My veg garden

kickingfrog

This our first year for a vegitble garden. Wanted small and simple 10ft by 4 ft. We'll see how this year goes and then see deside wether or not to expand next year.

Tomatoes:Better boy, early girl and cherry

Zucchini

Green beens

Pepers: green, yellow and red

Cucumber

My wife had some beens today and we'll have two of the zucinnies tomorrow. The zucchini plant is the one taking over the garden on the left.

IMGP6041.jpg

IMGP6042.jpg

Zucchini

IMGP6046.jpg

I think garlic is going to go in next year for sure, and maybe some carrots.

Rob, get rid of the zuchs! They'll uproot your fence then eat your house if you leave it unguarded for a long weekend.

Do as Roy sez...or you will find yourself sneaking around the neighborhood late at night leaving zucchini on every doorstep...wallbash.gif

With a small garden, skip roots like taters and carrots.Take up a lot of space and require more care with weeding. Besides they are dirt cheap. Use the space for fresh herbs, spring peas. Once kids get bigger, they get a kick out of growing their own pumpkins.

With a small garden, skip roots like taters and carrots.Take up a lot of space and require more care with weeding. Besides they are dirt cheap. Use the space for fresh herbs, spring peas. Once kids get bigger, they get a kick out of growing their own pumpkins.

That's exactly why we didn't plant any this year, same with beets. If we expand it though, I would like some carrots. Herbs for sure next year.

Rob keep in mind if you want to do the garlic for next year they go in the ground this fall..I like to plant mine mid september. Good luck and love your garden!! Doesnt hurt to cover the area that the garlic is with straw for the winter months. In the spring leave the straw on the ground. it makes a great mulch and is awesome to keep the weeds down!

Guest Johnny Bass

Its a start! You should be proud of yourself. As you grow older you start to appreciate the fruits(or vegetables) of your labours more....

Keep chives in a clay pot and don't let them go to seed. They can get invasive if you put them in the ground and let them self sow.

Never had to do that Dave.Proper maintenance helps.They also regrew every year. The clay pot is a good idea though.

Nice garden Rob :thumbsup_anim: For your first I say great job bud.... I remember mine a couple of decades ago, was 20' x 30'.... I had planted all kinds of different seeds and plants.... had some success in 80% of what I had planted, this was my first learning curve.

As the years went by, I soon realize what grew well and what not... so all this to say that I basically stuck to tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, carrots, garlic and peppers :)

A good soil mix is key to being successful, that is why, every year, I add pre mix garden soil, sheep manure and peat moss to all of my little raised beds. Bone meal is a must when planting.

Again great job and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Do as Roy sez...or you will find yourself sneaking around the neighborhood late at night leaving zucchini on every doorstep...wallbash.gif

No Joke. My grandparents used to try to offload zucchs on my parents pretty much every summer sunday when I was a kid. Still think they are gross!