On Star ? N/F

Nanook

Just got my wife HER first new car, and it comes with 12mths of ON Star.The demo with the Dealer was very impressive, ie Hands free phone, vehicle diagnostics :blahblah1::blahblah1:

Anyone have this and are using the system?

What is your experience or opinion??

I used mine very sparingly for the "free" period (which doesn't include what you think it does). Don't give them your credit card number so they can keep it "on file" as they say, because they will automatically bill you when your free period is up, and it is an outrageous price. I got an email stating they were automatically billing me and I called them immediately and cancelled. They tried to sell me a cheaper package at that point, which was still too much, over $45 a month.

I thought I had turn by turn directions and the first time I went to use it they said that it was only a trial period (not 12 months like they had hinted) and that it would cost me to sign up for that. The phone was free for 3 months, but then I had to pay for minutes, and I found out that if you don't use them within a certain time period, they don't roll over. I never needed the emergency call button so that never came into play, so I don't know how long that was actually for.

Call them up and find out exactly what you get "free."

Joey

What Joey said. It's a great feature but the price is way too high for the chance you'll have an accident on a lonely road, have your car stolen or lock yourself out of your car. They give you a trial period to get you hooked. The telephone is cool but is just a prepaid phone in fact. I didn't even bother registering the last couple of cars we bought.

JF

I was pretty impressed with On Star until my "free 12 months" expired. I spend a lot of time in the car and found the handfree, voice activated dialing great. If you have Bell Mobility it can (could) be directly linked so that you use your Bell service to place hands free voice activated calls from the car. With the popularity of GPS some of the "services" are now redundant. Stupidly ran out of gas (in the driveway) and had a " free delivery" within 20 minutes. Never had the call to use any of the other emergency services. I would guess that typical roadside assistance offered free with pretty much every new car today obsoletes many of the On Star features.

HOWEVER, at the "normal" monthly rates, I would never pay full price. On Star, plus my handsfree option linked to my company Bell contract was going to be around $85 after taxes (2 1/2 years ago)............waaaaaaaaaaaay over the odds.

Just got my wife HER first new car, and it comes with 12mths of ON Star.The demo with the Dealer was very impressive, ie Hands free phone, vehicle diagnostics blahblah1.gifblahblah1.gif

Anyone have this and are using the system?

What is your experience or opinion??

Hey Jack...I don't know nuttin' 'bout no On-Star but congrats to Jackie on her new car...

What vehicle did you get her ?...

How are you feeling ?

I have CAA, it's saved me numerous times and I wouldn't pay more for On Star. It's pros vs cons really, but they've been great hands down. Even a breakdown at a back lake in Temagami, I was able to get reception on my phone and CAA sent a tow truck in and he somehow found us and got us out.

On top of that, the driver dropped us off at a motel for the night. Not to get off topic but northern folks are so much nicer!

Well folks, that just about confirms my thoughts on'Onstar.

After the 12mth trial the cost for Basic is $26 per mth + $50 for 'hands free' [100 mins]per mth=$76

And thats todays prices, so in 12mths who knows????

Probably I'll pay the $20 for 100 extra mins during the 'trial period, then dump it.

We are trying to cut cost down.

Thank you all for your input, makes ME :whistling: feel good I made the right decision. :whistling:

P.s, The car comes with 5yrs Roadside assistance