boat carpet cleaning

rob v

The carpet in my boat (original carpet) is about 6 or 7 years old now and starting to show its age, i.e. fish guts, blood, slime, coffee stains etc, and I'm looking for cleaning suggestions.

I've tried the spot cleaning route and it helps - but I'm looking for a good general cleaning. I was thinking of a couple of things, powerwash with some soap/cleaner/scrubbing ? or perhaps one of those rental steam cleaners from the grocery store?

The alternative would be to change it completely - but I'm not interested in that kind of expense right now.

Any suggestions from those who know ?

Thanks.

The carpet in my boat (original carpet) is about 6 or 7 years old now and starting to show its age, i.e. fish guts, blood, slime, coffee stains etc, and I'm looking for cleaning suggestions.

I've tried the spot cleaning route and it helps - but I'm looking for a good general cleaning. I was thinking of a couple of things, powerwash with some soap/cleaner/scrubbing ? or perhaps one of those rental steam cleaners from the grocery store?

The alternative would be to change it completely - but I'm not interested in that kind of expense right now.

Any suggestions from those who know ?

Thanks.

i wouldn't use a steam cleaner as you could melt the glue holding the carpet on. we used to clean our old boat carpet the same way we would the one in our home.. some carpet cleaner, and elbow grease lol. its a nasty job but you'll be happy once your done.

Tow it down to a 'do it yourself car wash' and use JUST the WATER ONLY CYCLE....works fantastic....Don't use the soap as I did once because it takes forever to get the soap out then......while doing it turn on the billage pump and watch the crud come pouring out.

I do mine every year (1750 Crestliner)in the drive way. Water only and the power washer set on mid wide setting. It's amazing the stuff that build up in the carpet. Outside of the blood and some oil stains that are pretty much part of the fabric now, it comes up great. Another good thing is you can easily see the spots you missed when the carpet dries out.

If you don't have a power washer this is a great excuse to go out and get one

Every fall I un-snap mine.. roll it out on the hangar floor and wash with straight water thru the power washer and scrub with a bristle broom...let it dry and put it away before the ice ladden musky trips.

I just put it back in today, after being rolled up all winter.. looks like new!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks a lot guys - I'll give the old power washer a try and follow up with the shop vac, avoid the soap and keep the pressure on the powerwasher to a reasonable amount (i.e. don't overdue it). And I've got exactly the same boat Fang !

Thanks very much for the input.

I did mine yesterday with the power washer... no soap or anything. Came out great. My floors are removable - makes it even easier, I just take them out, lean against the side of the boat and power spray, start at the top and work my way down. Amazing how much crap comes out...

Power wash with water is good for cleaning, then shop-vac up remaining water. For nasty stains like blood or oil I use Spray Nine mixed 4 to 1 with water. 4 part water 1 part spray nine. Spray on and scrub stain with a stiff brush, then vac stain area and rinse with water and vac again.

Power wash with water is good for cleaning, then shop-vac up remaining water. For nasty stains like blood or oil I use Spray Nine mixed 4 to 1 with water. 4 part water 1 part spray nine. Spray on and scrub stain with a stiff brush, then vac stain area and rinse with water and vac again.

Be very careful washing with chemicals. It's very easy to cause pitting on your cowling if the power washer oe even the hose throws any of them up on your cowling. I learned the hard way, I was using Spray Nine to clean mildew from my carpet. Took just a plain hose to rinse the carpet on a hot sunny day and apparently threw some up on my cowling. After everything dried I had a bunch of pits on my cowling. Spray Nine no longer gets near my boat.