Floro Leader to Braid (knots)

bigmac1984

Hello Everyone,

I've recently switched all my baitcasters and even my spinning reel to braided line. I am running 30lb braid on my spinning, 30lb braid on one of my baitcasters, and 50lb braid on the other baitcaster, all Spiderwire Stealth. In each case, i've tried tieing on a florocarbon leader (17lb on the baitcasters, 8lb on the spinning).

The trouble I am having is i am losing alot of lures (and fish) because the knots seem to be coming untied at the joint between the braid and floro when i set the hook and I don't know why.

I am using a bloodknot, or barrel knot. http://killroys.com/...-or-blood-knot/

Anyone have any insight into why this is happening? Any suggestions on better knots to use?

Thanks

Blood knot is not good.

Use a double unit knot.

I use this on my 30pd braid to 20 pound pline floro and 30 pound braid to 12 pound p-line floro. never had a problem and casts pretty smooth as the floro tag is pointed away from the outgoing line.

Double_Uni_Knot_Present.jpg

Make sure that when you tie your floro side that the know looks nice and clean. any bubbles or un evenness and cut it off and re tie. With your floro its a fairly brittel line so the knots have to be perfect or you will get breaks.

Edited by jedimaster

Yeah I lubricate before tightening. The only difference I can see that I have been doing is I pass the ends up through the same direction but didn't think it would matter. I have alot of issues just getting the knot tied, in alot of cases the tag ends pull through as I am tightening.

I will have to try the Uni to Uni knot, it seems fairly simple to tie. I found this link, just to confirm if this is the knot you are referring to.

http://www.netknots.com/html/double_uni_knot.html

Thanks.

Blood knot is not good.

Use a double unit knot.

I use this on my 30pd braid to 20 pound pline floro and 30 pound braid to 12 pound p-line floro. never had a problem and casts pretty smooth as the floro tag is pointed away from the outgoing line.

Double_Uni_Knot_Present.jpg

Make sure that when you tie your floro side that the know looks nice and clean. any bubbles or un evenness and cut it off and re tie. With your floro its a fairly brittel line so the knots have to be perfect or you will get breaks.

This is the best IMHO. Just make sure you use a good floro line! Vanish = BAD!

Uni to Uni Knot is good

Surgeon's Knot is both fast, easy to learn, and effective - start there and practice practice practice!!!! You can find yourself standing up and tying these in wind (and in the middle of a river in some cases) and you want them to be automatic.

Lubricate all your knots and use quality material only.

If you can find the RIO Fluoro leaders you'll be in luck. Bass Pro doesn't carry them - here's why people don't carry them - because you get 50 yards per spool, as opposed to 25 - AND IT'S THE SAME PRICE. It is the best leader material I have ever used, and it ties like a dream.

Also, try a switch to power pro the next time you need to buy braid, though spiderwire is alright too.

When using crankbaits and spinnerbaits etc. you probably don't need the leader. These are reaction baits and the fish attack them because they are fleeing. They don't take the time to look them over.

On jerkbaits, worms and Flukes etc. the bait moves slowly or stands still so a low visibility leader could help.

With poppers, Spooks and glide baits etc. a heavy Mono leader helps to keep the bait from running over the very limp braid.

As others have suggested the Uni to Uni is a strong knot that's easy to tie.

Garry2R's

Exactly what Garry2rs said. Does not matter for reaction baits when using them. They are quick moving baits. I use them on a couple of my jig rods when power fishing and just covering water, when I find them I switch to Floro but only in clear water. Why use the baid at all. Just rig with Floro and leave it at that. If you must use a leader, use the double uni , lube it and let dry for a few seconds and use glue. I always use super glue and I have never had a break off at the knot. When fishing clear water I have combos with just Floro and thats it. Straight Floro is better then relying on a knot. The more breaks in a main line the more chances you have in breaking them off. If you go to a fine wire hook there is not even a need to set the hook like a rockstar either, the fish hook them selves with just a small sweep.

I use Power Pro and the leaflet in the box advises using an Albright knot for larger diameter mono and as, for a given breaking strain mono is thicker than braid, that's what I use (it recommends uni to uni for similar diameters). The one time I had to pull for a break, the knot at the hook broke before the Albright knot did.

http://powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/powerpro/company/using_powerpro/knots.html

Just as a little follow up. I have been able to pull up 5 foot long pieces of logs off the bottom, turn a 20 foot bass boat around to point at a snag, and pull the boat in, with 20 pound pline and a uni to uni knot. I did allot of research on knot to knot strength tests and I think the uni to uni provieded the best shock strength when going from braid to Floro. I would have to see if I can find the article I read though.

I'm interested in Garry saying fluro-leaders are 100% not necessary on reaction baits - here's why:

Many times a successful technique with these reaction baits is the pause and retrieve method (particularly with heavier spinners, spin-minnows, rapala countdowns). It's like you're putting finesse to a reaction bait, and I can't see how not having a leader here doesn't hinder you a little. The pause allows the line to be more visible, and often on the pause, or on the immediate retrieve after the pause, you get a strike.

I know Garry is a great angler, but that's just my two cents ;)

I use the uni to uni as well, but I've had a few little cleos fly off along with the leader while pier casting for salmon. I use 30lb PowerPro with 20lb Seguar leader. The reason I use the brai is to that I can get 200+ yards on my reel in case of a big run. My fluoro leaders are about 6 feet long in this scenario. What am I doing wrong and what should I change about my setup (considering the time to pier cast is coming up!).

I ran my own test snapping bucktails for walleye. Albright and uni were good if tied right and some times everything looked good and still failed.

The triple surgeons by far the easiest to tie. You can lubricant and watch it cinch down and no it's right.

That is one of the keys to knots if it doesn't tighten down smoothly it's sub standard.

I use triple surgeons knot, but I would never tie 30lb braid to 8lb fluoro. Even with the Albright knot, mismatching line diameters between braid and fluoro is not a good idea. It's highly likely that the knot is not the problem, your line selection is.

Edited by bdox

I'm interested in Garry saying fluro-leaders are 100% not necessary on reaction baits - here's why:

Many times a successful technique with these reaction baits is the pause and retrieve method (particularly with heavier spinners, spin-minnows, rapala countdowns). It's like you're putting finesse to a reaction bait, and I can't see how not having a leader here doesn't hinder you a little. The pause allows the line to be more visible, and often on the pause, or on the immediate retrieve after the pause, you get a strike.

I know Garry is a great angler, but that's just my two cents ;)

Slow down Billy-Bass...I never said Fluoro leaders are 100% not needed! I said When using crankbaits and spinnerbaits etc. you probably don't need the leader.

If you are doing a stop-and-go retrieve that is more of a jerkbait, twitch-bait type of presentation, where I said "On jerkbaits, worms and Flukes etc. the bait moves slowly or stands still so a low visibility leader could help.

Garry2R's