Why do Fishing shows promote this ?

AverageJoeFishing

I've seen this for the last time on a fishing show! It's really starting to irritate me... I was watching a fishing show the other day , won't mention the name of the show but they caught a Largemouth Bass and the lure was logged in the fishs mouth... They said we are gonna cut the line and the hook will rott out. That is what I can say pure bull ! Just this year I have two times where I can prove that this is not true !! One of those times is I caught a 15" walleye and kept it as a eater, when I cleaned it I noticed something weird in his belly so I opened him up. What did I see was two 1/4oz jigs in his stomach!! The bait that was on the jigs where long gone nothing was in the stomach except those jigs, I'm surprised it didn't puncture his stomach but after a while I'm sure it would have. The worst part is that the jigs still looked like brand new with no corrosion at all! Who knows how long they have been in there! One more example is that I went fishing with one of my buddy's on a saturday and he got his line cut off at one time, we didn't think anything of it. The next saturday , exactly 7 days later I returned to the exact spot and was I was fishing for walleye and I caught one about 16" long. When I got the fish in the boat I noticed something logged in his throat ? I looked it at it closely and it was the jig my friend lost the weekend before !! It was hooked right in the throat and I know it was my friends jig from a week before because I gave him that jig to fish with , so I remembered the size and the color. I decided to remove it and it still looked like brand new no sign of corrosion at all and we're talking about a week later??? Obviously this walleye would of died it couldn't eat , it had a jig in it's throat!

If ever you have a fish with a hook logged deep inside him and you want to cut the line and release it, my tip of advice is don't leave the hook in him! If you can't remove the hook safely just keep the fish and have yourself a snack! There's nothing wrong with keeping some fish for eating, even if your a catch and release guy and you never keep fish or just hate to eat fish. Find someone who loves to eat fish like a relative or a friend, someone would enjoy eating fresh fish I know I would!! Don't let your fish suffer with a hook logged in him , would you like to have a hook logged in your throat ? I know I wouldn't !!

It's awesome to catch and release but don't make your fish suffer !

that's fine

except

about 80% of the walleye I catch are in the slot and I have to return them no matter what

and if the jigs where in the stomach, chances are the were bit off and swallowed the fisherman never saw them

a fish with a hook in it has more chance to live then one in the frying pan

that's fine

except

about 80% of the walleye I catch are in the slot and I have to return them no matter what

and if the jigs where in the stomach, chances are the were bit off and swallowed the fisherman never saw them

a fish with a hook in it has more chance to live then one in the frying pan

The fish dosen't have a chance if the hook is logged in his throat or stomach? Would u survive if you would have a hook logged in your throat?

Edited by AverageJoeFishing

The fish dosen't have a chance if the hook is logged in his throat or stomach? Would u survive if you would have a hook logged in your throat?

fish and people are to very different things so you can not use that as an argument

I am not a fish but I did swallow a nickel ....so far so good, I am glad they didn't cook me..

everything I read/ everything I have been told says they do dissolve.....

if I think a legal fish is going to die I will keep it of course

but again I do not think that your fish with2 jigs in it's stomach even left the water so the fisherman couldn't do anything

This will be a problem as long as fishing, the way it is, exists. As Terry mentioned, there's no choice when the fish is out of season, or out of the slot. I'm not sure what the lesson is supposed to be here.

fish and people are to very different things so you can not use that as an argument

I am not a fish but I did swallow a nickel ....so far so good, I am glad they didn't cook me..

everything I read/ everything I have been told says they do dissolve.....

if I think a legal fish is going to die I will keep it of course

but again I do not think that your fish with2 jigs in it's stomach even left the water so the fisherman couldn't do anything

Yes i know the hooks in the stomach the fisherman probably didn't know thats not why i brought up that , my point is that they don't disolve.. It's bull! I've read it in this summer's issue of ontario of outdoors and i've seen it with my own eyes that they don't. If they do it takes a awfull long time for them to disovle !

I caught a 15" walleye and kept it as a eater, when I cleaned it I noticed something weird in his belly so I opened him up. What did I see was two 1/4oz jigs in his stomach!!

Well you are right, that fish did not survive :rolleyes:

This is my opinion and sorry i'm not making a fish suffer ... They don't disovle it's just the facts, and for slot size fish and out of season fish well it's your call if you wanna keep it or not. One tip of advice is don't wait hours to set the hook !!! And i'm far from a poacher but if i catch a slot size walleye and it will die i'm sorry but i'm gonna keep it! I've told it to the M.N.R's on my region that I will ... It never happend yet hope it dosent happend but if it does , it's not gonna go to waste for seagulls !

This is my opinion and sorry i'm not making a fish suffer ... They don't disovle it's just the facts, and for slot size fish and out of season fish well it's your call if you wanna keep it or not. One tip of advice is don't wait hours to set the hook !!! And i'm far from a poacher but if i catch a slot size walleye and it will die i'm sorry but i'm gonna keep it! I've told it to the M.N.R's on my region that I will ... It never happend yet hope it dosent happend but if it does , it's not gonna go to waste for seagulls !

I love fish, care for the fish and our resources...but I also love my boat, equipment and my money....around here a deep hooked wally in the slot becomes animal food. Sorry! I hear what you're saying, but consequences can be harsh!

One tip of advice is don't wait hours to set the hook !!!

Here's some better advice if deep hooking a fish concens you. Fish barbless and don't use live bait. That's what I do. I haven't had a deep hooked or unreleasable fish in over a decade.

A good example here.

bouchhog4.jpg

I love fish, care for the fish and our resources...but I also love my boat, equipment and my money....around here a deep hooked wally in the slot becomes animal food. Sorry! I hear what you're saying, but consequences can be harsh!

Do you know that it's against the Law to waste a gamefish also?? So it can be quite the argument !! So if your fish dies you can be charged !

Here's some better advice if deep hooking a fish concens you. Fish barbless and don't use live bait. That's what I do. I haven't had a deep hooked or unreleasable fish in over a decade.

It never happend to me but the thought of fishing shows promoting this kind of behavior is awfull...

Do you know that it's against the Law to waste a gamefish also?? So it can be quite the argument !! So if your fish dies you can be charged !

You are playing with fire man, if it's out of the slot it goes back, if it's out of season it goes back.. Regardless if the hook is down it's throat or not.

and its also illegal to keep a slot sized fish.What a predicament...........................................................................dunno.gif

I brought this up before and looked at they ask a CO site and they said if the fish is OOS or in a slot you will be charged if it's in your posession .I beleive it is to stop poachers from keeping what ever they want by just saying they were deep hooked and would have died .I thought the same thing but I was wrong and can admit it :w00t:

I brought this up before and looked at they ask a CO site and they said if the fish is OOS or in a slot you will be charged if it's in your posession .I beleive it is to stop poachers from keeping what ever they want by just saying they were deep hooked and would have died .I thought the same thing but I was wrong and can admit it w00t.gif

Hey i love the slot size and really beleive in it and I've never kept one before but if it's gonna die sorry but I killed it I'm taking full responsibility for the fish, If i get charged or not. It's not like I would have 50 fish 20 of them in the slot I would only have one fish... I would bring it to court no problem, Sorry but my fish is not going to seagulls !

I guess it depends which you'd rather debate in court. If you release a fish with the intention/hope of it living... are you not only doing what you are supposed to do legally?(seagulls or hawks or any other animals need to eat too...circle of life...ecosystems?) The alternative...do you take on the argument that that slot sized fish in your live well or on your stringer is only there cuz a knuckle ball jig went too deep down his yap and you felt sorry for it and felt it better to release it to a pan of grease? I'm not saying your intentions are immoral or necessarily wrong...only illegal.

Hey i love the slot size and really beleive in it and I've never kept one before but if it's gonna die sorry but I killed it I'm taking full responsibility for the fish, If i get charged or not. It's not like I would have 50 fish 20 of them in the slot I would only have one fish... I would bring it to court no problem, Sorry but my fish is not going to seagulls !

very noble of you.i admire your conviction.but i would not risk my boat tackle and my hard earned money on a fish that might die and fulfill its destiny in life. to nourish another living thing in the food chain. the way i see it anyways.

I guess it depends which you'd rather debate in court. If you release a fish with the intention/hope of it living... are you not only doing what you are supposed to do legally?(seagulls or hawks or any other animals need to eat too...circle of life...ecosystems?) The alternative...do you take on the argument that that slot sized fish in your live well or on your stringer is only there cuz a knuckle ball jig went too deep down his yap and you felt sorry for it and felt it better to release it to a pan of grease? I'm not saying your intentions are immoral or necessarily wrong...only illegal.

I know exactly what your saying but seagulls I feed them my chips when im on the lake lol Like i said in other reply's I've never kept one illegally before but If i Kill a fish its my fault and i would feel bad leaving it to float there , it's my doing stretcher.gif Legal or not I would feel wrong leaving it there and to my mind it's considered as wasting and wasting in my mind is wrong in any way ... If it feels wrong Sorry but I can't do it that fish is coming with me and i'll be happy to know that it's been carefully cared for and not wasted... My mind would be at ease clapping.gif I'm always pissed when fisherman around here talk about how they caught over there limit of fish and kept everything and kept lots in the slot I'm against that tottally and always will be i hate fisherman who do that mad.gif I always release slots and sometimes i go fishing and don't even bring back a fish, I only catch and release on some days I only keep some for the dinner table from time to time... I even release the big ones over the slot that are "LEGAL" lots of friends that come with me get pissed off at me because i release big fish , but i think about the future if i kill this fish this fish might be carrying thousands of eggs and i'lll be killing thousands of fish!! sad.gif I don't wanna argue with anyone this is just my opinion you guys do what you want , I just beleive it's wrong to leave your own fish floating there sorry its just how i feel ...