My puppy's first time swimming NF

If you take a look at my avatar pic that is my girl Molson. Sadly we had to let her go a few weeks ago as her back end gave out. She was 11 years old and the greatest dog I have ever had.

We do have an 8 month old puppy that Molson passed on a few things to before she left us. This is a video of today down at bronte of our 8 month old 85lb Bronze newfoundland. Her first time swimming. she was pretty nervous in the water and did not want to be more then a few feet from me at all times haha. She did very well for her first time and I am sure at the very least she got cooled off! I plan on a fishing trip next month for a couple days and I think I am going to bring her with me and see how she likes that and how she likes swimming up north!

Here is the video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEMSVRTyxk

Her Dad was 185lbs and her mom was 140lbs. However compared to some of her litter mates she is smaller. Her one brother is 110pounds already.

I think she will max out at about 130 if we can control her weight well enough. She is slim now and I plan on keeping her that way for obvious health reasons. She is one powerful dog though! we have a neighbour who has a 120lb sheppard and she is twice as strong already then he is. Super friendly dog though, not a mean bone in her body!

Cheers!

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

It's soooo cool to have a dog that likes to swim with you. I have collies, they usually don't like water as they get very weighed down by their thick coats. But...'Newt' LOVES the water. I take him to the beach almost every day to swim. You might regret the love of water tho as when clean water isn't available any mud puddle will do! LOL!!

Nice looking pup, quick and sincere word of advice............... They suffer quite quickly from heat stroke particularly in an environment like a boat, make sure you keep her hydrated, out of the sun and in the water, (even just walking up to her ribcage.

Edited by John

Nice looking pup, quick and sincere word of advice............... They suffer quite quickly from heat stroke particularly in an environment like a boat, make sure you keep her hydrated, out of the sun and in the water, (even just walking up to her ribcage.

Thanks for the advice John, We always have a big rubber maid bucket of clean water for her as well as a kids pool she jumps into once in a while. She pretty well lives under our deck in the mud in this weather. We have tried to get her to go inside and sit on the ac vents or basement floor but she never lasts to long in the house before she is at the door wanting outside haha.

I only walk her early morning or late at night as well. I read a ton about the breed and talked to many breeders so I am well aware of the issue the breeds have and heat is one of them. Thanks for the heads up though it is much apprieciated!

Cheers!