate could open with a trailer on? it doesn't come with a vertical back gate.

I think it's down to the new equinox or the rav4. Nox is really but really big and heavy for what I need and visibility and mileage is not as good as ratings from what I read.

Wish the new escape would come out but not until q2 2012 from what I hear but hard to say if will even be any good side from power train.

Our gate swings out like a normal door. I am not sure if there are any other gate options for a RAV4.

I think that you could open the door at least part way on most trailers. You may be able to open it all the way if the trailer has a long tongue.

Edited by JohnBacon

I drive a forester XT, and I tell ya, it is a lot more fun to drive than any other compact SUV I've been in!! I've driven the RAV4's, escape, tribute, and terrain. None of them compare on the road to the XT.

S.