surprised no one said a thing

mercman

i was up to see Ed at paddletales in winchester yesterday. i always enjoy listening to him go on about something he truly loves. G Loomis unveiled thier new NRX rods in his store, and i got a chance to hold one.(cause i cant afford one). im no seasoned veteran but i could feel the quality radiateing through my wrist and up my arm. it was as if i was holding a pencil in my hand. i had to look to see if i hadnt dropped it and was holding nothing there. He went on about nano fibres developed by loomis specifically for fabricating rods. sheesh !!! i really feel like a newbie, but oh man im willin to learn real fast. ya have to see it and hold it to believe it.

I figured it would be a while before they hit the stores. They won best new product, or something like that, at icast this year. What is the going street price of them. I'm in the market for a new cranking rod and just might splurge on something nice.

I have my NRX rods right now and let me tell you, these are the lightest rods I have ever fished with. Sensitivity is unreal with them. I will even be putting in my order for their Fly rod next week to. Price is not bad IMO, not much more or pretty much on par with the GLX rods. I used the new DRopshot rod yesterday and fish dont stand a chance at all with this thing.

I figured it would be a while before they hit the stores. They won best new product, or something like that, at icast this year. What is the going street price of them. I'm in the market for a new cranking rod and just might splurge on something nice.

check out his site for the phone number and give him a call

http://www.paddletales.com/

he is very competitive in prices, cheaper than sail/baron, and ships anywhere.

Just for a test I placed the rod tip on my wifes throat and asked her to say something. You feel every vibration through the blank. I can tell you that every pebble, blade of grass or whatevers on the bottom you can tell what it is after just one day of use. The warranty is lifetime and you will get a wildcard mailed to you just in case you braek it you dont have to pay the expiditer service like others and I beleive you have to bring it into the store that sells them. If a rod is going to break it will do so the first few times out no matter what. THey even come with their own G Loomis cover. Finally a rod company thinking about the after sale. I will take a couple of pics of them in action this weekend and post them. Fishingworld has a full line right now but are selling fast. Some have been put on order they sold so fast.

What is the warranty like with Loomis?

With the NRX you get this "wild card" thig, which entitles you to one over the counter, no questions asked replacement, along side the lifetime warranty from manufacturers defects.

How would this rod compare to an ugly stik? Which would be more sensitive? Which would be lighter? At $47.50 these rods look pretty good. I will have to do a side by side by side comparison with the ugly stik the volteus and the nrx. The nrx is probably not as strong. I will try to touch the tip of the rod to the handle of the nrx when I go to the store (that is a good test of strength. You can do it with the ugly stik).

I guess I'm missing something here. As an old school oldtimer, I fail to comprehend $500+ for a commercially made bass rod. I think that I will put my next investment of that magnitude into something more "custom"....

Was at the Fishing World "debut" on Friday night.

Nice rods. Played with drop shot demo. They were giving away $150 fitted G'Loomis jackets with purchase of rod.

One guy who was there with his girlfriend asked if they were giving a jacket for each rod purchased. They said yes, so he passed his girlfriend a rod and said "here's one for you." Kinda like, she wouldn't have gotten a rod if there wasn't a jacket :dunno:

He actually walked out with 3 rods.

Any how, was nice to chat with Bob & Darren Izumi and get pictures with my son. Mark Kulik was there as well.

They had some food & drinks, and a sale on all bass gear.

Picked up some X-raps for the first time.

I guess I'm missing something here. As an old school oldtimer, I fail to comprehend $500+ for a commercially made bass rod. I think that I will put my next investment of that magnitude into something more "custom"....

What's the point of a custom rod if you can't utilize the best blank in the world? The tapers and actions are customized for technique specific uses, add on the hybrid guide system, custom reel seat and no 'custom' rod will come close to a NRX.

What's the point of a custom rod if you can't utilize the best blank in the world? The tapers and actions are customized for technique specific uses, add on the hybrid guide system, custom reel seat and no 'custom' rod will come close to a NRX.

Whether they are the best or not is yet to be determined. IMHO

At any rate these are a Shimano product with the Loomis name slapped on them.

I would also suspect the mark up on these over production cost to be considerable.

Nice rods. Played with drop shot demo. They were giving away $150 fitted G'Loomis jackets with purchase of rod.

The jacket was a nice touch, definately made the purchase easier to swallow. And are you saying you had one in your hands and didn't walk out of the store with it? Crazy talk!

I would also suspect the mark up on these over production cost to be considerable.

I guess one day on the water isn't enough to say it's the best blank in the world, but I can tell you it is the most sensitive rod I had ever used. And I have some pretty nice rods to compare it to.

How would this rod compare to an ugly stik? Which would be more sensitive? Which would be lighter? At $47.50 these rods look pretty good. I will have to do a side by side by side comparison with the ugly stik the volteus and the nrx. The nrx is probably not as strong. I will try to touch the tip of the rod to the handle of the nrx when I go to the store (that is a good test of strength. You can do it with the ugly stik).

47.50 ???? TRY 10 TIMES THAT.

We ALL have our price points. Some fish out of boats that are not designed specificity for fishing (oh the horror). I have caught fish on hand lines, a bamboo pole with string, cheap rods and some very expensive equipment. The price of the equipment did not impact my enjoyment of angling. It's just fishing whatever your budget. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Hey Spiel, I still have 2 of the originals(from way back in the day). One needs some love, can I talk to you about this over the winter?

I was with Loomis for a few years when I fished T's and guided. Was a great company to work with. Looking forward to checking out these new sticks.

Some people get it, some people dont !

and did someone compare an ugly stick to a loomis :blink:

I'll be getting a NRX for drop shotting and i'm sure a few more to add to my loomis collection

I believe his tung was firmly planked in his cheek.

As you said some people get it... some do not.

The rods can be compered, maybe not favourably, but a comparison can be made.

Two anglers of equal skill fishing side by side. Does the angler with a rod 10x more expensive catch 10x more fish?