border crossing advice

kickingfrog

I plan on crossing the border around noon on Boxing day, to go to the junior hockey games at 4pm and 8pm, the Canadian game is 4pm.

Conserns:

Our dollar is near par and the boxing day shoppers might number tens of thousands.

Bills home game against the patsy.

Eightteen thousand other hosers going to the game. :canadian:

So? Just do the normal thing, listen to the radio and pick the least busy bridge?

Edited by kickingfrog

Queenston-Lewiston has been badly backed up this week. I think it's due to shopping and heightened security. When I crossed today they had 8 car booths open and 2 truck booths. Backup was halfway across the bridge. Monday was worse.

Also today I noticed after clearing the booth they had Officers spot checking and referring at random to xray/dogs. If you're set on going, I would look into another bridge.

I'll be there again tomorrow; shoot me a PM if you want an update in case I forget to post back here.

there is no such thing as boxing day in the states.. only in canada i dont even thing the 26 is a holiday down there i know i leave for virginia on the 25 for some hunting and some stripper fishing ..

If the retailers of Buffalo and vicinity are smart, they'll have some boxing day sales...

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/304272--queen-city-bracing-for-a-wing-ding-of-a-boxing-day

I'm heading to the Buffalo Airport on Christmas day for a 3pm flight. I plan on leaving lots of time, but also am hoping the border is pretty quiet. I'm thinking the Peace Bridge is probably my best bet.

there is no such thing as boxing day in the states.. only in canada i dont even thing the 26 is a holiday down there i know i leave for virginia on the 25 for some hunting and some stripper fishing ..

While it is not called Boxing Day the day after Christmas is the day the stores put all of the Christmas decorations and over bought items on Mega sale to reduce inventory they carry over to the new year. Electronics and Christmas items are usually the sought after items.

Good luck on your trip down here if you are fishing for Stripers they are still around the Oceanside but stragglers are in the Chesapeake but scattered.

Art

I have been working with US customs at Queenston the last few months for a work project. During one of our discussions, the jrs cometition came up and what they expected the impact would be. The senior operations officer for the Port of Buffalo (which includes the Peace Bridage and the Queenston Lewiston crossing) said they are expecting a very large number of people from all over the world to attend (sorry, cant remember the actual number but it was in the 10s of thousands). He said ALL of his border officers would be working for the whole period of the games. He anticipated line ups in the "several hour" category from mid-morning through most of the day. His comment was "if you're planning on coming, be there early" he meant by 6 - 7 am. This was basically due to the hotel availablity issue.

Got a nexus card?whistling.gif

The fan 590 had a suit from the group hosting the turny on the other day. The vast majority of the tickets sold have been to Canadians and the border is aware, and are going to have all lanes open. Fingers crossed.

As stated, I am planing on crossing 4 hours before the game, but I will have my water wings in the car just in case. :thumbsup_anim:

If you're down there I'll be easy to spot, so say "Hi', I'll be wearing a red team Canada jersey. :canadian: Can you say? Where's Waldo?:rofl2:

Any recommendations on tackle stores?

Don't bother with the box tackle stores...go to Rainbow Sports in North Tonawanda..Store is MUCH larger than it looks from the outside because it goes way back to the next block....they have everything and anything including OLD stuff you can't get elsewhere.