Mom and 233" of muskies

Fisherpete

As some of you know, my mother in law Charlene has been battling cancer for the past ten months. Despite intense radiation and treatment, the cancer spread rapidly, and she declined just as quickly. It was extremely difficult to watch such a strong, vibrant woman succumb to this terrible disease. Last weekend, we had to rush her to the hospital, and the doctors told us to brace for the worst - she would likely pass within 24-48 hours. She passed that mark, and as the week went on, she baffled the doctors and actually stabilized. On Sunday, they moved her from the critical ward to more of a long-term palliative care floor. What long-term means is anyone's guess - it could be days or weeks, but she is not ready to give up the fight just yet. We all love you mom, your pain will soon be gone, and you will be in a better place.

To all the OFC members who have sent us kind words, thank you. Please say another little prayer for her tonight.

With things a bit more settled, my wife ordered me to hit the water on Monday afternoon to relieve a bit of the stress from the last week and a half. Reluctantly (heh), I accepted, and headed to the lake for an afternoon fish with good friend Albert. A Stowmaster net is now a part of my musky gear arsenal, and we were determined to get it slimed on this day. We made good time, and got on the water a little after 2pm. Perfect mix of sun and cloud, nice little chop on the water... looked promising.

Our plan was to fish some docks for bass first, and then go for muskie, but as soon as we launched the boat, there was a problem... the deep cycle battery was dead. Totally dead. No trolling motor, no electronics... not good. We headed for a group of nearby docks, and pulled a few rock bass and a largie off of them, but the wind and waves made it virtually impossible to stay in place without the trolling motor. We soon gave up on that, and moved on to muskies, which were also going to be a challenge without electronics. Although I know many general areas on this lake to fish by visual cues and landmarks, it is tough if not impossible to find that 'spot on a spot' without the sonar. I noticed that Al's Merc 30 had a pull cord, so I pirated the starting battery, and hooked it up to his main sonar unit. Success! We have a graph! His motor was actually not that bad to start with the pull cord as we found out throughout the afternoon.

We soon found out that the muskies were not in a mood to nibble - they were feeding hard. Every hit was a violent explosion on the end of our lines. The final results : 6/6, with outstanding average size (33,35,40,41,41,43). All of them were thick, healthy fish. 5 of the 6 hit on my line, but Al brought in one of them (a 41"). When my rod went off on that one, Al sprang up and grabbed it like a bolt of lightening! I am a righty... he is lefty... didn't matter. He suddenly became ambidextrous! I think he might have thrown me in if I had asked for my rod back at that point!!! Al got big fish of the day, and a new PB for him @ 43". Throw in an incidental LM bass and walleye also on my line, and we had a very productive afternoon. I don't know what it is with the walleye on this lake - this marks five consecutive trips that I have caught them on big muskie lures. Overachievers I guess! The new net performed very well... but I have to say it takes some getting used to! When a 40"+ fish has room to run and hide from you, it is one big net... I also am VERY glad for having worn my Lindy fish glove today... while unhooking Al's 43", which was hooked very well, she thrashed and clipped my palm with her big teeth... I would have been ripped wide open if not for that kevlar palm. You could hear the "scrrrrrttttchhhh" as the teeth whipped across the material... yikes! Best $25 investment ever... Anyways, here are the pics... enjoy.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

pete wow! looks like you got optimus prime i mean the net working great lol! thats a fantastic day out on the water and a great report!

your mother in law will be in my prayers.

and also you got an amazing wife to be tossing you out of the house and on to the water lol. she got any sisters? :clapping:

Really sorry to hear your mom is going through this. My thoughts are with you and your family. Keep your chin up and make her last little while a happy time so the memories are good ones.

As for the musky, nice fish bud, those are some awesome gals. Way to go.

Joey

hey Pete, Albert here.....

I liked that. lets do it again......

I did not rip the rod out of your hand it was my turn on the community Musky Rods.... next trip the first ones Mine on the secret bait...

LOL "Ambidextrous" Al... I never said you ripped the rod out of my hands... BUT YOU WOULD HAVE!!! Muskie envy is a terrible thing!!! I have no idea why they kept hitting mine (we were using identical lures), only explanation is the muskie dance. You may have kept your dignity by refusing to do it, but see - I fished your butt off. :asshat:

Edited by Fisherpete

Great pics...awesome fish.

Your mother-in-law is preparing.....I cant imagine how difficult that must be for her.

When my girlfriends mother was battling cancer (terminal) my girlfriend had many special moments with her Mom waiting those 9 months out in the hospital(originally given 4 weeks to live) and this one day my friend silently was crying while sitting beside her Moms bed. Moms do not miss much and asked her daughter why she was upset. My friend said...because it hurts so bad to say good-bye. Her Mom responded by telling my friend to think how she felt, she had everyone to say good bye to, not just one person.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Hey Pete, looks like you had a great day! Congrat's on the 6 for 6. That is an amazing day for any Muskie guy or gal!

We have gone experienced what your family is going through 3 times, both my Mom and Dad and my Mom in law...I know very well where you mind is at. She sounds like an amazing woman. All the best to you and your family.

J..

sorry to hear about your mother pete, i wish you all the best of luck with that matter.

i was also out on monday and noticed they were hitting hard, , every fish just inhaled the bait.

awesome pictures man

Edited by Lunkerhunter

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report! The Musky have certainly been active! I wonder if your secret lure is similar to my secret lure?lol

Since Sunday we have had perfect fishing weather! Overcast!

Oh and nice glove! :thumbsup_anim: (TWO THUMBS UP.LOL)

Its sucks about your MIL. There isn't too many families that have not been affected by cancer, directly or indirectly....Its a horrible desease.......

Charlene sounds like she is going to it her way and no one is going to change that, she seems to be quite the lady. Sorry to hear of the news and the tough times ahead for the family, never easy. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Congrats on the great day of fishing!thumbsup_anim.gif