A question for people who fish with trolling motor.

Steelcat

As a non boater, I always rent a boat without trolling motor. So usually when I fish in a location close to shore, I dropped an anchor so that I won't drift onto the rocks.

Here's a question for everyone who has a trolling motor in your boat... When you see a boat anchored less than 2 boats length away from shore fishing towards the shore, will you troll pass the boat from the outside or troll in between the boat and the shore line (which has less than 2 boats length)?

I had this experience yesterday while fishing for some panfish. I saw a boat with 3 people fishing for bass trolling towards my rental boat. Since I was close to shore, I was thinking they would be trolling pass my boat from the outside. Instead, they continued forwards and turned into the space between me and the shore... I could just jump onto their boat with no problem... All three guys didn't look at me at all as if I wasn't there at all.

next time, try and get a large rock between you and the shore and enjoy the cursing when they hit it

when I troll, which is always, I go around the outside of the boats in the area, who knows, maybe the fish are deeper out farther, in any case a detour of thirty to fifty feet isn't going to cause you to miss too many fish

I would definitely say that what they did was not even close to being anything near proper protocol.

I agree that they should be courteous and not cut right past where someone is fishing, but where is it written what proper protocol is. And if it's not law anywhere why would we expect anyone to follow what someones idea of proper boat passing etiquette is. Just a thought. Oh and if you see me fishing please pass on the outside of me a good 50 yards. Thank you.

I agree that they should be courteous and not cut right past where someone is fishing, but where is it written what proper protocol is. And if it's not law anywhere why would we expect anyone to follow what someones idea of proper boat passing etiquette is. Just a thought. Oh and if you see me fishing please pass on the outside of me a good 50 yards. Thank you.

Things like that do not have to be written or at least they shouldn't. I guess it comes to the golden rule. Would you like it if someone did it (whatever it may be) to you? If the answer is no, do not do "it".

Unwritten laws, school yard rules, all these things are the essence of humanity. They are the things that are innate in us and give us a sense of what is right and wrong and a sense of justice.

These things are a pain in the neck but could never ever be classified as criminal.

It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen......

I always like to stay more than a casting distance from other boaters, preferably two casting lengths. So, unless you rented an exceptionaly long boat, I would have gone around the outside and stayed far enough away that you could have casted in my direction without hitting my boat.

nothing a quick blast of an airhorn won't cure, although one of them might fall in and wreck the fishing hole, you're well within your rights to do it, since you thought there was going to be a collision and you were just trying to warn them!

jjcanoe

I had a similar experience where I was about 50' off shore casting to a rock when 3 guys in a boat passed inside.

One actually asked how my fishing was going and I said "Thanks for asking, my day was going great until you just drove over my line"

I honestly don't think they even had a clue what they did and just motored along on their merry way.

As mentioned above, moron is a pretty good description.

Seems some people are just pure ignorant...im afraid we cant legislate for sheer stupidity.Hopefully one those clowns will read this post and realise that that its very easy to piss people of with bad behaviour..What they did goes against our ethics as fisherman...if your reading this and you were involved in the incident, think about if some one did the same to you...have respect for others.!!!

I was up on Moon River this past weekend and some jerkoff with his wife in a 150HP Triton or Ranger bulldozed by doing at least 40MPH 10ft from the doc, with 4 kids under 10 on it, in lifejackets!!! We flipped the bird and he waved back (thinking we were waving) then dropped his hand and gave us looks. He does this all the time apparently. A few weekends ago he was getting towed back (gas or prop problem I'm sure) and the whole family just laughed and waved. Next time we're taking pictures and calling the OPP.

Hopefully he's on here and will get a clue.

Edited by Rigged

we were out on rice on sunday, it wasnt done to me but i did see a couple sitting inbetween margerets island and the shore, and some moron went full throttle inbetween them . he nearly tipped their little tinny over. dan the owner of a resort nearby came out on to the dock and said a few things lol "its a 10km zone here youmoron, why you in such a hurry?" the guy just drove away like he was cool or somethin..

i've also had people troll between us and a shore while we were fishing it. i will follow them, wait for them to set up on a hole, and then return the favour.

To steal a joke from George Carlin

Think of how stupid the average person is. Now think that half the population is even stupider than that. :-)

smally. No one will ever get charged with that unless they downright prevent you from fishing with constant harrassment. Otherwise everyone who has crossed my lines trolling whether it be a ignorant jerk or just some poor shmuck who made a mistake would get hauled in on word against word accusations. You just have to chalk it up as a crappy occurance.

I for one hate people fishing near me, it just drives me nuts. I'm sure there are places and times that boats will need to be close but for the most part...it's usually a big lake go find your own spot. Whats even worse is those who seem to follow you around no matter where you go there is soon a crowd with you.

As for someone else anchored or even if your working a shore line and i pass by i stop fishing and go as wide as possible away from the other boat before cutting back in and continuing fishing...defiantly not inside a couple boat lengths away. Sounds like your friends need a special talk and or a lesson in etiquette ;):w00t: