What can BROWN do for you?!

johnnyb

I was able to get down to the Whirlpool yesterday with a few fishing buds, in search of some fall bows. I brought with me my new centerpin setup, which I've never used, along with an 11' spinning combo as backup, and, despite some healthy ribbing from my companions, a baitcasting outfit for chucking spoons.

At 6am there were already 10 cars parked at the top of the stairs, and I was hoping that the wind whipping across the parkway would be diminished once I got to the bottom. Didn't matter....the walk down had me warmed up plenty!

Since it was dark, and neither of my long rods were rigged up, I grabbed the baitcaster and clipped on a Cleo. As day slowly broke, I started to see the odd hook-up around me....and it seemed that the other anglers down there were also chucking hardware, so I figured I'd wait a bit longer before attempting the pin....despite the heckling I was being subjected to.

Around 8:30 the sun actually started to make an appearance, but I still hadn't had a sniff. One of my companions was talking to someone who had already had a couple fish on...I heard the guy talking about getting down deep...at least 10 feet. I figured a few more casts with a different spoon were justifiable before sidelining myself with rigging and figuring out how the heck to cast with the float reel. Tied on a nice heavy lucky strike...at least a 1/2 oz if not 3/4...longer narrower profile than the Cleo. Bombed it up-current....and didn't retrieve an inch of line....just let it sink as it went past me. Felt bottom tick-tick-ticking along....started to reel....and BAM!! Fish on!!! w00t.gif

65836_10150115593761201_595006200_7818319_3371998_n.jpg

Not too shabby....downside was she absolutely inhaled the spoon, and was bleeding pretty badly...so she made the trip home with me. This definitely warranted another cast with the spoon...so out it went....and in came another brown!!!

154900_10150115594021201_595006200_7818324_4841319_n.jpg

Hmmm....maybe I've figured out a bit of a pattern here....a couple casts later...and whammo! Brown #3!!! thumbsup_anim.gif

154243_10150115594101201_595006200_7818326_1606460_n.jpg

And then....everything settled down. A couple bumps here and there in our group...still saw a few guys hooking up now and then....but the action definitely seemed to have died down.

Fluttering the spoon along bottom definitely seemed to work, but I know that the timing was just as crucial....those fish clearly moved in with breakfast on their minds...it's not like the pattern held up for me once they decided feeding time was over.

By the time I was ready to relinquish my "bass tackle", we decided we'd had our fun and it was time to head up the 207 stairs to the car.

Not a bad way to spend the morning at all...too bad I didn't touch my new centerpin....but there's always next time rolleyes.gif

Dear Mr. JB,

I am writing to you to inform you of my utter contempt for you. How dare you only go fishing once in a while (using as your pathetic excuse family and work commitments) yet attract the attention of such magnificent piscatorial specimens, and then shamelessly flaunt said fantastical creatures in a most cruel way through the medium of photography on a public forum. Shame on you once again for being solely responsible for evoking the vilest of emotions (jealousy). To add insult to injury, you do all this unsavoury work at a time when I find myself extraordinarily unable to access safe ice and catch a fish for myself

I hate you most thoroughly

Yours Sincerely,

Limeyangler

PS....WTG....AWESOME REPORT, PICS, AND FISH :thumbsup_anim::clapping::worthy::worthy:

Edited by limeyangler

whats up with the last two pictures?

those eyes look evil

I know...not really sure what was going on there....I was happy...really.... dunno.gif

Dear Mr. JB,

I am writing to you to inform you of my utter contempt for you. How dare you only go fishing once in a while (using as your pathetic excuse family and work commitments) yet attract the attention of such magnificent piscatorial specimens, and then shamelessly flaunt said fantastical creatures in a most cruel way through the medium of photography on a public forum. Shame on you once again for being solely responsible for evoking the vilest of emotions (jealousy). To add insult to injury, you do all this unsavoury work at a time when I find myself extraordinarily unable to access safe ice and catch a fish for myself

I hate you most thoroughly

Yours Sincerely,

Limeyangler

PS....WTG....AWESOME REPORT, PICS, AND FISH thumbsup_anim.gifclapping.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

huh.gifohmy.gifw00t.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Thanks buddy....you know I always think of how I can hit you the hardest. I figure the best way I can manage to make up for a gazillion walleye is with a couple of fat browns cool.gif

Thanks everybody for the kind words :D

I know...not really sure what was going on there....I was happy...really.... dunno.gif

huh.gifohmy.gifw00t.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Thanks buddy....you know I always think of how I can hit you the hardest. I figure the best way I can manage to make up for a gazillion walleye is with a couple of fat browns cool.gif

Thanks everybody for the kind words :D

good on you dude...beatiful browns you got there