Ethanol Damaging Outboard Motors

Two years ago I was having all kinds of problems. One night on both my big motor and kicker. I drained the tanks and put shell hightest in which im told is ethanol free and both have run great.

Very true. I think it has been posted here before.

I use nothing but Shell premium gas in all my small engines including my outboard. Things have never run better. It's the only one I know that is 100% ethanol free, though I'm sure there are others.

When will they get off of this ethanol kick? Let's starve the world to feed our cars. :dunno:

I use nothing but Shell premium gas in all my small engines including my outboard. Things have never run better. It's the only one I know that is 100% ethanol free, though I'm sure there are others.

When will they get off of this ethanol kick? Let's starve the world to feed our cars. :dunno:

I've long heard about possible water from Ethanol fuels. I've been using Petro Can high test as I was sure they also are ethanol free, just their Tactrol additive which near as I can tell has been a good cleaning agent for all my small engines...hope I'm right about Petro Can.

What annoys me is places like Sunoco that don't have it advertised on the pumps and their employees are clueless about what's in their product.

I've long heard about possible water from Ethanol fuels. I've been using Petro Can high test as I was sure they also are ethanol free, just their Tactrol additive which near as I can tell has been a good cleaning agent for all my small engines...hope I'm right about Petro Can.

What annoys me is places like Sunoco that don't have it advertised on the pumps and their employees are clueless about what's in their product.

Sunoco and petro are the same

I work for petrocanada and can tell you that the only difference between petro, sunoco, esso and shell is the additives that they put in the fuel. All supreme fuel from all companies has no ethanol in them. Ethanol isn't bad for engines. The only problem with ethanol is that its corrosive when mixed with water. When people started using gas with increased ethanol it simply cleaned there tanks out and this caused problems with there motors. Ethanol has been in fuel for a number of years they have just increased the amount of ethanol in the fuel.

Cheers Jeff

Shell 91 is all I use even in the lawn mower, ethanol fuel already cost me $700 in repairs good thing I changed over a few years ago as I hear ppl having injector issues with ethanol too!!!. I hope that Shell will still sell ethanol free gas for years to come:)

The daily drivers get 87.

I disagree with much of what they say

the world is starving and we are turning our food into gas

it costs more for gas because ethanol is added

and when you add up the carbon footprint to get it from a seed to a gas product..it;s not that green...IMHO

I just replaced my fuel level gauge on my gas tank, because it became disfigured due to what I believe is an ethenal issue.

I might have to try what others are , and use supreme gas from Shell and see if it makes a difference. Not that I like spending extra cash every week, but it might save me in the long run.

Terry,

I think you read the article, but you don't like the facts.

North America over produces corn. Some years we can't even give it away. Food supplys are not decreased due to ethanol and grocery costs don't go up due to ethanol. It helps farm economies with their ablitiy to sell to ethanol plants. When groceries cost more, look at the price of a barrel of oil, and chalk it up to that!

Ehtanol costs are comparable. In ten years the gasoline is going to be much more valuable than ethanol, so what are we going to be paying at the pump then? Today E85 in the US is 22.5% less expensive compared to gas. If you had a flex fuel truck in Minnisota, what would you buy, E85 for 60$ or gas for like 75$ a tank?

Studies typically show 30% reduction in carbon footprint field to pump for ethanol versus gasoline. New Yale University study show's it's more like 49% to 60% reduced. Also it's getting better all the time.

Ethanol from corn is just the beginning, and new technologies and productions sources will make Biofuels a fuel of the future. Corn stocks/stover, algea, switch grass, sorted municple wastes, other agricultural products typically grown on poor land. New enzymes, new technologies and progressive thinking will all improve Biofuels.

Terry,

I think you read the article, but you don't like the facts.

North America over produces corn. Some years we can't even give it away. Food supplys are not decreased due to ethanol and grocery costs don't go up due to ethanol. It helps farm economies with their ablitiy to sell to ethanol plants. When groceries cost more, look at the price of a barrel of oil, and chalk it up to that!

Ehtanol costs are comparable. In ten years the gasoline is going to be much more valuable than ethanol, so what are we going to be paying at the pump then? Today E85 in the US is 22.5% less expensive compared to gas. If you had a flex fuel truck in Minnisota, what would you buy, E85 for 60$ or gas for like 75$ a tank?

Studies typically show 30% reduction in carbon footprint field to pump for ethanol versus gasoline. New Yale University study show's it's more like 49% to 60% reduced. Also it's getting better all the time.

Ethanol from corn is just the beginning, and new technologies and productions sources will make Biofuels a fuel of the future. Corn stocks/stover, algea, switch grass, sorted municple wastes, other agricultural products typically grown on poor land. New enzymes, new technologies and progressive thinking will all improve Biofuels.

Some people will believe anything, I've also heard that Ethanol is just as dirty as gas, cost more than gas to produce and uses more product to refine it. If we had that much extra corn, why is the crap so expensive, 2 cobs of pig food for 90 cents.

and I was thinking of the future... as farm land is shrinking, big time

and if ethanol is the way of the future, I can see it competing with food for growing space...

as for the rest, I read a few reports in the past and never took the time to see which way it was bent

everyone who writes reports bend them to prove their point

but I know the locals in Collingwood hates the ethanol pant in their town

and I was thinking of the future... as farm land is shrinking, big time

and if ethanol is the way of the future, I can see it competing with food for growing space...

as for the rest, I read a few reports in the past and never took the time to see which way it was bent

everyone who writes reports bend them to prove their point

but I know the locals in Collingwood hates the ethanol pant in their town

Except the one's that work there