Best method for killing a fish?

I have a small baseball bat that I got when I went to Jerry Park to watch Rusty Staub and the Expos play. It is about 18" long and great for whacking fish.

Note that this only works for real fish, abnormal giant Pennsylvania bass will grab it off of you and hit you with it.

It has worked well so far.

Jim

I have a 70's cop billy club that is like a priest bat. Works well. This year I'm going to try the club and cut after the club.

for those that don't cut and just club. when you filet the fish, put it in a ziplock bag with a full beer overnight and it takes all the blood out of the meat and makes it very tasty.

For pretty much my whole life I'd just let them die in a dry livewell but after talking to a couple chef students I know they tell me that the flesh will be a lot better if the fish dies quickly...if you don't kill them quickly apparently lactic acid and toxins get into the flesh which isn't tasty, so bleeding them wouldn't be my first choice... Screwdriver straight threw the brain in my opinion is the quickest way...next question Flat head or Phillips?

-Ben

If he wanted to go "Canadian".. he'd have to use a Robertson !!!

Ah I should have known that I had it wrong. The sun, fishing with skeeter today and a beer just now threw me off. Well I tried... Use a dang knife!

Just limited out on laker in the Lake of Bays last weekend and for the first time we trying the cutting of the gills technique.

I was very surprised of how fast the fish expired after the cuts.

It seemed very quick and humane..

Just remember to let the fish bleed awhile in the net, or it could get messy

Ah I should have known that I had it wrong. The sun, fishing with skeeter today and a beer just now threw me off. Well I tried... Use a dang knife!

I don't imagine the sun or the beer had anything to do with it.... :whistling:

I don't imagine the sun or the beer had anything to do with it.... :whistling:

Correct :dunno: so next time you are near OSH airport let skeert and I know so we can join you for some fishing and get this sorted out... :oops:

Heavy hunting knife and sever the spine behind the head. Quick.

To those of you who let a fish slowly suffocate to death, I suggest you use any other method that's quicker and more humane.