Bolt Cutters

addymark

Within the last year I have started fishing for musky, and have listened to all the expert advice I have been able to read on this forum.

I have had pretty good luck with them and I recently bought bigger and better tackle and hope to catch a 40"+ this fall. I have all the equipment suggested by members, but regarding bolt cutters, I have only read "get them", "you need bolt cutters", "don't forget bolt cutters" hundreds of times, but never read anything on what I'm trying to accomplish with them. I know soon enough I will have one that absolutely inhaled a lure and I want to be quick and confident in getting that fish back into the water.

I understand get the lure out of the fish and put the fish back in the water ASAP, but are there certain tips/techniques any of you musky guys find work better than others? and what happens to the other end of the hook stuck in the fish's throat? fall out eventually? stay embedded?

and what about jaw spreaders vs. non puncture gloves etc.?

suggestions and advice greatly appreciated!

Bolt cutters can and will save a musky's life for every musky hunter one day they are very important to have.

Cutters are used if you have a badly hooked ski you can cut the hook out fast and get her back into the water also as you pointed out for a deep hooked fish you can use them to cut the hook out and yes from everything I have heard and read over the years hook's fill work loose from the fish if cut off.

As for cutters to use most musky hunters use knipex cutters as they are about the best out there but they cost alot more then the CTC ones. The ones from Prinsess auto or CTC are fine they will do the job but they are alot harder to get through a 6/0 hook. If you have cheaper one for now that would do for the rest of this season if you get to the USA or are heading to the Muskies Canada Odyssey in April there is usually some one selling them around $45 Canadian.

I use jaw spreaders if needed but most of the time I dont need them.

Mike has covered it all. If you can afford the Knipex cutters, get them. They are definitely worth it. If I'm fishing by myself I don't even try to take the hooks out, I reach for the cutters right away. It only takes one minute to put a new hook on after you release your fish. Gloves are good investment as it gives you a little more confidence when you handle the fish. As for spreaders, I have them in the boat but rarely use them.

Just to add one more thing, having a set of split ring pliers makes life easier as well. This video although they are using if for jewelery will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. If you have an old set of needle nose pliers around you can make your own. Heat up one end and bend the point and trim off the other side down a bit.

Hope this helps.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1350062/4657005

Eventually, every Muskie Angler will have to cut a hook thats in yourself!

After you've landed(Netted, Large Muskie net, fish remains in the water) a few Muskies and had the option of cutting hooks you'll see why you should have them! Sometimes its quicker,safer(for you and the fish) and easier to cut hooks...

It's always better to have the tools and not need them than to need them and not have them. I have not used my cutters in two years and it's been about 5yrs since I used the spreaders. One thing I don't like is the Boga grips as I believe they do too much damage to a musky.

If removing the hook is going to cause further damage to the fish, or risk injury to myself, I cut it. I have 3 pairs of the CTC bolt cutters, and use them often, (cut the hooks on today's 48) but my next purchase is going to be a pair of the spring loaded Knipex cutters. The CTC ones are not very durable at all, but what can you really expect for $5-10 (when on sale). If the day ever comes that I have a big muskie on one hook, and the other in me - I want the best damn equipment available!!!

I like to keep ALL my release tools in the SAME place on the front deck ALL the time cause there's nothing worse than needing something right away and you can't find it. I can put my hand on whatever I need, even in total darkness, without even looking.

You get used to where they are and it just makes life simpler when you need a tool in a hurry.

Knipex cutters are expensive and you don't want to drop them in the drink when your cutting hooks in the net, and a good trick I learned from a friend was to attach them to a boat cleat with an extendable telephone cord. The one I use can reach anywhere in the boat and if I drop them over the side it's not a problem.

I had forgotten that Lew and its a good point for all your tools have them on the phone cord or extra pliers around if they go in the drink .

Go to the Dollar store but the phone cord 25' and a good quick snap or what ever they are called the best ones are used for rock climbing but the dollar store ones work good for your tools cut the ends off then crimp and tape or shrink tube them to your tools.

I've got the CTC bolt cutters, but I'll be upgrading to the Knipex soon, based on what everyone is suggesting.

I've never had to use the bolt cutters yet, as I pinch down the barbs to make the release as quick as possible. I know that I may lose the odd fish because of it, but I'm not a guide and I'm not going to fret over it.......until I lose a 50+ fish.

Cheers!

One big Knipex advantage is the one handed cutting ability.... The handle on my Crappy tire pair (they work great) but when in the open position the handles are almost a foot apart needing 2 hands to chomp down on the hook.

Canadian Tire sells a Mini-bolt cutter(one handed) Same size as the Knipex. You're using the smallest 'bolt cutter' they sell, I bought one when I started Muskie fishing...Two hands, no good!

theringlord.com

They are based in Saskatchewan. You can get your Knipex cutters there and they have a decent looking set of Split Ring Pliers for $11 and change. I bought my cutters from them a couple of years ago, they have good service and decent prices. Muskies Canada only sells the basic cutters, they don't have the spring loaded ones. Either will do the job but I think the spring loaded ones are easier to use.

The first time you stare into the net at 50"+ fish and it’s angry you'll know why you have bolt cutters. Most time unless the hook falls out or comes out on the first pull with needle nose I cut the hook. It’s the fast way the bait out of the net so the other hooks don’t damage the fish or you. But I don't leave any part of the hook in the fish. And if you are sharpening your hooks well they almost never fall out in the net. Good pair of split ring pliers and you are back in bussisness.

HPIM0249.JPG