Back from Cuba ( now with Pics)

Crazyhook

120650.jpg

Got in last night from Cuba and had a great time. We stayed at the NH Krystal in Cayo Coco. Service was excellent food was food ( got to love lobster every day!) and the fishing was great as well. Beer was cold and the Sun was hot

120643.jpg

I did not head out on a flats charter as planned as it was windy all week. Decided to hang around the resort and fish the differet Lagoons and flats there.

Hooked two nice tarpon at night and both jumped and were free.

caught 35 cudas during my trip. 4 were over 10 pounds but most were small (1-4 pounds). Had one cuda get eaten by another as well... got broke off about 15 times too. I was fishing with a medium action spinning rod and 10 pound mono. Ran out of leaders and had to go au natural. Night time during the incoming tide provided the best action and produced the biggest fish including this 5 pound cubera snapper on a topwater storm bait .

120644.jpg

I gave a go at fly fishing in the wind and caught my first cuda on the fly.. little guy but it fought great on my 8 weight

First Cuda on the fly ( ate a white deciever)

120642.jpg

here are the numbers

35.5 Cudas, 15 bite offs, countless follows and topwater strikes

1 cuda on the fly ( few follows as well)

2 Cubera snappers

2 lost tarpon

1 lost lady fish

126 cold cuban beers

4 margaritas

1 awesome time

my daughter thought this cuda needed to plump up a bit and tried to feed it some bread

120648.jpg

caught this little guy on my second cast right beside our room

120641.jpg

who says snapper are bottom fish!?

120645.jpg

average size cuda for the resort,

120646.jpg

Glad to be home and can't wait to go back

Edited by Crazyhook

35.5 Cudas, 15 bite offs, countless follows and topwater strikes

1 cuda on the fly ( few follows as well)

2 Cubera snappers

2 lost tarpon

1 lost lady fish

126 cold cuban beers

4 margaritas

1 awesome time

priceless for everything else theres matercard lol gladyou had a good time and welcome back to the cold.

Joe where are you staying?

there are no places to by takle so stalk up now!

1/8 jighead with a white 3" gulp minnow cast and retrieve very quickly. Even cast in 6" of water there are fish everywhere.

I would buy 3 packs of that bait, I ran out on the second day.

For night time fishing get a storm topwater chugger in blue and silver ( get a few)

small rapalas worked for a friend I made down there, a casted out a huge storm plastic bait and it got torn in two on the second cast.

also bring small hooks and split shots. Make frinds with someone from the kitchen and they will give you shrimp which are gerat for bottom fish. if you need tips let me know!

Guest gbfisher

Nice snappers. :thumbsup_anim: ..should have taken them back to the hotel and had em cooked for you. It is no wonder you still had a lure left after catching one of them brutes. Tough fish!.

..Night fishing RULES.WTG..

Welcome back! Posting the pics of the fish was great but did you REALLY have to show the swimming pool and the great sunshine?? LOL Glad to hear that you had fun and caught some nice fish!

bly