Skunked, Skunked, & Skunked again!

Big Cliff

Thanks Johnny, but don't fish for a living anymore so I don't consider myself a pro, just a friend who could maybe offer something different to try.

Wil, this could work as I am still on the hunt for a boat. Maybe we could all set something up!

"Cliff Walleye Challenge" The CWC event winner(Cliff by default)buys the beer! Win win all around. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Harrison

See dad? Teressa's got the goat. Now all we need is a broom handle and a dwarf!

Somebody tell him he can't be talkin' about sacrificing virgins in front of his own very daughter. No wonder she calls him a goat. At least I assume she meant him when she said she'd bring the goat.

JF

Well, I sure appreciate all the offers of advice, I haven't stored my rods anywhere near gas, bug repellant, or anything else that I can think of that wouuld impart a scent. I usually use any one of 4 different rods when I am out, two with mono, two with braid. The one mono rod is rigged with 6 lb, the other with 8 lb..

Roy, if I knew what I was doing wrong I wouldn't be doing it LOL. The only consolation I have right now is that my next door neighbour who has also fished this lake for about 20 years isn't doing any better than I am.

As far as someone hiding a banana on the boat, well, all I can say is they must have done a darn good job of hiding it because I can't find it LOL.

Harrison that is a very kind offer and I'd love to get out with you but I am already comitted this Sunday and if the weather man is right, we'd be dodging thunder storms anyway. Any other time that works for you?

My darling Daughter Teressa, you know that nice pickerel dinner I told you I would bring up; get the goat ready, I have a good recipe for curried goat because as it stands right now you are just going to have to do without the fresh pickerel.

Sinker that is just plain adding insult to injury LOL. Right in front of my place eh? Guess I'll just have to start fishing for muskie, oh wait, I haven't been catching them either LOL.

I haven't tried night fishing yet but I might just have to!

Ron, if I haven't figured them out by mid July I might just have to take you up on that!

John, I'd be embarrased to have you come up fishing with the way my luck has been going!

Aw Dad, I don't mind going without pickerel...I would be satisfied with a nice meal of pike or bass when you come up, at this point even a barbutt supper is making my mouth water, those trout we caught last Sunday were good, but I miss the variety. I know why you haven't been catching anything Dad, the fish are taking a break with you until we get down there. Or you could always try Grandpa's trick...he used to tell me you need to sing to them to get them to bite...always worked with him, he just wasnt sure if they bit so they wouldnt have to hear him anymore or if they enjoyed his singing biggrin.gif

Aw Dad, I don't mind going without pickerel...I would be satisfied with a nice meal of pike or bass when you come up, at this point even a barbutt supper is making my mouth water, those trout we caught last Sunday were good, but I miss the variety. I know why you haven't been catching anything Dad, the fish are taking a break with you until we get down there. Or you could always try Grandpa's trick...he used to tell me you need to sing to them to get them to bite...always worked with him, he just wasnt sure if they bit so they wouldnt have to hear him anymore or if they enjoyed his singing biggrin.gif

Oh, that's just great. Now all over Ontario yer gonna be hearing the painful sound of fishermen doing their best Bing Crosby for the fish. I can't even begin to imagine what our lakes are gonna sound like, and the fish may all just migrate to OHIO or something.

Sheesh!

JF

Hey Cliff

The slump has started for me again after those two amazing days. All great athletes go through a slump, so hang in there, it should be over soon. Seriously, try the suggestion of fishing off the dock at night, I know another guy that does that and has success on Sturgeon.

Cliff im not sure where you live on the lake, but me and my buddy were fishin it yesterday.. wind sucked so we ended up trolling and well we caught 1 each, (16'' and 17'') slowly trolling a beetle spin / white grub. also hooked into probably one of the biggest largies I have ever seen..(trolling) didnt plan it nor did I land it.

also caught some HUGE rock bass and sunfish ! and well a ton of perch that wouldnt leave our lures alone

Edited by fish-meister

I caught my PB Largemouth (though OOS) last weekend on Scugog. I was casting a beetle spin with yellow YUM grub into the weeds.

Still no walleye for me this season...

ya there are some BIG fish in the Kawartha's my buddy hooked into a good 6lb smallie the last time i was on Scugog.. but if you find scattered weed beds in about 4-6' of water let your beetle spin or hair jig fall into the pockets then rip it out. as well cast and reel along the top and edges of it. seem to work for me. I find the more contact you have with the bottom the better. alot of my fish I have been catching are right along bottom. expecially on sunny days. though on over cast days they arnt as tight to the structure.. hope that helps

One of my go to lures over the years for walley has been a #2 or #3 silver mepps (very similar to the beetle spin and we tip it with two (not one, not three) 1" white twister tails and they always produce for me(except this year). In fact the only hit I did have the other evening that I thought might have been a walleye was on one of those mepps.

I just stopped in to Queensway Bait this afternoon and picked up another 6 bucktails with different head colours and tail configurations. I also picked up a spool of 10lb fluro leader material which I am going to use on my braided lines. One thing I am thinking is that I have been using a snap swivel on my lines this year to facilitate changing up more quickly. I can't remember that ever being a problem before but I am starting to wonder if the extreemly clear water and the snap swivel could be making any difference. If I remember correctly in years gone by I have always tied directly to my line and I only started using braid this year too. The more I think about it when I fished and guided in the French I would never use anything but 6 lb mono Crystal Clear Line with no leader, no snap swivel and a smaller hook than you would normally consider using for walleye. I WILL figure this out!!!!!

Tie direct, no hardware. In the case of braid + fluoro either join the two lines with a uni to uni or use the tiniest swivel you have. Tie the leader directly to the jig with some type of cinch knot & push the knot towards the hook so the jig sits horizontal in the water. a snap will just cause the jig to flop around and sit vertically.

you probably know all this stuff so forgive me!!

here's a tease.

day-one.jpg

also remember the spring bite was over a looooooooooong time ago this year. i don't know what type of water you are fishing but i don't think you'll get them on typical late may early june spots.

Edited by Raf

haha Cliff I know how ya feel! tho I have been using 15lb braid when Im fishing weeds. and I try and have a 8-10 lb Fluro Leader when fishing open/clear water.. as for the snap swivel.. who knows.. I guess it just depends how picky the walleye are.

ps#1 try trolling through red bouy's #cp12-cp13

ps#2 where is Queensway Bait? never heard of it..

Ok, I catch quite a few walleye. I consider myself pretty good at catching them, BUT, I've NEVER caught one on a bucktail. I won't even waste my time with those damn things!!! 3" white grub on a pink 1/4oz head is all ya need to catch walleye out of sturgeon. Either that, or a big ass black and orange musky spinner bait :) No need to go far, I'm getting them about 500m from your doorstep. Straight west. Find the deep weed edge, and have atter.

15lb power pro, to an 8lb fluoro leader, tied with a uni-uni. No swivel, no snaps. Just drag it along bottom, nice and slow.

They're in there Cliff, go get 'em!!!

s.

haha Cliff I know how ya feel! tho I have been using 15lb braid when Im fishing weeds. and I try and have a 8-10 lb Fluro Leader when fishing open/clear water.. as for the snap swivel.. who knows.. I guess it just depends how picky the walleye are.

ps#1 try trolling through red bouy's #cp12-cp13

ps#2 where is Queensway Bait? never heard of it..

Sorry, my bad, it is Kawartha Lakes Bait And Tackle on Queen St. Lindsay.

haha I was going to say. I check out as many fish'n stores as I can and learn which 1s have the best prices for each items

I really like dealing there, the owner is a very quiet guy, never pushy, but the more I get to know him, the more I like him. I find his prices for most things to be quite good, I got a really nice ultralite outfit in there a couple of weeks ago for $35.00 and he has a very good selection of baits and tackle. I buy my worms from him now, $12.00/100. Sure beats paying $2.50 a dozen. Besides that, I'd rather support the little guy.

I really like dealing there, the owner is a very quiet guy, never pushy, but the more I get to know him, the more I like him. I find his prices for most things to be quite good, I got a really nice ultralite outfit in there a couple of weeks ago for $35.00 and he has a very good selection of baits and tackle. I buy my worms from him now, $12.00/100. Sure beats paying $2.50 a dozen. Besides that, I'd rather support the little guy.

agreed, hes quiet but at the same time he will tell ya pretty much anything you would like to know. and on top of all that if you want somthing that he doesnt have in the shop he can order and get it for you!

and well ya his prices arnt all that bad at all

Harrison that is a very kind offer and I'd love to get out with you but I am already comitted this Sunday and if the weather man is right, we'd be dodging thunder storms anyway. Any other time that works for you?

No worries, I am pretty busy from now on bud. With bass opener coming up and fishing a few tournaments this year, getting back into the game, time is gone.

Raf and Sinker both hit the nail on the head with their guidance on the uni uni. Sinker even gave you the area we'd be fish'n Cliff.

Good luck.

Edited by Harrison

I've been shopping there for years now cliff. Gerry is a great guy. He also makes some nice musky baits. He'll custom make a lot of different lures in any colour you want. Just ask. He's a great guy to deal with for warranty stuff too. I take all my broken stuff to him, and he always makes me happy. I've even had him bring bait to his house for me to pick up after hours.........good guy for sure. Don't forget he sells all hunting/fishing licenses too! The other guy up the road wouldn't get my business if he was the last guy on the planet.......what a knob!!

S.

Well, I did get out last night, fished from about 7 until about 9:30, tried both bucktails and pink jig/white grub. No hits on the bucktails but I have been using 3/8 oz, perhaps I need to drop down in weight a bit, guess I'll have to stop in and see Gerry later today.

I did get quite a few hits on the grub, 3 solid hits two of which actually bit the grub right off just short of the hook so that is encouraging and a lot of what I think might have been perch or rock bass hits, tap tap tap but no hook set. Might have to come down a little in hook size too.

Most of the action seemed to be in about 10-12 FOW just off the edges of the weeds, boy are the weeds ever getting thick out there now.

Anyway it was a beautiful evening out on the water.

Edited by Big Cliff

Most of the action seemed to be in about 10-12 FOW just off the edges of the weeds, boy are the weeds ever getting thick out there now.

Maybe try the below Cliff. Heading into the weedline a couple feet...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42144&hl=harrison&st=0