$ 495+ tax!

siwash

Boy, was that a kick in the ass... just got the quote on my motor "repair" for my 70 HP 1982 Evinrunde

gonna cost me well over $500 with tax.

Klaus Marine said the top carb was "gummed up" (dirty, old fuel?) and the cylinder head gasket needed replacement. Probably $80 parts.

I need to buy a manual and learn how to do this stuff myself. I just find it intimidating... but $500 is more intimidating.

I only paid $1900 for the entire boat package.

Damn!

swordfish, if you have any mechanical skill cleaning and rebuilding the carbs is not that hard, the head gasket really isn't either.

I admit it is a little intimidating at first but once you tear into it it isn't that bad.

There was a post on here about a year or so ago that gave an web address to a library that had free manuals for download, I'll see if I can find it.

Jeff

Sounds like a lot.

A can of Seafoam would've cleaned up the carb...

Wouldn't have done much to help the head gasket though. Might have even made it worse. Maybe now you will start to use fuel stabilizer in every tank, won't repair the head gasket but it will prevent fuel problems in the future.

I couldn't find it on my laptop, it might be on the home computer.

Fuel stabilizer is you're friend, with a gummed up carb that cylinder would run lean. Running a two stroke motor lean means that the motor is not being properly lubricated, because the oil, gas mix is what lubricates the entire motor.

Jeff

http://forums.iboats.com/ has a lot of manuals to DL I think it's under the adults only sticky and its only titled that way to get your attention its a FAQ section great site lots of helpful people

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=301361

I think this is were the rude manuals are.

Edited by SRT8

Wouldn't have done much to help the head gasket though. Might have even made it worse. Maybe now you will start to use fuel stabilizer in every tank, won't repair the head gasket but it will prevent fuel problems in the future.

Doubt it would make it worse, plus it's an easy fix if does work.

Beyond dumping a can in the gas and running it through the motor, you can pop off the plugs and pour some into the cylinder heads to soak overnight.

I am with Cliff on this one

if you put stuff in to clean things out

gunk and small particles around the gasket will be removed and the gasket will leak more

remove the carb and clean it..

Fuel stabilizer eh? I thought that was for fuel that sits over the winter?

swordfish, if you have any mechanical skill cleaning and rebuilding the carbs is not that hard, the head gasket really isn't either.

I admit it is a little intimidating at first but once you tear into it it isn't that bad.

There was a post on here about a year or so ago that gave an web address to a library that had free manuals for download, I'll see if I can find it.

Jeff

I am not mechanically inclined... i don't even know what these things do... I will admit, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Guys like me end up getting ripped off, I guess...

I would like to learn... :(

Thanks guys.. like I said previously, I am a mechanical idiot. I need to learn what the purpose of these parts is.. I am going to locate a manual then educate myself via the web. I am so mad that I had to spend $500... especially since I don't have a lot of money.

;(

I am not mechanically inclined... i don't even know what these things do... I will admit, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Guys like me end up getting ripped off, I guess...

I would like to learn... :(

I don't feel like you are being ripped off. I am not a marine mechanic but I am in a similar field....plumbing. You have to look at the whole picture...Their is a lot of overhead in the shop and the tools and parts on hand. You figure if the job takes just 4 hours which is a reasonable amount of time for a diagnostic plus work and test time. That is $100.oo per hour to pay the mechanic,secretary,shop overhead,rent,accountant and taxes that's before the profit is realized. The mechanic has a lot of time invested in his education and his tools he deserves to make a good wage for his efforts. I bet once you understand what they had to do to make your motor run correctly you will feel better with the price.

Art

Jeff

You are right, neither job is hard. Having a torque wrench and knowing how to use it properly when you have changed the head gasket takes a little more knowledge and why bother to see if the head is warped or not, stick a new head gasket in it and have at it.

Or you can just use a ratchet and socket and tighten them to 230"lbs (or what ever that feels like; snug and what the heck a quarter turn more just for good luck)Knowing the proper bolt tightening pattern; that you should be able to find in the manual.

Cleaning the gunk out of the carb is easy, knowing what you are looking at when you have the carb apart and checking for a leaking needle valve or seats; float bowl leaks(I guess I shouldn't have spent over $1000.00 on carb tools so I can test and adjust them properly)making sure you put everything back properly and adjusting the jets, what the heck, just tighten them up and back them out a couple of turns and see what happens, who needs a tachometer to tune it properly, adjust until it sounds right!

I'm not trying to make it sound like rocket science but some of the most expensive repairs I have ever had to do were because someone thought "it's just a simple fix, I can do it myself and save some money"!

Those are the ones where I have to go back to square one and try to figure out what they did to it (and most of the time they won't admit to doing anything) but the needle valve seat just jumped out and turned it self upside down and fell right back into place. (Now that is the first thing I would look for if there was a carb problem :sarcasm: Then they get upset because it took me 4 hours to do a job that I could have done in 2 if they hadn't played with it first.

I don't know if you realize it but a marine mechanic has to serve 5000 hours of apprenticeship, (and his first 2000-3000 were probably at slightly above minimum wage) go to school for 24 weeks spaced over 3 years and he can't have a mark on any test below 70% and then write a test for his license, a 120 questions on everything from electronics, to pnumatics, to gear ratios and then some. again, the minimum pass is 70%.

By then he probably has a bare minimum of $7000.00 (and most have a lot more than that) invested in tools.

Oh what the heck for those that want to, good luck on fixing it yourself! The next repair might be a lot more than $500.00.

I'm going fishing!

The thing is, I wouldn't have been able to "diagnose" the issues with the motor...

So, either way, he would have charged me a $100 just to look at it... perhaps I should have taken it home instead of leaving it there.

I swear I will not take it to a mechanic again. I am determined to figure this stuff out on my own in the future...

On a "side note" Klaus just sent me an email. This is what he said:

We found that the engine’s charging system isn’t working.

You have two options:

Install a new stator under the flywheel. This will cost you $421.03

Make sure the extra battery you have is fully charged and good to go.

It costs what it costs, unfortunatly.

The sting in this repair bill is that the motor is only worth $500 in great condition. Had it been a 2002 motor it would probably have cost the same but hurt a lot less. You're not going to get back on the water any cheaper and you will soon forget the repair bill.

The labour rate doesn't seem outrageous at four hours

On a "side note" Klaus just sent me an email. This is what he said:

We found that the engine’s charging system isn’t working.

You have two options:

Install a new stator under the flywheel. This will cost you $421.03

Make sure the extra battery you have is fully charged and good to go.

Ouch!!! That's just rubbing salt in the wound!

That's about what I paid for the stator on my 75 Mariner. The flywheel is pressed on, not an easy DIY job without the tools.

I don't know if you realize it but a marine mechanic has to serve 5000 hours of apprenticeship, (and his first 2000-3000 were probably at slightly above minimum wage) go to school for 24 weeks spaced over 3 years and he can't have a mark on any test below 70% and then write a test for his license, a 120 questions on everything from electronics, to pnumatics, to gear ratios and then some. again, the minimum pass is 70%.

By then he probably has a bare minimum of $7000.00 (and most have a lot more than that) invested in tools.

Oh what the heck for those that want to, good luck on fixing it yourself! The next repair might be a lot more than $500.00.

Typical mechanics response.

What a joke.

Typical mechanics response.

What a joke.

We obviously have a different sense of humour because I didn't find his response very funny. In fact, part of the problems with trades these days is the time and monetary investment for education. Many of today's youth evaluate the cost of education and time investment to achieve a goal and move on to unskilled labour just to maintain a SUBstandard living.

So what do you do for a living?

IF you are the kind of guy who can assemble anything mechanical from a bicycle to a barbeque or lawnmower motor first time without looking at a manual and have no springs or screws left over at then end, some of what you have read is correct. I taught myself to rebuild motorcyle engines with manuals and a call or two when it came to setting up the cams or something else unique.

IF you are always looking at that screw or bolt after you put it together - pay someone. Because you will eventually

Wow Big Clif, didn't mean to step on you're toes. I guess trying to help someone with not so much cash get there boat running so they can get back on the water is an issue. It's not like folks haven't been working on there own stuff for years with no problem, heck some folks can even fabricate there own stuff in there garage.

It isn't like I was telling him to tear apart his lower unit where precise tolerances is a absolute must. I wouldn't want to tear into my lower unit.

Oh well I'm going to stop now, sorry for posting.

Have a good evening.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic