What fluorocarbon to use

nroadrunner

Hey Folks I have never used fluoro before looking to spool it on one of my reels. I currently have Abu 603 ALBi with 8lb mono and the spare spool has fireline braid ( not impressed gonna switch to power pro) . I picked up a ABU 503 ALBi for $34 on sale month or so ago at Canadian tire and I am thinking of putting fluoro on the main spool and maybe a heavy mono 14# or so on the spare spool. I live in muskoka and the lakes can be rocky so I was thinking of the fluoro for dragging tubes etc. I have a baitcaster BPS bionic reel with a BPS extreme rod ( it was cheaper this way than buying the bionic combo go figure LOL) it has 50# power pro braid which I use for topwater frogs and pitching weeds. I fish mostly for bass so any input on the best fluoro or if I should use it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

No need for the frogs, or weeds actually.

If you insist on using FC, XPS Fluoro, Seaguar, or the Spiderwire 100% wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Generally, you'd probably use anywhere from 15# to 25# test. I had the exact question about a month back, and for the most part switched over to not using any fluoro leader now.

Look up Garry2r's post on the albright special. I've been using that for a while, and that knot's gotta be the best possible knot you can tie to join leaders.

I can't believe you don't like the fireline braid though. That stuff is so smooth and much quieter compared to powerpro.

Just stick with the 50pound braid, and tie on a 6 foot 20 pound Flouro leader. Use a uni to uni knot. I use Pline and find it to be amazingly strong.

Hey Folks I have never used fluoro before looking to spool it on one of my reels. I currently have Abu 603 ALBi with 8lb mono and the spare spool has fireline braid ( not impressed gonna switch to power pro) . I picked up a ABU 503 ALBi for $34 on sale month or so ago at Canadian tire and I am thinking of putting fluoro on the main spool and maybe a heavy mono 14# or so on the spare spool. I live in muskoka and the lakes can be rocky so I was thinking of the fluoro for dragging tubes etc. I have a baitcaster BPS bionic reel with a BPS extreme rod ( it was cheaper this way than buying the bionic combo go figure LOL) it has 50# power pro braid which I use for topwater frogs and pitching weeds. I fish mostly for bass so any input on the best fluoro or if I should use it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

A little off topic but on topic enough for me to post it. I'll make it big to get my point across ;)

Rio Fluoro Leaders are second-to-none.

These guys make the best fly-fishing tippets, and their leader-material for tying to braid or mono is AMAZING. So, why are they good?

1) They're super strong and 'knick' resistent.

2) When you buy a spool you get 50 yards as opposed to 25 yards (like the other guys). I believe to this day that this is why BPS does not sell the Rio leaders (whereas they sell everything else by Rio). They want you spending $12 on 25 yards, not $12 on 50 yards.

3) I've used almost everything up to 12lbs test and am super impressed with their quality as opposed to what I think is second best - Seagur.

No, I don't work for them. I like how they save me money and have me catch more fish. Period.

As for straight fluoro, I can say Seagur has been good to me and I can say that Vanish is pretty awful.

Good Luck

Guest Rapala Boy

Hey Folks I have never used fluoro before looking to spool it on one of my reels.

Floro as main line = Mess

I learned the hard way

I'll be sure to look for it next time I am at BPS or Gagnon's.

How stretchy is it compared to Seaguar? Even with just a short leader of 3-4 feet, I can notice a loss of sensitivity.

They don't carry it at BPS - with Rio you get 50 yard spools as opposed to the standard 25, so they'd rather have you buy something else for $12 and get 25 yards as opposed to 50.

I'd say the stretch is comparable, but the Rio is less brittle.

You do lose some sensitivity with leaders, but you catch a helluva lot more fish with them too ;)

Flipping and for frogs straight braid no leader 50lb or 65lb.

Agreed,not to offend you nroadrunner but it seems from your responses that you are just beggining to sort through your setups in terms of when to/not use a FC lead and with what types of setups & technics.Best advice I could give you is put A LOT of though into these factors and research some,it should help you really key in on the best setups.

Edited by hirk

I used to use fluoro as a main line a few years ago and I didn't like it. It was not as limp as mono and would bird up to often. So I dumped it. I now just run a fluoro leader and it's done me fine. Plus it saves a lot of money. One thing I want to point out is that fluoro sinks so dragging tubes would be fine but if you want to fish top water or crank baits you should factor this in. Now some of the newer fluoros might be better and limper but I have not used any so I can't comment. Good luck which ever way you go.

Thanks for the responses. I was only gonna use fluoro for dragging tubes and senkos as my mono is getting knicked, and I read fluoro stands up to abrasives better. I may try running a fluoro leader instead of all fluoro, based on the responses.

Thanks for the help

Ian

Well after this season I have learned the hard way with two break offs on musky that I will not stray from Seagar again the only reason I did is I won two spools of Gamma and I know alot of people who use it so I figured that it should be good after the two I am DONE with them.

I tried Seguar Red Label fluorocarbon and didn't like it very much. Although affordable I won't buy it again. Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon is expensive but is worth the price. I used 15lb on my spinnerbait rod and enjoyed the line very much. Handled very well and is still long casting.