Salmo Chubby Darters?

Eazy

I have couple, one is yellow perch and another one a little smaller colored as a shiner. They were doing pretty well on pike but it is true they are far not a first weapon I use :) Jigging Rapalas are #1 for sure :)

I'll give the perch Salmo another try tomorrow while jigging for walleye at BOQ.

Edited by Alex R.

We have had success with them, Lakers love them along with stocked rainbows. Have caught walleye and stocked brook trout with them also. Mainly steel blue color with orange or chartreuse bellys and a little red color mixed in.

Can someone explain how you work these things?

I have a Lindy Darter, and I've never gotten a single fish to hit these at all. I've had times where I fish were very interested according to the fishfinder, but they never seem to commit.

I use the Lindy Darter a lot for walleye and lake trout up here in NW Ontario. Jigging should bring fish in.... they usually hit on the pause. When I mark one on the flasher I'll hold still and wait for the hit. Another technique to get hits is to slooowly raise the bait up, up and up trying to invoke a chase from the fish. They are great for aggressive fish, more difficult to entice a strike from a neutral/negative fish. Hard to beat live bait for those situations.

Bottom line is confidence.... get confidence and the bait spends a lot more time in the water and consequently catches more fish.

The best advise I could give someone would be to get inside a hut on some clear water. I had a slow afternoon on simcoe a few years ago and pulled just about everything out of my "icebox". Watching how each bait reacted to my rod movements was invaluable.

I like the darter and so do the perch on softwater. :Gonefishing:

Watched a fellow fisherman "Kill" crappies through the ice on Scugog with Salmo,s 2 or 3 winters ago. Bought a few...but have never produced with them the way I do with my tried and true stuff dunno.gif

Sounds like a fishing story to me Steve! You cant even catch a cold with those thingswhistling.gif If anyone wants to get rid of them send them over this way and i will make sure i destroy them asapcanadian.gif

Chubby Darters are jigged fast. Rip them up a couple of feet, then let them fall. You can feel them wiggle on the jig up, then they just go whatever direction on the fall, wiggling all the way. They do make a lot of "noise" in the water column.

I never had much confidence in the chubby darter...tried it a few times...then got a Lindy Darter and bing bang boom I was catchin' fish! They're very similar baits...so I'm sure confidence is the main difference for me. But just do what Ben mentioned above....great for bringing fish in, and getting those aggressive ones out of the way quickly.

I never had much confidence in the chubby darter...tried it a few times...then got a Lindy Darter and bing bang boom I was catchin' fish! They're very similar baits...so I'm sure confidence is the main difference for me. But just do what Ben mentioned above....great for bringing fish in, and getting those aggressive ones out of the way quickly.

Curious - do the lindy and salmo lures have different action? I know they have rattles but otherwise thought they were exactly the same. (and quite a knock-off job)