OFN - I need your opinions!

LucG

My objective: to equip my 16' Lund with an electric trolling motor.

Transom Mount VS Bow Mount

I've putting a lot of though behind this and with the amount of bass fishing I do, I think I might as well install a bow mount. At first I did not think I had enough of a casting deck (see image below) but it should be sufficient. Besides, I think I might make the deck larger this winter.

Before even getting into the motor it self. I am going to need to modify the plate that its going to be mounted to. As well as get a different lighting system.

Here's a photo of my bow to help get idea of what I have to work with.

dsc03851k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now onto the motor. I've had my eye on the Minn Kota Power Drive V2. I think I'll need at least a 55 lbs thrust with a 48" shaft.

But my main questions were:

Should I go 12 or 24 volt?

Is 55 enough?

What type of battery is best?

Should I get an on board charger?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from others who have done this before. I am not very familiar with electric motors and unsure of the type I should get to best suite my boat and my needs.

Thanks

hey did my 14' tinny last year.with a 45lb. so a 55lb should do ya just fine..(though bigger may be better as its better to run ur motor at half power then full constant) as for the deck I would extend it and well it would be super easy to do in your boat as you dont need to work with the shape of the hull etc..(personal prefference tho) as for mounting the trolling motor what i did was i removed the front plate/ light then fitted a piece of plywood about 15 inches long and cut to shape and put it inline with the edge of the boat and screwed it in. then put the old plate back in its original place (had to cut out a grove in the ply wood to make it fit but now it is sturdier then ever. now there is plenty of space for my trolling motor.

as for the 12 vrs 24 volt / on board charger.. Im not much help

Edited by fish-meister

It all depends how much you want to spend. If it were me I would do the 12v 55lb thrust Minn Kota Terrova with Auto Pilot and optima blue top battery and a CTEK charger. This set up will set you back $1300 ish + tax. As for choosing between 12v or 24v I would consider: how long you fish for when your on the water, do you use a separate starting battery for your motor, or is it pull start, do you intend to use the trolling motor to troll or just to position yourself.

I use one battery for starting my motor, fishfinder, and I use the trolling motor for 4-5 hrs continuously to move slowly while pickerel fishing and I have yet to run out of battery. Thats with a interstate battery. I don't like the added weight of another battery and I find for how long I fish at a time, it is not necessary.

not trying to steal your thread but Im was also curious to see what people prefer (12v/24v.. cable driven or electric) as Im unfortunately in search of a new trolling motor / battery after some one stole mine..

I personally am on my trolling motor all day long bass fishing. and want something that is going to last me

A 55# 12 Volt motor is plenty for your application.

My original trolling motor that came on my 18 footer was under powered at 36# so I have a new 80# 24 Volt one that it is being replaced with. For many years I just hooked the battery up to a portable charger when I got home at the end of the day. This year I bought a 3 bank on board charger.

One of these days I will get time to install the new stuff and actually go out and use the boat. :rolleyes:

if you have room in your boat 24v (2 extra batteries) it is always the best

you could use a transom mount motor on the front with very little change

and you can very easily reverse the head so it works nicely up front

not trying to steal your thread but Im was also curious to see what people prefer (12v/24v.. cable driven or electric) as Im unfortunately in search of a new trolling motor / battery after some one stole mine..

I personally am on my trolling motor all day long bass fishing. and want something that is going to last me

If you're on it all day a 24 Volt system will be better for you as the battery charge will last double.

OHM's law states that when you double the voltage you use 1/2 the amperage (power).

The cable steered motors are faster reacting than the motor driven ones but the motor driven ones can also come equipped with auto pilot giving you more time to concentrate on fishing and less on motor control.

You can also get them with wireless remotes. ;)

It all depends how much you want to spend. If it were me I would do the 12v 55lb thrust Minn Kota Terrova with Auto Pilot and optima blue top battery and a CTEK charger. This set up will set you back $1300 ish + tax. As for choosing between 12v or 24v I would consider: how long you fish for when your on the water, do you use a separate starting battery for your motor, or is it pull start, do you intend to use the trolling motor to troll or just to position yourself.

I use one battery for starting my motor, fishfinder, and I use the trolling motor for 4-5 hrs continuously to move slowly while pickerel fishing and I have yet to run out of battery. Thats with a interstate battery. I don't like the added weight of another battery and I find for how long I fish at a time, it is not necessary.

As you do, I would only be using it to position myself. I wouldn't actually troll with it. I have a 30HP Honda Tiller with electric start. I plan on keeping one batt for starting and for my fishfnder, and the other for my electric motor.

A terrova 55# would be perfect. given your limited casting deck space if you get the co-pilot remote control you could operate the motor from anywhere in the boat....the autopilot is also great to have as it means less time readjusting course and more time fishing.

if you have the cash go all out..get the new i-pilot! i wish i could afford it1

For a 16 foot I'd say a 45 lb thrust bow mount, 12V is enough power for you. Get a decent battery like an Interstae and you won't have any complaints. On board charger also isn't required, get a nice Nautilus charger from CT and you are good to go, just charge before you hit the water. Thats all I have for my boat and it suits me just fine.

Dirk

As you do, I would only be using it to position myself. I wouldn't actually troll with it. I have a 30HP Honda Tiller with electric start. I plan on keeping one batt for starting and for my fishfnder, and the other for my electric motor.

Based on my experiences, I would change one thing about what you just said: Wire the fishfinder so it is on the same battery as the trolling motor. Not sure if something is wrong with my set up but sometimes when I go to start the motor it shuts off the fish finder. This can eventually blow the fuse on the fish finder. Its just a hassle more than anything to have to replace the fuse. Just a precautionary measure.

As for your trolling motor mounting, wait for me to get home, I will show you a pic how Princecraft made it out of the factory.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

If you're on it all day a 24 Volt system will be better for you as the battery charge will last double.

OHM's law states that when you double the voltage you use 1/2 the amperage (power).

The cable steered motors are faster reacting than the motor driven ones but the motor driven ones can also come equipped with auto pilot giving you more time to concentrate on fishing and less on motor control.

You can also get them with wireless remotes. ;)

in the past two years I used the minn Kota 45lb Powerdrive and well I liked it. but hardly used the auto pilot. so i was thinking of getting the Edge or Maxxum with cabledrive. and I guess I'd run the 2 batteries as in the past I would have two batteries in the boat for a full day of fishin. tho with the 24volt system how would I hook up my 12v fish finder? just hook it to one? or what? as well as a bilge pump ?

Keep this in mind.......

Trolling motors are one of the best inventions for today’s angler. But, if you have your motor cranked up to 100% you are definitely turning the odds in the fish’s favor. Electric trolling motors were designed to run on a slow but constant speed. Not a bone jarring, on-and-off approach. I very rarely run my Minn Kota Maxum at over 30%. Slow your motor down and you will speed up your success....Dave Mercer

Keep this in mind.......

Trolling motors are one of the best inventions for today’s angler. But, if you have your motor cranked up to 100% you are definitely turning the odds in the fish’s favor. Electric trolling motors were designed to run on a slow but constant speed. Not a bone jarring, on-and-off approach. I very rarely run my Minn Kota Maxum at over 30%. Slow your motor down and you will speed up your success....Dave Mercer

well said, but I have seen a guy on Nipissing fishing pickerel with a trolling motor that had too short of a shaft and the propeller would splash on the surface of the water and he would still catch more then me :wallbash:.

in the past two years I used the minn Kota 45lb Powerdrive and well I liked it. but hardly used the auto pilot. so i was thinking of getting the Edge or Maxxum with cabledrive. and I guess I'd run the 2 batteries as in the past I would have two batteries in the boat for a full day of fishin. tho with the 24volt system how would I hook up my 12v fish finder? just hook it to one? or what? as well as a bilge pump ?

The best way to run the rest of your accessories is from the main battery.

Run the trolling motor off the deep cycles and the rest off the main battery.

This is how my boat is set up.

If you really want to run them off the trolling battery set up just run the power and ground wires to one of the batteries.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I tried to run the fish finder off the trolling motor battery but there was so much interference from the troller the the finder wouldn't work right if the motor was on and I tried a bunch of electric dodads but they didn't work.Now I run off the starting motor battery.

vance

Edited by vance

I tried to run the fish finder off the trolling motor battery but there was so much interference from the troller the the finder wouldn't work right if the motor was on and I tried a bunch electric dodads but they didn't work.Now I run off the starting motor battery.

vance

hm i would do that but I dont have a starting battery as my motor is a pull start.

I'd recommend a Terrova 80# with Ipilot.

I wouldn't trade my Terrova for anything!

My parents have a 55# powerdrive V2 on a 14ft Lund and I find it kind of weak. I like a motor that can handle big wind and even hobble me home if need be.

If you have the room I wouldn't think twice about running 24v.

well said, but I have seen a guy on Nipissing fishing pickerel with a trolling motor that had too short of a shaft and the propeller would splash on the surface of the water and he would still catch more then me :wallbash:.

That's because the water levels are low on Nipissing.

You won't regret too much power! If you can afford it go 24v and 65-80# thrust.

I have a 16 foot Lund, windshield,90 4stroke...I have a 12v-55# Minn Kota Power drive w/ 48" shaft, Its adequate but in waves of any height the shaft isn't long enough, and its under powered in any amount of wind or current.

You won't regret too much power! If you can afford it go 24v and 65-80# thrust.

I have a 16 foot Lund, windshield,90 4stroke...I have a 12v-55# Minn Kota Power drive w/ 48" shaft, Its adequate but in waves of any height the shaft isn't long enough, and its under powered in any amount of wind or current.

Thanks for all the advice. Its a tough decision, but sometimes your budget limits you. I've been looking on kijiji and local ads for a used one, but haven't had much luck. If anyone knows about one in the North Bay area, PM me.