Ice drill adapter for electric augers

Keenan

Guest gbfisher

Has anyone ever tried these? Wonder if they work good or are they a waste of money? Thanks in advance.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/IceFishing/PRDOVR~0788167P/Electric%252BIce%252BDrill%252BAdapter.jsp?locale=en

If they were any good they'd stop building gas powered machines. Just my opinion.

A hand auger works better and longer than any electric and when the ice gets thick...there's nothing like a gas powered auger to burn as many holes as you need.

I average 30 holes each time out. That's only two people fishing. Bring 4 or 6 with you and you'll be happy you brought extra gas for the auger. :D

If they were any good they'd stop building gas powered machines. Just my opinion.

A hand auger works better and longer than any electric and when the ice gets thick...there's nothing like a gas powered auger to burn as many holes as you need.

I average 30 holes each time out. That's only two people fishing. Bring 4 or 6 with you and you'll be happy you brought extra gas for the auger. :D

I don't drill enough holes in a day for the gas auger to pay for it self, thanks for your opinion and quick reply.

Guest gbfisher

I don't drill enough holes in a day for the gas auger to pay for it self, thanks for your opinion and quick reply.

Buy a hand auger. You'll just burn your electric drill out or destroy the gears inside. Not made for toque like you'll need for the ice. Fin bore III makes a good drill.

HMMMMMMMMM I got an order to make an attachment yesturday.Sure hope it works for this guy,cause it cost him big,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my time is expensive.

And Andy,those fin3 are sweet blades.Dought they would put much strain on a heavey duty cordless.You dont even have to put any pressure on those augers.They cut just by turning. :dunno:

The drill auger is a good concept, but a bad idea if you want to drill more than 20 holes a season. When your out on the ice, the last thing you want is one of your essential tools (Auger, heater, rod/reel slush scooper, portable hut, ect....) To fail.

Do your self a favor, don't waste your time with this idea, and buy either a new or used gas auger which will be dependale, and get the job done when needed the most.

Although not a problem with me, some guys don't like it if you come ice fishing, ill prepared and have to resort to asking for a couple holes to be drilled.

Edited by Chancho

I have 2 gas augers and a hand auger that I can switch back and forth from hand to drill in about 20 seconds and the adapter was made for me and I am going to give it a try, then I can say whether or not it works..... it's for perch fishing early season

an I have an real good battery drill to try with not a CTC piece of crap

I had an adapter made up at a machine shop last year.

It worked alright until the ice got over 12". Once the ice was 20"+, we were lucky to get two holes drilled per battery on an 18V Craftsman drill.

I just picked up a gas auger at Costco yesterday...no more worries.

Every auger has its good points and bad.

hand augers are great, when the blades are sharp.

gas augers are great when the blades are sharp and the auger runs...lol

Like Tracker say's- here dann, start this thing cause i cant find where the key goes in.LOL :dunno:

I have a dewalt drill I been using at work for 15 years.I only drill steel with it.

IT has drill holds in 8 inches of steel and up too 4 inch hole.

The first thing I did was replace the key-less chuck for a keyed one.

This highly reduces chuck slippage.Slippage is what kills drills.