Why Catch and Release Got Started

Garyv

I posted this picture many years back and since many on this board have come and gone so I thought I would post it one more time. It was taken in 1911 about 400 feet from where I live today on Lower Lake Huron. Sorry for the quality but the picture was emailed to me after being taken at a local museum.

The caption reads

"The total catch of 143 fish included 28 Perch and 115 Black Bass Seventy fish were given away before the picture was taken" No one realized then what would/could happen but must admit it had to be one heck of a good time for these two guys!

Lakevalg1911-1.jpg

wow....gotta love those early fishing pics,i saw one where they had about 30 muskies they caught while dragging a net through their spawning areas in wisconsin around the 1920's they had no clue back then about conservation or letting the fish spawn ...oh well im glad thats not the case anymore...cheers

C+R was started because the sport fishing industry sponsored TV fishing shows were breaking the law every show and the regs were changed to suit the poachers. Unlimited C+R was not legal till I think somewhere in the 80's. Before C+R the limit was a catch limit not a keep limit but was not enforced.