First ever Steelhead!!!

Bly

Well, CC was nice enough to take me fishing for steelies this morning. I stopped by his place at 5:20am and picked up CC and Little C and headed straight for Tim Hortons. After fueling up with coffee we hit the road.

We arrived before sun up....the spot being empty, so that was nice…even though that didn’t last very long. It was a chilly -11C (-17C with the wind chill) and the water was pretty murky, but it’s been like that for a few days now and you’ve seen CC’s reports from earlier this week!

Little C had a fish on after only 5 minutes of being out there and landed this nice one!

gallery_137_78_92291.jpg

At about 7:30, the skunk that been on my back since early December finally came off!! After a nice fight, I landed this hen….my first ever steelie came in at 22.5”. (It’s a whole ½” bigger than ccmt’s, so I’m rubbing that in…lol). This one is a keeper so we can have some fresh roe and a nice little snack for later!

gallery_137_78_22503.jpg

Little C was getting a bit cold so I took him back to Timmies to get some warm drinks for everyone. While we were gone, CC landed this nice one.

med_gallery_137_78_89657.jpg

The wind picked up and the bite was off, so we decided to pack it in by 10:30 since it was getting quite cold again.

Now, since I’ve never taken roe before, I had to ask CC what to expect, He said to simply cut it open and it will come out attached to a skein. Well, I did this with my daughters watching…only there was no skein and they spilled out all over the place. My 15 year old said “Oh gross” and had to leave the room. Our 4 year old proclaimed “Ewwww….fish poo!!!”, but was riveted and had to stay and watch til I was done.

gallery_137_78_22213.jpg

Anyhow, thanks very much CC…I had a great time out there and learned a lot! If I was out there alone, I would have never netted it by myself. Thanks for letting me use your "special formula" roe as well. Now that I have my first steelie, you can go back and fish with ccmt again...lol

bly

LOOSE HEN !!! WOW!! LUCKY!!!

SHE WAS SOO CHROME I THOUGHT SHE WOULD OF BEEN TIGHT FOR SURE!!!

THATS AWSOME!!!

HAD A GREAT TIME BLY AND THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!

SUCKS THE SOUTH WINDS PICKED UP AND TURNED EVERYTHING TO MUD!!!

OHH WELL THATS HOW FISHIN GOES!!!!

TX AGAIN AND ANYTIME YA WANNA GO JUST DROP A LINE!!!

No surprise there. :lol:

Nice report, you'll have some nice bait for a while now.

LOL...thanks GbayGiant...I'm used to it now. She has the longest walleye by an inch and heaviest by 1/2 a pound. My only saving grace is I have two pikes to her zero...haha.

WTG Bly! Just a beautiful report with great pics. You did good!

Y'know what strikes me about this report? A lot of guys go out, fish, catch, take pics and report. That's a good thing. We have some pretty heavy hitters on this board, not the least of which is CC. Scott will take a person with little or no experience with steelies and put them on their first fish the first time out. That's a talent. CC, I reckon you're just a step down from Sainthood.

Thanks again and be well.....

WTG Bly! Just a beautiful report with great pics. You did good!

Y'know what strikes me about this report? A lot of guys go out, fish, catch, take pics and report. That's a good thing. We have some pretty heavy hitters on this board, not the least of which is CC. Scott will take a person with little or no experience with steelies and put them on their first fish the first time out. That's a talent. CC, I reckon you're just a step down from Sainthood.

Thanks again and be well.....

Yep...you said it Roy....when he has a "guest" with him fishing, he does all he can to make sure that they get a fish. When he took me steelheading, I caught my first ever chrome with his guidance (and his rod, his reel, his line, his terminal tackle his roe and gave me his 'hot' spot to fish in...LOL). He's told me that he feels twice as bad being skunked with someone he takes out than if he gets skunked alone.

Scott is a class act...and a great guy to fish with. Not everyone has the right touch when it comes to teaching the craft, but he's got it.

Actually...not to take away from Scott, but Fishindevil (Shawn) is the same way.

Thanks guys!

Great stuff .... were you on the left or the right of the 'flow' :)

Love that liquid gold ... if you really wanna now its terrible stuff ... but dont worry, I'll be happy t take it off your hands and give you some 'REAL' roe in it's place :) :) :)

Bly, I liked that not only did you catcha nice one :thumbsup_anim: ....you told us the truth about the cleaning part. So often we catch stuff but stop showing the full picture. In this case the hen was full of roe and your daughter left the room. Awsume job! (not that you made your daughter leave the room but that you showed her the way that it is!) O.K. now comes the :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Great report BLY and I love what Roy said too!

I've heard a loose hen's eggs are like liquid gold. Save them for sure and I'll show you how to make roe sacs if you'd like.

Cheers,

Joey

Eat your heart out guys! :lol:

And that right there is why I am proud to have Joey as Captain of TEAM 2!

Tony

Thanks everyone!

Roy, I think you put it best in regards to CC :worthy:, what a great guy!

Puckhead...I think you are absolutely correct about CC catching steel in a puddle if he wanted too!

good report!

just wondering, if you had squeezed her in the stomach, wouldn't the eggs had shot out as well?

I wish I could answer this question with some reasonable sense of confidence but the best I can do is :dunno:

"fish poo" out of the mouths of babes, great report, glad you had a great day, thanks for sharing. :clapping:

I guess you're hooked on steel now? :thumbsup_anim:

John

Don't know if I am hooked on them but it was a thrill and I now have at least a slight understanding of why people do get hooked! I have so much to learn about this kind of fishing.....would have walked away with another skunk if it hadn't been for CC.

Great report! Congrats on the PB ... too bad the conditions aren't going to be good tomorrow ... it just has to happen on a day when i don't have work .... o well

I understand all too well Victor.....similar to the reasons I haven't been able to get out as often this winter.

That's fantastic Carol. Way to go :thumbsup_anim:

I've heard a loose hen's eggs are like liquid gold. Save them for sure and I'll show you how to make roe sacs if you'd like.

Cheers,

Joey

Thanks for the offer Joey. Even though I have not caught any before now, I was "schooled" in tying roe in December by big brother and Fishin Devil (thanks again guys) and have spent several evenings practicing, at least now I have some roe worth tying!

Bly, I liked that not only did you catcha nice one :thumbsup_anim: ....you told us the truth about the cleaning part. So often we catch stuff but stop showing the full picture. In this case the hen was full of roe and your daughter left the room. Awsume job! (not that you made your daughter leave the room but that you showed her the way that it is!) O.K. now comes the :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Great report BLY and I love what Roy said too!

I try to teach both of my girls about "real" life. Sydney watched the entire process and even took the picture of the roe then announced that there was NO way she was eating it LOL

Thanks again everyone!

bly