Trolling Motor Problem

Peps

Hello everyone,

having problems with my trolling motor..... it keeps cutting out,not getting constant power. All the wires are clean and free of corrosion, battery is brand new.

Need a little help please

Peps

Hello everyone,

having problems with my trolling motor..... it keeps cutting out,not getting constant power. All the wires are clean and free of corrosion, battery is brand new.

Need a little help please

Peps

Peps,

We could sure use a little more detail such as make and model number......but outside of that, it is a DC motor with brushes. Depending on how much usage you have on it, it may require new brushes on the motor. You could go to an Authorized repair shop for your brand, or any alternator/ generator shop should be able to help.

Good luck!

Edited by Rattletrap2

If your motor is an older MinnKota PowerDrive the problem is probably in the circuit board under the foot control. Their famous for not working and have been a source of problems for year.

As Lew allready stated I would first check the pedal board. Possibly swap with someone if you have access.

I have gone threw 2 of the boards in the past 10 years. Fixed it once just due to mud and grime got in there so worth taking apart. Dont remember exactly but replacement was roughly 80-90.

Let us know how you make out.

where can i get replacement parts for it? I live in Aurora. going to take the pedal apart and check it out, will keep you guys posted

Rocky's in Orillia or Aikman's in Mississauga

Hi Peps,

For you and anybody who needs it, here is a link to download a Minn Kota manual I found a while ago:

Minn Kota Repair Manual

Although my pedal never failed, I installed one of these Minn Kota Co-Pilot systems and it works like a charm. You control the motor with a FOB (like a keyless remote) that clips right on to your fishing rod. They're pricey but worth it in my opinion as well as easy to install. I think I got mine cheaper on Ebay. The unit just "piggy backs" onto your existing motor.

Minn Kota Co-Pilot

They're about $169.00 at BPS in Vaughn Mills and they are in stock. Make sure you buy the one with the correct plug to fit your motor.

Cheers,

Peter

It sounds like your pedal. It takes way too much time to do all the diagnostic checks listed in that manual. Save yourself the hastle and go buy another pedal, try it, and return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

where can i get replacement parts for it? I live in Aurora. going to take the pedal apart and check it out, will keep you guys posted

Hi peps: just go to LeBarons or to Aikmans in Mississauga and pick up a new foot pedal as Lew said they have a history of burning out contacts on the power drive units, 70 to 85 bucks will get you back in business, to repair the old one will cost just about as much money and not to mention the down time

Hope everyone had a great long weekend!!!!

So I went out and bought a new pedal to test my problem, got home hooked it up and........it didn't work :angry: this time I wasn't even getting power to the motor :dunno:

Anymore insight?

Thanks,

Peps

Bump

Can you explain "not even getting power to the motor" a bit? Did you put a volt meter on the leads to the motor? or is it that nothing happens when you step on the pedal?

Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker between the battery and motor?

If you have 12 volts (actually 12.6 volts or better) to the plug for the motor, then we are back to the motor/ pedal. Since you tried a new pedal, that leaves the motor itself. I would look into the brushes as I suggested at the beginning. The armature in these used to be glued in the outer casing. If the motor was dropped or bumped hard enough, there could be a crack or break in that also. I have not looked at a recent model such as your 2006 one, so not sure if that is still the case.

All troubleshooting is a process of elimination. If you don't feel comfortable with this yourself, then either Aikman or Rockey's are both good shops and they will take care of it.

Usually, when a foot pedal fails, it is the micro switches for steering that go first. They get intermittent for a while and the motor will only steer one direction for a bit, then just fail. You don't often get a total shut down all at once. There is a potentiometer for speed control on the foot pedal board that would shut everything down as far as motor operation, but you changed the pedal already.

Edited by Rattletrap2

Can you explain "not even getting power to the motor" a bit? Did you put a volt meter on the leads to the motor? or is it that nothing happens when you step on the pedal?

Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker between the battery and motor?

If you have 12 volts (actually 12.6 volts or better) to the plug for the motor, then we are back to the motor/ pedal. Since you tried a new pedal, that leaves the motor itself. I would look into the brushes as I suggested at the beginning. The armature in these used to be glued in the outer casing. If the motor was dropped or bumped hard enough, there could be a crack or break in that also. I have not looked at a recent model such as your 2006 one, so not sure if that is still the case.

All troubleshooting is a process of elimination. If you don't feel comfortable with this yourself, then either Aikman or Rockey's are both good shops and they will take care of it.

Usually, when a foot pedal fails, it is the micro switches for steering that go first. They get intermittent for a while and the motor will only steer one direction for a bit, then just fail. You don't often get a total shut down all at once. There is a potentiometer for speed control on the foot pedal board that would shut everything down as far as motor operation, but you changed the pedal already.

Solid advice Brian, thanks for taking the time. thumbsup_anim.gif

Only thing I would add is "cable steer." whistling.gif

Thanks so much!!!! Brian,

i didn't put a volt meter to the leads (will try that when I get home tonight) when i say no power i mean it's dead not even the battery meter on the unit works.

If there is an inline fuse where would I find it? near the power plug at the bow of the boat or near the battery?

Thanks,

Peps

bump....again, sorry guys. but I would like to try and fix this on my own, don't really feel like taking the unit off to bring it to get repaired, unless i really have to.

Peps

Thanks so much!!!! Brian,

If there is an inline fuse where would I find it? near the power plug at the bow of the boat or near the battery?

Thanks,

Peps

I would also make sure the cables on that power plug are nice and tight, my bud had an issue 3 weeks ago with the motor failing on us twice(once after resetting the breaker it worked, 2nd time not). All it was, was a loose ground wire on said power socket on the boat. Disconnect the battery first to check the wires first though. Hope its as simple as that.

bump....again, sorry guys. but I would like to try and fix this on my own, don't really feel like taking the unit off to bring it to get repaired, unless i really have to.

Peps

Peps,

Does the motor plug into a socket at the front of the boat? This would be the first place to test for voltage. You need at least 12.6 volts. The fuse or breaker could be anywhere in the wiring between the battery and the motor. Usually, it is at the battery in the case of a breaker. These are usually "automatic reset". If the breaker is faulty, it could be "opening" the circuit prematurely...and then resetting itself. I'm assuming that all has been well since 2006 until just recently? This would eliminate it being under rated in amps.

If the motor is hard wired directly to the boat, we need to look at this arrangement

If you could take a couple of pictures and post them of the motor and how it is connected to the boat, we could help you with more ideas. A picture really is worth a 1000 words! Sounds like you have a meter and are determined to figure this out for yourself. Good stuff!

PM sent also!

Didn't read a good description of your problem. When you get this last problem fix (change foot petal back). Start your motor on about 50%, now slowly reduce power, if motor stops turning at 15 or 20%, now move power up to 100%, if motor fails to turn, get a long stick and push prop forward (DO NOT USE FINGERS), If prop takes off.

Your brushes need adjusting or replacing.