stand up tops

mercforever

I got a guy that will put up a stand up top ,the full monty,for my new tracker,$1200.Here's my dilema.

I can imagine they're awesome when you want to get out of the elements,but I never troll,and I think I'm going to curse it more than appreciate it.$1200 can buy decent rain suits and sun screen.Any input from guys who have one would be appreciated.I gotta act fast,that $1200 is gonna be $1600 next month,slow season for them........

I guess it comes down to how much you mind fishing in dirty weather.

I don't have a stand-up cover on my boat either, and 99 % of the time I wouldn't want one, but I do have a good Gore-Tex rain suit and don't normally worry about how much it rains, but must admit I've been jealous a few times on cold snowy days when I see someone cruising by all covered up & dry, and I've got icycles hanging off my mustache. :w00t:

The covers are a pain if your casting, but can be awesome when your trolling in nasty weather.

I normally fish with Squid in the cold months of November & December and some days his covered boat is worth a million bucks ;)

I'm buying a Bimini for my boat this summer as I have a single console boat. Alot cheaper and at least I'll be able to hide out from the sun and rain a bit. If I owned a full console boat with windshield I would invest in the full enclosure though for those nasty days.

I have a custom stand up top on my boat. If I plan on casting I leave it off. If i'm trolling and its cold and/or rainy I put it on and its great. Problem is being custom it doesn't fold down out of the way nicely like most factory tops. Get the guy to build it in a way that it can be folded down/up easily!

I have a Bimini top and have only used it once, tops get in the way for casters, sometimes I wish I had a full top for Oct, Nov, Dec.

Do they make small tops that cover a single console ? I thought about getting a custom top made that just covers a single console sorta like a little 1 man portable ice hut, I think it would sell good if it hasn't been invented yet.

Edited by GbayGiant

If you fish larger bodies of water in the early spring and fall you will appreciate the top, especially on cold windy days. In summer when it's in the 30's. flat calm and the sun is beating down on you it's also nice to have the top. The boat I'm selling as well as every boat I fish out of on the Great Lakes has a top, some with a clear plastic back so you can zip up but still look out. This last season it was nice to be in my buddies Striper fishing in 40 degree weather with wind and rain all closed up inside. When we started there were about 35 to 40 boats out within 2 hours only one's left were boats with tops. I also intend to put a small bimini on my 16ft. Lowe this year only to get myself and Amy out of the sun on those warm days.

Edited by Garyv

I'd do some shopping around. I don't think the full top on my new Baron was even $1200...but of course they have patterns etc..not one off like you're doing. Mine has stand up top and the front is clear to see forward out of.....and that entire clear panel can be zipped/snapped off leaving a Bimimi top for those hot sunny days.

Telling us where you live would probably help getting you in contact with others that do tops for comparison pricing.

• 1 month later...

I only use the standup in October and the whole thing really gets in the way of casting and is in the way when folded up at the back. Buy a travel cover if the boat didn't come with one. I put it on every night whether camping or tieing up to the dock. It is far more handy and funtional.

Guest lundboy

Mine lays down flat on the floor when it's folded up. I only use it when it rains, or when the sun is unbearable. But it does come in handy for such an occasion, and it only takes about 5 mins to put up.

This one is a true Lund Dodger top, probably made by Dufort Industries (link above) for Lund out in Winnipeg.

Edited by lundboy

They can be a pain for casting but I burn very easy and a spot to get out of the sun is a savior for me. As said before early spring and late fall fishing especially on the bigger lakes is great and one last thing last year at the French we wanted to do some drifting for walleye and there wasn't much wind and we weren't having much success so I put the top up and we nailed three walleye and 4 pike in a very short time.

Mine lays down flat on the floor when it's folded up. I only use it when it rains, or when the sun is unbearable. But it does come in handy for such an occasion, and it only takes about 5 mins to put up.

This one is a true Lund Dodger top, probably made by Dufort Industries (link above) for Lund out in Winnipeg.

Hey Lundboy, do you have more photos of your boat? If you don't mind, could you share some more of it with the top and on how it is installed on your boat?

Is yours a Pro-V or something else? That is exactly what I'm looking for. How do you like the construction of the top? I'm thinking of ordering one from them if I can't find someone local that carries them.

Thanks,

VB

Guest lundboy
Hey Lundboy, do you have more photos of your boat? If you don't mind, could you share some more of it with the top and on how it is installed on your boat?

Is yours a Pro-V or something else? That is exactly what I'm looking for. How do you like the construction of the top? I'm thinking of ordering one from them if I can't find someone local that carries them.

Thanks,

VB

All,

I posted 3 pics in my public gallery if anyone wants a look.

I'm very happy with the Dodger Top solid as a rock.