Vehicle deer whistles?

SBCregal

Has anyone used one of those deer whistles that you put on your car? supposed to help avoid accidents and what not? I plan on driving from Oakville through northern Ontario and out to Calgary around the middle-end of April, and quite obviously would like to do what I can to avoid hitting anything big :) Other than paying attention and driving properly does anyone here have any tips on avoiding an unfortunate event like that? Also going to avoid driving at dawn/dusk as much as possible. Thanks guys and gals

Ryan

One of the ways you get a deer to stop running and pause is to whistle at them. It might have the same effect when they are crossing the road. The best advise is to brake as much as you can and still be under control and steer for the rearend of the deer. Dusk to dawn are also high traffic times for deer movement.

Art

I had them on my old car, never saw a deer, don't have them on the car I'm driving now and I've had a couple of close call now. Do they work? i don't know, but for the minimal cost of them...I'd use them if I could find the ones I had again.

Maureen

They sell them in the 7/11 stores here. Don't know if I'd want one on my vehicle during Bullwinkle's rutting season. I've never used them but I know a couple of folks that would never use one again. Guess why?

Aunt Peg says Hello Ryan.

Just make sure you mount them the proper way, if you mount them backwards they will attract the deer to your car.

LOL, just kidding, I have read a couple studies on these as well and they have supported the claim that they have no effect....

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

They don't work for skunks :whistling:

We put a couple on the vehicle we took to Red Lake last fall. On the entire trip up (almost 24hrs driving), we saw one mammal. It was a black and white stinky sot, and we hit it :unsure:

We did see a couple whitetails one night on the drive back, they were off the side of the road watching us go by.

Southern Ont. to Calgary is a long drive. They're cheap - throw a couple on and let us know how you make out. I know one report from 7 years ago won't stop me from trying them again.

I think that deer whisltes are stupid.

Most animals are curious.......... "Hey Buck! you hear that whislting?" Yeah Doe I do!!" Well buck lets go check it out!" " but it might be a car!" " Doe..... Cars don't whistle...C'mon lets check it out>>>>

I know thats not what happends but I mean really... a whistle from the wind? that means when the winds a whistleing the deer are freaking out!! lol

Sorry for the stupidness BUT IT FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

I read a report in a magazine years ago that said they didn't work. The article also said that what good would they be anyway as any noise made by them would be downwind of the vehicle with them. Any noise, whether audible or inaudible to humans created by the whistles would be heard behind you, not in front of you.

So then maybe this theory is telling us to drive behind cars that have them to be safe? :dunno:;)

A physics professor, who has a wind tunnel at my local university workplace, was also asked to evaluate them.

Conclusion, after a month of testing........................................................NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No audible responses could be sufficiently discerned from them, at varying wind speeds, and he tested a few brands.

Go ahead and believe your own personal experiences with them if you want, the science does not support it.

Dude..you have a wind tunnel at work???Why would you ever go home???There are so many things I would like to test in a wind tunnel.What is the top speed of this tunnel?How soon can I come visit you?Will they let my golf cart over the border without papers?Are chickens considered contraband there?Inquiring minds want to know...

Joe

What is it about wind tunnels that interests guy...

OH YA, we get to imagine throwing different objects in and seeing them smash against a wall at a high rate of speed. AND we can even research how to make our golfcart more aerodynamic!

I love it!