OF Course I trust Big Oil (NF)

bushart

Well everyone on this planet is watching the mess that's evolving in the Gulf Of Mexico.

Sooo I'm watching recent events and apparently the same "BP" has a few rights to drill in our Arctic Ocean.

Now our current Gov't says we won't let anything bad happen---much the same words the people in the Gulf used with their rig that's less than a year old.

They want the same cost saving features (No relief well) to drill on several of our coastlines.

OK I know it cannot be stated enough that money is the root of all evil but when we keep pushing and screw this planet over bad enough---what's left.

:asshat: Oil companies--this is all about greed----we know that the tar sands reserve surpasses the Saudi fields --yet they want more.

Anyone watch "The Nature Of Things" on the Exxon Valdez--and how the town of Cordova Alaska became an overnight tragedy--affecting real people like you and I----shareholders only care about bottom lines---people just get in the way.

Opposition parties in Canada are calling for a moretorium on offshore drilling--until they can find a solution to this issue---our Gov't says we'll make sure it's ok-----feel better!!

Sorry for this rant---when money grubbin lowlifes put our home against their bonuses---I get angry.

your 100% right on this rant..This sickens me to no end.

I agree to, but unfortunately they've got us bent over. We can either allow them to drill and take what they want or we can fight them from drilling for new supplies and watch oil prices go through the roof again. Pick your poison.

Someone was telling me the other day that in Ca. they must use some kind of safety valve that would have prevented this.

Time for a little genetic engineering and create a bacteria that makes oil. I guess there already is an alga that makes oil, we could make it in our garden ponds.

Well they really would'nt know how to deal with oil and ice either in the Beaufort sea.

Watching the news this morn as they collect dead sea turtles is a sickening sight.

They want to look into offshore BC---think your salmon has trouble now---there has to be a better way.

Guest Johnny Bass

I agree to, but unfortunately they've got us bent over. We can either allow them to drill and take what they want or we can fight them from drilling for new supplies and watch oil prices go through the roof again. Pick your poison.

Prices go up either way. We own all the oil and natural gas and major electrical outputs like Niagara and prices always go up. We pay even more than the states for our own resources. As long as the demand increases, so do prices. It has nothing to do with supply.Its legalized robbery.

And these new companies like direct energy that promise cheaper rates than Toronto hydro then charge 5X the amount and then don't make it easy for you to get out of your contract, is more legalized crime.

All thanks to the privatization of our infrastructure.

Someone was telling me the other day that in Ca. they must use some kind of safety valve that would have prevented this.

That rig in the gulf had the same safety valve, it failed!!! :(

There needs to be multiple backups in order to prevent this from re-occuring and until new protocols are put in place all new drilling should be put on hold.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

big business can LITERALLY get away with murder and no heads roll. it's high time the definition of a corporation is rewritten so that those at the top of these greedy companies can actually face criminal charges. as long as there is no deterrent, there is no reasons for big oil or any other corporation to care about its actions and impacts.

The catastrophe in the Gulf is clearly disgusting and a vivid example of a corporate breach. I would say mistrust but there isn't much trust between corporations and any other entity . . . including their own shareholders or their customers.

Things like this are happening close to home as well, but they aren't as visual, and aren't as publicized. If you take a look at the fishing news thread here on OFC, Spiel posted an article about the amount of Lake Erie fish (on the American side) that are dying because they are going into the cool water intakes of an Electicity corporation. The corporates are twiddling their thumbs and nothing is getting resolved (and nothing is likely to either). I guess this is where people need to be a little more European and let their governments know exactly where they would like to draw the line.

Timmeh's outlook is right about oil prices, but I think some small inroads can be made in situations like this (like the Destruction of a Fishery thread that was burning up these boards a short time ago).

People need to start somewhere.

Corporate citizens fund the election campaigns that get politicians elected. No politician is going to cut his financial throat by making big corporations, and their executives, financially and criminally liable for all their misdeeds. Nor are they going to impose the best interests of public safety if it means loss of profit.

There is not a single federal MP with any true leadership ability. In fact Canadians are afraid of real leaders like the Churchills, Kennedys, Roosevelts, etc... All we elect are backroom puppets totally devoid of character.

Just think of how much more gas will be come HST July first...

We had a PST auditor in the office last week and he told me that HST will not affect gasoline prices.

As far as the oil spill goes, Obama said that BP will pay....but who will they pay...the government maybe, but certainly not the people affected by the mess

OK first thing - BP are finiancially responsible for every cent the cleanup costs and have to pay for all the damage incurred, that's the law and they know it - just look at what's happened to their share price.

It's very easy to slam big oil companies as you sit on a plastic chair typing on a plastic keyboard and clicking a plastic mouse to talk about which soft plastic lure you'd take out of your plastic tackle box and tie onto your nylon line perhaps sitting in your gas powered boat having driven to the water in your gas powered car or truck - there's something of an oil theme here.....

The events in the Gulf of Mexico are terrible and lets not forget 11 people died in the explosion

but the problem goes deeper than corporate greed, it's the reliance of world at large on oil and the products we get from it that is forcing drilling to take place in mile deep water, all the easy, shallow wells have been exhasuted and even though technology has advanced so we can reach the previously inaccessible supplies, it's still a risky/dangerous business. I'm not condoning corner cutting by anyone (the work was being done by TransOcean, not BP by the way) but until attitudes shift oil exploration will be a necessary evil.

I'm no better or worse than anyone else, we have two cars in our household etc. but I'm not naive enough to think I can blame oil spills on big corporates with a clear conscience.

Apologies for going on - think I'll put my flame suit on now :)

I watched the film with the CEO of then EXXon telling the people in Cordova Alaska----you will be amazed what they were going to do.(Valdez)

Actually really amazing watching EXXON run 18 years of litigation to end up paying 1/10th of the original fine.

CEO of BP sounds really familiar.

Apparently the 500 million dollars now EXXON/Mobile paid out----4 days profit margin.

People committed suicide in that town because they were left high and dry.

Highdrifter is right---no more drilling till they figure this out

We had a PST auditor in the office last week and he told me that HST will not affect gasoline prices.

As far as the oil spill goes, Obama said that BP will pay....but who will they pay...the government maybe, but certainly not the people affected by the mess

Now might be the time to read this if you think gasoline prices aren't going to be affected.

Tax Change With HST

Tom.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

OK first thing - BP are finiancially responsible for every cent the cleanup costs and have to pay for all the damage incurred, that's the law and they know it - just look at what's happened to their share price.

I've got some magic beans for sale. Want some?

Can a price tag be put on nuking the entire Gulf of Mexico? Should they also foot the bill for the destruction of a commercial fishery? What about the recreational fishery? And wildlife?

Simply paying for the cleanup doesn't seem satisfactory given the magnitude of the destruction. Realistically, BP can just go belly up and the other oil companies can take its' place.

I agree that our addiction to oil doesn't help, but we aren't responsible for the methods, just the demand.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

for example...

"The Gulf Coast's commercial fishing industry brings in about $2.4 billion a year to the region."

That's per year. If it takes 10 years to bounce back, will BP be compensating 24 billion in damages to those impacted?

Also, as it stands now, there is a cap on what BP will have to pay of 75 million dollars. US legislators are attempting to change that cap to 10 BILLION because of how bad they believe this disaster is.

Guest Johnny Bass

Corporate citizens fund the election campaigns that get politicians elected. No politician is going to cut his financial throat by making big corporations, and their executives, financially and criminally liable for all their misdeeds. Nor are they going to impose the best interests of public safety if it means loss of profit.

There is not a single federal MP with any true leadership ability. In fact Canadians are afraid of real leaders like the Churchills, Kennedys, Roosevelts, etc... All we elect are backroom puppets totally devoid of character.

Bingo!

I had no idea there was a cap - there's no cap on how much they can make so there should be no cap on what they pay if they screw up. They should have to pay whatever the cost - no argument there at all.

My point, however badly put was that the global addiction to oil IS the problem, there is nowhere else to go but deep water (or oil sands or somewhere equally undesirable), it's that or go without. If it was extracted in the safest way possible then the effects of HST on gas prices would pale into insignificance by comparison - the current financially viable methods come with certain risks and we can't have our cake and eat it.

These beans you mentioned.........:)

Gasoline/Diesel

Current Tax : 5%

Tax after change : 13%

Dara whats the name of your auditor. I'd love to tell his supervisors hes lying to people or has no idea what hes talking about. And shame on your for believe something without looking it up for yourself.

My point, however badly put was that the global addiction to oil IS the problem, there is nowhere else to go but deep water (or oil sands or somewhere equally undesirable), it's that or go without. If it was extracted in the safest way possible then the effects of HST on gas prices would pale into insignificance by comparison - the current financially viable methods come with certain risks and we can't have our cake and eat it.

These beans you mentioned.........:)

You are very wrong here. And it's not like I'm debating with you because what I say is 100% factual.

We can have our cake and eat it, but there are no regulations for corporations to have safety measures in place that CAN stop such catastrophes from happening. The corporations are aware that these secondary safety measures exist and don't want to implement it because it will hurt their bottom line. In fact, all the big oil companies have gone so far away from implementing these safety measures that they have actually set up a fund together to shelter one another from a massive oil spill. This fund will go to pay recovery costs. Kind of like insurance for oil spills. Basically, they would rather pay this premium and risk killing the environment as opposed to paying to put the technology/labour/time into adding the precautionary measures onto offshore oil rigs and preventing environmental tragedies like this one we are seeing.

Corporate greed at its finest.

You really start to wonder how much more of this the earth can actually take.

AAAH Corporate greed---where would we be with out their lust.

I recall watching a show on Discovery once---they were talking about faults within certain model airplanes.

If a said fault were to ground several companies fleets costing millions in the mix due to lost time---if there's only a chance it would fail---they factor in that paying out crash victims families is cheaper than grounding the fleet.

Must be powerful sleepin pills these guys take to get a good nights rest huh?

OH yeah---I believe it was a lock on a door---boeing 747 in this instance.

Look out for #1---cause nobody else will---especially if there's a dollar between the two of you