first time taking dogs up north

bulltron

Hey everyone, looking for some tips/advice ... I'll be taking my 2 Bullmastiff's up north with me in a couple weeks(Lake Nepewassi) ... This will be there first time really in the bush, we've been doing some trails on the out skirts of london to get trained in cutting my trails, which there fantastic at(being a combined 250lbs-thats quite the path they cut.. lol.) ... They have never been near a boat before, nor that far from civilization .. I dont think they'll wander, they are very well trained dogs ...

Any advice on how to make there trip any nicer, for them, and me.. lol ... They are all up to date on there shots, lime disease, rabies , etc ...

Just dont want to run into that thing I didn't take into account for, mabye some people have had some experiences un-forseen taking the dogs to the cottage ...

My dogs dont swim, they cant, the water near the dam on the east end (where my cabins are located) is shallow, so that shouldn't be a problem ..

Not sure exactly what to ask for advice, lol, but ... anything is appreciated :)

Thanks

Trevor.

just be careful of other animals that may aggravate them, or any animal they may spook and make defensive.. wolves, bears, coyotes, other dogs..

they can swim, trust me, its something they have programmed into them. they just never had the need to do so.

just be careful of other animals that may aggravate them, or any animal they may spook and make defensive.. wolves, bears, coyotes, other dogs..

they can swim, trust me, its something they have programmed into them. they just never had the need to do so.

there both schutzhund dogs so they should be able to handle themselves for the most part... They have too much muscle to swim, like a dude on steroids, sink like a rock ...

Wolves, think theres alot up there ? I have yet to see them, but I JUST obtained the land this year ...

*edit and are the coyotes plentiful up there ??

Edited by Trevor Perkins

Wolves will try and coax them away so the pack can jump them and bears usually won't bother unless provoked by the dogs. Moose can lay a beating on dogs as well. On well placed hoof will kill a dog faster than a bear ever could.

Just keep you eye on them and do not let them wander off and get into trouble.

My dog isn't a swimming dog either, but he can swim if pressured. He like to wade belly deep in the lake though.

Wolves will try and coax them away so the pack can jump them and bears usually won't bother unless provoked by the dogs. Moose can lay a beating on dogs as well. On well placed hoof will kill a dog faster than a bear ever could.

Just keep you eye on them and do not let them wander off and get into trouble.

My dog isn't a swimming dog either, but he can swim if pressured. He like to wade belly deep in the lake though.

Those smart assed wolves...

I guess I overlooked the not so obvious, but more destructive, and dangerous scenario ... Moose ... would have thought, but defn' overlooked! thanks.

I don't live that far north, but my backyard is the North Kawartha Highlands Park.

We bush wolves and bears etc. I have 100 pound golden, and haven't had any troubles since he moved in. I believe that the wild critters won't look for confrontations, they will stay away from a place with big dogs. Especially if you are careful about not leaving any food scent around.

An animal does`t have to be big to be dangerous to your dogs. Dad and my brother were going by an island at Pointe Au Baril one time and heard a dog in distress. They took a look and found the owner, a lady waving for help. The dog had a confrontation with a Porcupine.

Years ago I had a few encounters with Rattlesnakes there. It is nice to be able to take your pets with you, but stuff can happen.

Hey everyone, looking for some tips/advice ... I'll be taking my 2 Bullmastiff's up north with me in a couple weeks(Lake Nepewassi) ... This will be there first time really in the bush, They have never been near a boat before, nor that far from civilization .. I dont think they'll wander, they are very well trained dogs ...

Thanks

Trevor.

First time in the bush can give them some scents they've never encountered before and as much as you say they may be well trained and don't wander, I'd be a little more inclined to keep them on a line of some sort. Easier to reel them in than go looking for one that has decided to roam and get into trouble.

Scents would be an issue, both my dogs are 'in-tact', and the male, hes a sucker for new smells ... and extremely protective of his little sister ... The line is a perfect idea for them up there, until we go for hikes, but .. around the cabin .. such a good idea!

I didn't even know porcupines where around there at all, I saw some at science north as a kid, but, thats crazy\! .. I'll have to watch out for sure ... a line sounds like a really good idea, I'll string one up the length of the property, like a clothes line(steel of course), just clip them into that line, so they can walk around the land, without wandering! .. thanks! :) ...

good lookin' cane btw!

Depending on where you are I would worry a little less about the bears, wolves, porcupines etc and make sure that they are protected somewhat from the bugs. A week or so ago the deerflies were making life miserable for the dogs that were at Lakair.

Depending on where you are I would worry a little less about the bears, wolves, porcupines etc and make sure that they are protected somewhat from the bugs. A week or so ago the deerflies were making life miserable for the dogs that were at Lakair.

yeah, last time I was up there, the bugs were absolutely rediculous, deer flies by day, skitters by night ...

know of any good repellant I coudl use on dogs ? is deet bad for dogs moreso than us?

I would have absolutely no idea what to use on the pooches ..

I would check with your vet on the deet question, I don't even use it on my skin, just clothing.

Advantix seems to work for 3-4 weeks against mosquito's and biting flies. Again I would check with your vet

for appropriate dose etc...

Additionally a repelling collar as a back up would probably help too.

I would check with your vet on the deet question, I don't even use it on my skin, just clothing.

Advantix seems to work for 3-4 weeks against mosquito's and biting flies. Again I would check with your vet

for appropriate dose etc...

Additionally a repelling collar as a back up would probably help too.

I'll have to do that, they have to go in this week for there monthly flee/tick/heartworm advantix :) ... so i'll defn' ask about that...

Wow this a good thread I am actually heading up this weekend to a family cottage with my shepherd.

I guess outside of porcupines, skunks maybe? Also if they are not good swimmers, a life jacket couldn't hurt if you come across any deep water at least they are ok if they fall in. I would imagine trying to rescue a 100+ lbs dog would not be easy.

Bring benadryl for allergic reactions works really well for dogs and I think its equates to roughly 1mg per pound. This can be confirmed online or with your vet.

I also bring my pooches camping.... As for repellent I spray a bandana

with Deep Woods Off and tie it around their necks seems to work..

I also take OFF Skintastic lotion and rub it on their abdomens.

Watch out for BEES my Mini-Pinscher had a bad reaction... BENADRYL was a miracle cure... I now keep it with us where ever we may go with the dogs.

If excited when traveling I give them each a GRAVOL before the trip..

My dogs are roughly the size of your Bulls head Jack Russel/Chihuahua

and a Min Pin....3 years ago on NEPEWASSI (west end North Shore Rd near the Gunsmoke game preserve)

@ my sisters cottage Paris(Min-Pin)with Tiny(Jack) close behind chased down 2 Coyotes until they lept into the lake to get away... so there's no way that a 1/2 smart Wild Canine would ever tangle with your Bulls.

As for the Pokry's be very cautious as there are a lot up here.paris2.jpg

tiny1.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Thanks!! benedryl is another great idea! ...

your dogs are very cute little guys ... ballsy i'de guess to chase off some coyotes :) ... I'm glad to hear they are skidish like that, the coyotes around London here, there so used to the farm dogs, they dont scare that easily! good news for sure ..

still blows my mind theres lots of porky's up there! I would absolutely hate to cross one of them ... as a kid being told they shoot there quills(konwing now thats false), put a bad taste in my mouth, forever to be scared of the little devils..lol. ...

This forum is great, I've defn said it before, but the people on here seem to be so nice! ..

when i go up to nepewassi, if anyone is down for a day of fishing, I'de love the company :)

Another thing to watch for is Poision Ivy.. Dogs go running though that stuff, then you pet them, and get it on your hands. Or worse, they run thought it, then go for a afternoon napsky on your pillow!!

As mentioned before in this thread, I alway put a life vest on my dog when she's in the boat. She jumped overboard once while we where in motion, and almost got run over..

We always skipped the worries and dropped our lab off at the local trainer/boarding kennel. Even though her specialty was King Sheppards she loved him to death.. took him to the mall to keep his obedence in check.. gave him a nice bath, spoiled him with treats, etc ..... while we enjoyed our vacation/camping outings without the worries of whether our dog was bothering neighbouring campers or attracting predators to our children.

We always skipped the worries and dropped our lab off at the local trainer/boarding kennel. Even though her specialty was King Sheppards she loved him to death.. took him to the mall to keep his obedence in check.. gave him a nice bath, spoiled him with treats, etc ..... while we enjoyed our vacation/camping outings without the worries of whether our dog was bothering neighbouring campers or attracting predators to our children.

This would have been the preferred option, but for 2 reasons no longer ...

First, I plan on running hydro to the cabin, and moving up there for the available months of the year, so they do have to get used to it ... and secondly .... I had put my boy jaxson in a kennel before when the ex-girlfriend and I had taken a weekend for our anniversary to goto Niagra Falls ... When we got back, jaxson had a crooked eye, and was really really skiddish for about a week afterwards .... with no definitive proof that it was the kennel .... might I add .. hes a show dog, so we defn' notice things like this about him, and would have noticed previously .... took him to a dog eye doctor(optimologist, or soemthing) ... He had determined it was trauma that had affected Jaxsons' eye causing it to go 'lazy' .... Thank god hes ok, and had gained his canadian championship before this .... So I had promised him and myself the dogs woudl never go into a kennel again!!

*edit : also, no neighbouring campers really, about 10 acres between my cabins and the closest cabins down the lake .. now that is an approximation, im grew up a city kid, acreage has never been my stong suit .. lol ...

Edited by Trevor Perkins

A blaze orange collar with a pressure release tab and a riveted I.D. tag with your cell #.Attaching a bell is a plus both for finding them and prevents them from sneaking up on animals. Ask your vet for a list of medications, bandages and wound closure items to have on hand. I keep a kit on all of the boats for man and beast just in case it is to far for immediate critical care.

Art

A blaze orange collar with a pressure release tab and a riveted I.D. tag with your cell #.Attaching a bell is a plus both for finding them and prevents them from sneaking up on animals. Ask your vet for a list of medications, bandages and wound closure items to have on hand. I keep a kit on all of the boats for man and beast just in case it is to far for immediate critical care.

Art

I thought I had all the bases covered until I saw your suggestion on the collar. Great tips.