Marine VHF Radio

alexmedic

I recently purchased a 16' Dual Console Aluminium and am now in the market for a VHF radio.

The more I look, the more I cannot make up my mind...

So I thought I would ask the group... What do you recommend???

I think a portable would be more suitable, but am not impartial to a mount style if it's worth my while...

Also, I would like to keep the price to $200 or less.

Thanks for reading!!!

Well I can tell you portables are just good enough to listen to the local marine weather forecast and to other boaters within a couple km's. I sold mine and got the permanent mount, much better reception and some decent power when your butts in the sling and you need help. I even had the portable hooked up to the big antenna and hooked into the boats 12V system, no difference. For pretty much the same price, get the permanent one and like Terry said, Don't cheap out on the antenna. I've got an 8' fiberglass on a stainless lay down mount in my 16' boat, mounted at the back corner, on the average day, I can easily go 12 miles, 20km. The radio mentioned above and most all newer ones have to pass the basic testing before they are certified for use. If you have GPS in the boat, get a model radio with DSC that you can interface your GPS, when in trouble hit one button and your location is automatically sent to CGC. Another store is Durham Radio in Whitby.

I have a Uniden MC535 for sale if you are interested - it is a fixed mount. You will need to buy an antennae separately as the one I have is damaged. Send me a PM, will let it go for a reasonable price and I drive through Barrie on a regular basis/can leave it with someone in Barrie for you to pick up.

I put an Icom Marine radio on my boat and it is a fine radio.

I couple it with a base loaded stainless antenna and get fairly good range but an 8 footer would double my range. They just don't look right on my style of boat.

Here is a link to the radio. It will even connect to your GPS to provide your location in an emergency.

Icom M304 Radio

It is nice and small and flush mounts nicely in dash.

front.jpg

new.jpg

Great advice!

Are antennas and brackets expensive?

The stainless ratchet mount goes for $39 and antennas start around $50 at BPro.

I had the nylon ratchet mount, way too flexible for an 8" antenna.

Edited by Fisherman

I have a portable and a fix mount ...fix mount 25 watts power ...portable 4 or 5 watts....sux batteries like no tomorrow ( 6 batteries day)...more if you want to transmit over it for any length of time ..

Fix mount is the way to go IMO

Hey Dave, your tach says you're doing 1100 RPM sitting on the table.

That's not an ordinary table.

It's one of the new V4 powered kitchen tables and it was idling at the time the photo was shot. :whistling:

It idles fairly high due to the agressive cam I installed. :tease::tease::tease: