Does anyone know someone who was nailed for NOT having their BOATERS CARD this year ?

darsky

I sold my Sportspal to frozen-fire on this board and went kayak only for the last few years. Even powered by an electric trolling motor I would have had to get the card. Now if I want to fish in a bigger boat I just rent and don't need the card. This is such an obvious money grab. When I was on Scugog last year the OPP came checking two boats near me but didn't bother me in the kayak. I could hear one guy asking the officer why he doesn't check me out as well but I couldn't hear his answer. I hope you all know this isn't the end of the money grab as I'm sure new regs will soon come in to tax you on the size of your motors for "environmental impact". Just don't be surprised when it happens.

Guest gbfisher

There is no registry for it Andy.. TTBOMK they can't look it up. Wanna buy a card? :D

I thought was where you took the test. Some of them are registered and some of the tests are not. :dunno:

Just what I heard is all.

I have 4 cards as my orignal lost its writting. Rubbed off, go figure.

One in the boat, one in my wallet, one left at home...and one in my wifes purse.(don't ask about that one)

No offense but they should not have to look it up. You could give them anyones name. Same reason they wont look up a drivers licence. Carry it with you and you wont have any problems. Plain and simple. I got stopped on Quinte by a not so nice Female officer with an attitude one morning this summer. She even checked my Fire extinguisher. I had to give her copy of insurance, Bill of sale for boat,Boat registration papers, all safety gear including Flares. Fishing Licence and Boaters card. I had more then I needed and everything was in a neat little package. I was wearing my life jacket as I usually do and she was a little angry to say the least. I had told her please come aboard and find something as I would love to know if I had something out of place. I preceeded to calm her down by giving her a coffee from my thermos. She then chuckeled and said if everyone was like you ,my job would be easy. I told her that if that was the case she would be doing it from a desk. Goes to show she like everone else can have a bad day. Maybe she had allready fined a bunch of guys for leaving it in the truck. :w00t:

Luck they didnt ask for all the stuff mentioned above. This stuff needs to be carried also. Same guys who complain about these guys doing their job are the same guys that complained that something needed to be done before. Who cares if its a cash grab. Something got done about it and Im sure people got a little more responseable for it. You will always find the usuall idiot racing around and the card wont fix that, they usually fix themselves and make the papers. Sadly in the wrong section but it is what it is. Piont in case, if you have the card carry it, and all required safety gear. Then you will have a great day of fishing. :dunno:

I'm exempt from the money grab because I'm a American.... ;)

Well maybe not not necessarily.

Your only exempt if it's your own boat which has been in Canada less than 45 consecutive days.

If the boat is not registered in your name or left in Canada at your cottage for the season, you are not exempt from the proof of competency rules.

I got stopped on Quinte by a not so nice Female officer with an attitude one morning this summer.

I had to give her copy of insurance,*******

Not legally required to have insurance for a boat or to carry proof of insurance even if you do have it.

I'm not saying, "it's a good idea to not have insurance" just that it isn't legally required, or at least yet.

Rick

Guest gbfisher

No offense but they should not have to look it up. You could give them anyones name. Same reason they wont look up a drivers licence. Carry it with you and you wont have any problems. Plain and simple. I got stopped on Quinte by a not so nice Female officer with an attitude one morning this summer. She even checked my Fire extinguisher. I had to give her copy of insurance, Bill of sale for boat,Boat registration papers, all safety gear including Flares. Fishing Licence and Boaters card. I had more then I needed and everything was in a neat little package. I was wearing my life jacket as I usually do and she was a little angry to say the least. I had told her please come aboard and find something as I would love to know if I had something out of place. I preceeded to calm her down by giving her a coffee from my thermos. She then chuckeled and said if everyone was like you ,my job would be easy. I told her that if that was the case she would be doing it from a desk. Goes to show she like everone else can have a bad day. Maybe she had allready fined a bunch of guys for leaving it in the truck. :w00t:

Luck they didnt ask for all the stuff mentioned above. This stuff needs to be carried also. Same guys who complain about these guys doing their job are the same guys that complained that something needed to be done before. Who cares if its a cash grab. Something got done about it and Im sure people got a little more responseable for it. You will always find the usuall idiot racing around and the card wont fix that, they usually fix themselves and make the papers. Sadly in the wrong section but it is what it is. Piont in case, if you have the card carry it, and all required safety gear. Then you will have a great day of fishing. :dunno:

lol...Ya....my names different than all the other info I just handed over. ins,ownership,bill of sale,fishing license, registration. Yup....the names Clod and this is someone elses boat and I carry all of their info with me....:) except their license which they keep in their wallet...

..Unfortunately they can't check so it seems but could give people 24 hours to produce.

I wonder what happens if I come South to boat?

I live in the NWT the only province/territory that doesn't require you to get the card. :whistling:

I've had my card for about 10 years but it would be fun to see what happened if I got stopped and said I didn't have or need one because of where I lived. :lol:

Well maybe not not necessarily.

Your only exempt if it's your own boat which has been in Canada less than 45 consecutive days.

If the boat is not registered in your name or left in Canada at your cottage for the season, you are not exempt from the proof of competency rules.

Morning Woody, I knew that....it was more of a tongue in cheek response.

I got pulled over on the French this past summer pulling the nieces and nephews on the tube. They kindly waited until the kids were off the tube and in the boat before they stopped me.

They checked for life jackets, bail bucket and flashlight, and asked me for my card. I had left my wallet in the cottage, and let it go at that and gave all the kids a little package of rockets for wearing their life jackets!thumbsup_anim.gif

They stopped me later that afternoon while i was fishing and checked my card out. I think they are a little more concerned that the kids were safe etc rather than the op. card.

Edited by stubbex

There is no central data base for the operators card. I wonder if this went to court and you had a lawyer, what would happen if you said you lost your card. Just a thought.

What would happen is the judge would say, sorry friend, but the onus is on you to produce it when asked. You can pay your $300 fine at the clerk's desk on the way out.

I got stopped 4 or 5 times this year. Once by the MNR and the rest by the OPP. MNR has always been very pleasant to deal with. Never had a problem with them. I've had the odd OPP officer power tripping/having a bad day or something, once or twice. Had one tell me he was going to give me a ticket for not having my lights on... and the sun was still up. Ended up just giving me a warning

I've never been asked for it. I did however get asked to show my anchor one time. The OPP officer was "pretty sure" that my floating rope attached wasn't legal, and wanted to give me a fine for something. I showed him my back up anchor with a non floating rope, so he let me go with a "warning". I had to ask him if he wanted to see my boaters card!!! I guess he lost his train of thought with the floating anchor rope?? I dunno LOL

s.

I wonder what happens if I come South to boat?

I live in the NWT the only province/territory that doesn't require you to get the card. :whistling:

I've had my card for about 10 years but it would be fun to see what happened if I got stopped and said I didn't have or need one because of where I lived. :lol:

Be prepared to get nailed.

The exemption that you speak of only applies (or at least currently) when your in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut. Also applies to anyone resident or not in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut.