Fly-In Help

rylan

Hello everyone,

Well I am finally going on my first fly-in trip, north of Cochrane. I was wondering if there is any seasoned veterans at Fly-ins, and wondering if there is a list of supplies, or gear you refer to before packing? I will be heading out the last week in Aug, and will be targeting mostly pike, but the walleye are a great catch as well.

So could anyone help me with suggestions of DO's and Donts

Maybe you can give examples of gear you wished you thought of bringing?

Any and ALL help is appreciated

thank you.

The outfitter should have a list of things you need to bring.....REMEMBER you will be limited by weight and will pay a premium per pound over that limit.

One tip we have used is use five gallon buckets as tackle boxes with covers. Your stuff will be STUFFED and BANGED around by the person loading and unloading your gear.

Using 5 gallon buckets has many advantages. First they LIGHT and damage proof, second they can handle a lot of gear and finally they are completely water proof when it rains or if the rental boats leak.

Using smaller trays to sort out lure and then storing them in the buckets have worked VERY well for us....also take along a roll of duct tape in one of your buckets. You never know if you may need it for something and I use it to seal the tops on the buckets so there is no way they can open up in transit. You can also mark your name on the tape to identify your bucket of stuff. 2 or 3 buckets is more than enough space for any fly-in trip.

Good Luck,

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

Unless the outfitters are complete goons, your normal tackle boxes will be just fine. I would suggest rod tubes for the rods and pack your reels in your clothes bag. Duct tape for sure, can turn a really leaky boat into a not so leaky boat.

thanxs Bill- and Bill

What do you recommend for food to bring.. I was thinking a case of Mr. Noddles, and other pasta--- any tips?

Hi, just got back on Sunday from my first fly in and as far as food goes, we brought up with us, me almost

50 and my 15 year old son who eats anything that is not nail down, 3 packs of bacon about 10 slices each,

2 packs of sausage 6 per pack and 2 packs of steaks 6 per pack.We also had a bag of potatoes.

We also brought up a foot long salami, a chunk of ptarmigan cheese and 3 loafs of bread and 36 eggs and a

bottle of Nutela.

That held us over and we did eat a lot of fish.

FLEX

thanxs Bill- and Bill

What do you recommend for food to bring.. I was thinking a case of Mr. Noddles, and other pasta--- any tips?

Well you aren't portaging so weight shouldn't be a huge issue. Does the camp have a kitchen? Fridge? Stove? BBQ? I ate steak and porkchops along with some chicken for an entire week, it was awesome :)

Also, beer...lots of beer!!

Edited by BillM

Thanxs a lot guys- this does help--

spiel-- yes I got a nice kit..ty

flex rod-- cool

we have a limit of 100lbs, the cabin has a 3 ring burner, and a BBQ- thats it. Oh and a full size fridge. I want to bring lobster and steak- BUT the guys want to bring hamburgers and hot dogs--BOO BOO

T.J. reminded me of my camping list I have used........however, it's not what we used for fly-ins but it might jingle your memory of something you forgot.

Bob

Check CAMPING LIST

Radio Bread Crumbs

Grill Oil

Stove Pop

Propane Beer

Lantern Paper Plates

Sleeping Bag Paper Towels

Pillows Napkins

Thermos Pots

Water Cast Iron Pan

Alarm Clock Utensils

Rain Tent Tarter Sauce

Rain Gear Hot Dogs

Boots Hamburgers

Jackets Rolls

Worms Onions

Leaches Potatoes

Minnows Beans

Bug Spray Coffee

AX Coffee Creamer

Batteries Plastic Bags

Camera Dish Soap

Life Jackets Towels

X-Cooler Clothes Line

Ice Marshmellows

Duffle Bag Ketchup

Battery Charger Mustard

Shampoo Salt

Matches Pepper

Edited by Billy Bob

T.J. reminded me of my camping list I have used........however, it's not what we used for fly-ins but it might jingle your memory of something you forgot.

Bob

Check CAMPING LIST

Radio Bread Crumbs

Grill Oil

Stove Pop

Propane Beer

Lantern Paper Plates

Sleeping Bag Paper Towels

Pillows Napkins

Thermos Pots

Water Cast Iron Pan

Alarm Clock Utensils

Rain Tent Tarter Sauce

Rain Gear Hot Dogs

Boots Hamburgers

Jackets Rolls

Worms Onions

Leaches Potatoes

Minnows Beans

Bug Spray Coffee

AX Coffee Creamer

Batteries Plastic Bags

Camera Dish Soap

Life Jackets Towels

X-Cooler Clothes Line

Ice Marshmellows

Duffle Bag Ketchup

Battery Charger Mustard

Shampoo Salt

Matches Pepper

I'm pretty sure I have none of those things BB, nor have I ever heard of them. ;)

WOW-- all I can say: I love this site--

great people and excellent help-

Thanxs a bunch everyone- this does help out ALOT

I guess the only thing left is to get up there and start fishing--

Trust me there is going to be lots of beer.

we use a water filtration pump, so we can drink lake water without boiling it, we used to bring alot of tackle but found we didn't use most of it, we use mainly jigs and plastic twisters, rapalas and wally divers, and a few spoons for the pike

- 2 way radios are handy

- we only bring rubber boots and a pair of flip flops each

have a blast, let us know how you do

flew with air cochrane last summer to lake mikwam. My biggest piece of advice is a satelite phone. They have them there, but you have to reserve them. We did not have one when went and let me tell you we wish we had one, our plane wasnt able to get in for two days past our pick up date. it was great to get some extra days fishing but when you run out of booze, smokes, food, and fresh water things can get a little dicey. the food was no prob we just ate fish, but if your thinking that they are going to pick you up at anytime you have to be ready for them, that means boats out of the water, cabin cleaned and bags packed so you arent exactly out fishing for fear that they will fly in and your supposed to be ready to go. the other thing i would say is that you cant really go for a walk. The brush and trees are so thick that its virtually impossible your walk will be from the cabin to the boat. The cabins are pretty rustic. bring a bug jacket, some 100 % deet from a surplus store and some earplugs because i will promise you there will be mosqutios in your cabin and when there buzzing around your head all night its tough to get a decent nights sleep the ear plugs saved my trip compared to my buddies. you dont need to worry about really packing things up the pilots and guys who pack the plane are pretty gentle and you watch them (or help them)while they pack it so. Just bring some cards or something to keep you entertained at night!

Thanxs a lot guys- this does help--

spiel-- yes I got a nice kit..ty

flex rod-- cool

we have a limit of 100lbs, the cabin has a 3 ring burner, and a BBQ- thats it. Oh and a full size fridge. I want to bring lobster and steak- BUT the guys want to bring hamburgers and hot dogs--BOO BOO

I would be very leary of an old propane fridge. CO is no joke and often not thought about. If it's an old Serval fridge they have been mandated out of use. Make sure you sleep with as many windows open as possible at night for fresh air. About 2 years ago there was 4 or 5 people died from CO on a fishing trip.

Drink booze, beer too heavy.

Edited by nofish4me

I always pack some extra rope. Good for extra cloths lines inside and out to dry cloths. Throw in some cloths pegs too. Your rope can double duty as anchor rope if the rope they have in there boats is a little short for some spots you might want to anchor to fish.

I also pack spare fishing net netting. Some anchors these bush camps have...if they even have anchors...won't hold a boat. Fill your spare netting with rocks..tie a rope to it...and you have an anchor. saved a few trips for me in the past.

Enjoys your trip.