Atlantic or not?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Just kidding folks.

I don't think I've actually posted a report since ice fishing so I thought I'd let those who care know what I've been up to.

Aside from working way too much (lamprey chokin' is my business, and business is good), and fatherhood (which is more work than any job out there) I do still fish when I can. The last week or so I've been chasing atlantics on the st. mary's river. There's something amazing about watching these wicked fish slashing through schools of smelt mere feet away from your boat, and the fight is rivaled only by the acrobatic attack of the atlantic's left coast cousin mykiss.

Recently I've had some success on suspending cranks in the slower moving waters, and 4" gulp minnows with 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigheads. The run will only improve from here. While my picture taking of late has been less than vigilant, I did take a picture of a smaller eater I took home tonight. Not bad for downtown fishin' at all.

Luc

002-1.jpg

100% Atlantic ...im sure they are fun on light tackle ...but if you fished them on the big water like Lake Ont they are a joke no fight ...even the lakers put up a way better battle .... :Gonefishing:

Edited by Fishmaster

Sweet fish, I envy you guys up there you got a real sweet fishery on your door step. I lived in the soo in the early 80's before the atlantics and it was sweet fishing then adding that species has just made it much better.I really enjoy your reports, would like to get up there again and give the Atlantics a try, not to mention the awsome Steelheading there and the superior tribs.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey Doctor you ever fished landlocked atlantics out east? Just wondering if the fight is comparable. Might have to make a trip up to the soo. Save the drive to Labrador

I haven`t fought any landlocks. But, since I started hooking into the odd atlantic 10 years ago on the st. mary`s , I`ve got about a 20% success rate on landing them on light tackle. They don`t seem to tire, they make wild runs, and jump higher than any other fish i`ve seen. The best part is, they are a very underutilized run so far here in the Sault. I expect that to change over the next 5 years as people catch on to just how many fish are in the river.

Don`t believe me? See for yourself!

St. Mary's River Fish Cam

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Well that was absolutely delicious. Filleted, brushed with oil, sprinkled with dill, and lemon juice and salt added after.... Wowsers! I think I found a way to get the wife to WANT me to get out fishing more!

:clapping:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I wish I had an American university stuff my local hole with $2mil worth of fish every year...what's your catch % on N.Shore Chinooks?

:Gonefishing:

Go make your own thread cronz.

There's gotta be one in every thread these days... It's no wonder there's never any reports any more.

Beautiful fish Luc. I'd love to try getting one by skating a dry fly on top with the fly rod one day. If that's a small eater size, what's a big one for the rapids?

I'll also admit I would have a hard time NOT sticking that thing in the oven :D. wrapped in foil with a bit of roasted garlic, sliced lemons, salt and pepper...

Well done!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I'll also admit I would have a hard time NOT sticking that thing in the oven :D. wrapped in foil with a bit of roasted garlic, sliced lemons, salt and pepper...

because of the high oil content, i find them best straight on the grill... lol

i don't keep a lot of them but that fish was fought for so long i didn't think it was going to survive. and to think, they don't peak for another several weeks...

off to manitoulin island tomorrow...