A classic is banned from Radio play

HTHM

On a side note it is funny that the OFC filters draw a correlation between homosexuals and good fashion.

Just to clarify this point a little. I meant it as a joke and am still snickering a little. When you censor and substitute you have to stereotype and make generalizations to make it work. I am of the belief that you should not censor and allow the people hearing or reading or watching it make their own decisions. Now you probably willnot find a lot of homosexuals offended at the idea that they generally have good fashion sense but that does not mean that it is not a stereotype.

Be hard on the States all you want but it does not change the fact that they actually have true freedom of speech in their constitution and official seperation of church and state. Two things that we do not have here.

I would like all the bigots and idiots to be allowed a soap box to stand on in this country that way we would know where they are. By censoring them you are taking away the publics right to judge for themselves and forcing the hate underground where we can not keep track of it.

Dire Straits is just a rock band and this would seem like no big deal but it is a slippery slope.

NO to censorship.

The reason it is in the filters is their are no repercussions for hearing a word in a song. Type it on the internet though and it can lead to hurt feelings or worst.

Art

I agree with your sentiment but completely disagree with your statement. Many songs have been chanted in history to invoke violence. I am still not for anyform of censorship.

so they missed the line

"See the little very good dresser with the earring and the makeup Yeah buddy that's his own hair That little very good dresser got his own jet airplane That little very good dresser he's a millionaire)

idiots

So, the radio broadcasters got together and thought they didn't want a demeaning word in a song. Ok. My world continues. No big deal. We do the same thing here on OFC. We censor ourselves in our posts to avoid offending others, like younger board members or those from other countries, etc.

I agree with your sentiment but completely disagree with your statement. Many songs have been chanted in history to invoke violence. I am still not for anyform of censorship.

You are correct my statement is wrong now I think about it...The National Anthem of the United States is a perfect example of this as I am sure Canada has a patriot song that inspires like emotions.

Art

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

There is a lot of 'art' that is offensive to a lot of people, if you don't like it, don't listen, don't look at it, don't read it!!

This reminds me that back in the early 90's the common council and mayor of Buffalo OK'd and paid for some neon light art where the Expressway started in downtown Buffalo....what they got (this is 100% true) was LARGE neon dancing penises with top hats and canes in different colors.....when Mayor Griffin seen that he ordered it to be taken down...but it was funny as hell for a week or so.. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

AYE CARUMBA......

The word has existed for many years.i have an Auntie Norman, who uses it on a regular basis, and i call 'her' that all the time, and 'she' loves it !!!! 'she' is one of the coolest 'guys' i know. I just got off the phone with 'her', and 'she' said that 99.9% of gays use the term as an endearment amongst themselves.So CRTC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!whats the big deal ?????mad.gif

I would defend all free speech and expression but I do not agree with your reasoning.

That is like saying my black uncle likes the n word so all black people should not have a problem with it so let's all use it.

My punctuation and spelling goes to the dogs when I am on the iPhone. My apologies.

Edited by Grimace

Not at all my friend, but there are bigger fish out there for these guys to be looking at. A word is just a word.There are tons of offensive words that exist in the englsih language, and we hear them everyday. Should we ban them all ? When something like this happens, it just points the spotlite at the word and associated people and cause way more harm than good.

I have 22 yrs of sobriety behind me, but i still call myself a DRUNK. Not all DRUNKS give a hoot about being called a DRUNK, but some take offense to it (usually those in denial). so lets ban the word DRUNK from the language. I,d rather be called a DRUNK, than a BUM, but thats just methumbsup_anim.gif

Let's face it, many and I mean many songs we hear on commercial radio have been edited from their original content, been happening as long as I can remember. What's different here is that it's happening 25 years after the fact as opposed to before it reaches the airwaves for the first time.

Truth is it will only bring more attention to it, watch for sales of Brothers in Arms to rise. ;)

I want a nasty little -------- princess with titanic----and sandblasted zits

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I may be vile and pernicious

But you can't look away

I make you think Im delicious

With the stuff that I say

I am the best you can get

Have you guessed me yet?

I am the slime oozin out

From your tv set

whistling.gif

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+zappa/#share

Mercman just in case you missed it in my posts. I am 100 percent opposed to any form of censorship.

I just did not agree with your line of reasoning when you brought up your uncle. That's all. No biggy.

No problemothumbsup_anim.gif i see your point.

Paul

I have 22 yrs of sobriety behind me, but i still call myself a DRUNK. Not all DRUNKS give a hoot about being called a DRUNK, but some take offense to it (usually those in denial). so lets ban the word DRUNK from the language. I,d rather be called a DRUNK, than a BUM, but thats just methumbsup_anim.gif

Boy, banning the word drunk would take it's toll on Country Western music.:whistling:

last week the movie Knocked Up was on television and im pretty sure every single word was said several times through the movie...but then again ...it was late and i suppose sensitive ears were sleeping .. :dunno:

i was actually surprised nothing was censored out ...not even the birthing of a child :huh: