Shore fishing thread

416angler

Little Story to Share. When I was in my Teens I was a guide for an outfitter up north. It was a modest operation, with boats and cabins. When I first started there, the majority of the anglers from Canada and the states were more than helpful with teaching me the ropes. When I knew the bodies of water in the surrounding area, I did very well as a 13 year old guide. At times there were anglers that kept the tight lip, and did not want to reveal their "honey hole" but me being curious I would spot and stock. When New anglers came along and could not pay the outfit for a guide, I would take them aside and simply tell them to "wait for me to go out or, get up early and follow me and my party. I would then set them up for what they wanted. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT!!!!In the end it was savvy anglers that taught me the thinks I needed to know, I reciprocated what I learned. I think this thread as nice as it may have started out will eventually turn ugly. And if it does I will be seriously disappointed. I havn't been on here long but I enjoy the escape.

My shoreline is on the Grand river between Cambridge and Brantford, by the inter provincial gas pipeline

As well as Waterford.

Good luck to all who wish to fish from shore

Its hard to contribute to this thread because its a double edged sword. Usually when someone posts a specific question like, "Hey guys I'm going to lake X, first time need help" then I'll PM them if I've fished there, but to give away specific locations on an open forum (don't even have to be a member to read the post) might come back to bite you in the ass when you go fishing and its been fished out or there are a few boats exactly at that spot.

Anyhow that only my 2 cent opinion.

Now does anyone have any buried treasure locations to tell us about? Post GPS coordinates! :)

edit: 416angler, I'll Pm you about toronto islands specific spots.

Edited by Syn

Ya know, I'm a shore angler too and I understand your plight..

However, giving up shore access spots can be a touchy thing. I've learned over the years that people spiel only after a trust is established. This sort of info doesn't get handed out, it gets gradualy handed down by spending time on the water with people you're kewl with.

Do a little google searching, find some shore access spots, meet people, pay atttention. All kinds of water out there..

oh and take some pichures!

HD

Ya know, I'm a shore angler too and I understand your plight..

However, giving up shore access spots can be a touchy thing. I've learned over the years that people spiel only after a trust is established. This sort of info doesn't get handed out, it gets gradualy handed down by spending time on the water with people you're kewl with.

Do a little google searching, find some shore access spots, meet people, pay atttention. All kinds of water out there..

oh and take some pichures!

HD

Yeah, I've met a member on a board IRL and he just kept giving me all these spots, but online he was reluctant.

the best way is to go on the water...you'll meet people....that's how i started out...you'll find out stuff and some stuff would leave you scratching ypur head...like the other day i was speaking with this FISHERMAN... said he caught a few tiny ones ...seemed like a nice guy then he said he saw some big ones ...and then he giggles like a school girl and tells me he tries to snag them...

but on the positive note i've gotten the best tips from the people i met on the water...

I was wondering if people would be interested in compiling an Ontario shore fishing locations list? Feel free to list the spot and any relevant info. you would like to share. Some places are obvious but those new to angling might find it useful.

I'll start..

Toronto Islands

Ashbridge's Bay

Frenchman's Bay

Fenelon Falls

Lake Scugog - behind the grocery store

Noble intentions but as you can see by the number of smart arse replies most people here pucker up pretty tight when it comes to naming fishing spots.

I haven`t been to Canal Lake in many years but when I was a much younger man I used to go there camping regular and there was a spot too fish from shore by the first bridge and a couple of other good shore spots just past of the park, caught my biggest LM and SM from these spots.

If I gave "anyones spot"away tough!!

I think the best advice that I can give you is, start travelling.

I remember when I really stared to get back into fishing (about 3 years ago), the first thing I did was hop on the net in hopes of reports and locations that I could just drive to and catch fish. That didn't happen.

Why? The answer was easy. Angler spend countless hours tossing a line, solving the mystery of where to find the bite. This takes time, money, energy and most important, patience...

I admire your enthusiasm and your admiration to the sport, but to have these spots given up on a web page that is accessible to the world just does not make sense.

That being said, you have many options:

Keep a rod and tackle kit in your car. While you are out and about, always be on the look out for areas that you see people fishing. Don't be afraid to stop and toss a line yourself. You will be amazed how friendly people are when they see you sharing the same hobby/passion. Just don't crowd them. I remember ice fishing the the Muskokas last winter and having a guy literally stop his sled in between 4 of us and start to drill a hole. Considering we were all with 50-75 feet of each other - not cool! :lol:

And don't stop at just spots that look popular, if you see a potential honey hole along your travels, make sure it's legal to be there and try fishing it yourself.

I am very fortunate that my job keeps me on the road 95% of the time, I am always on the look out.

Finally, don't be surprised if it takes you years to build a list of great shore spots. I am the father of 2 young girls and my time has become very scarce. But any chance I get, the rod will come out of the car and I'll try.

Best of luck on your list buliding, and if you are ever in the Barrie area, walk along the waterfront. You just never know if you'll see anglers trying their luck out! ;)

under the bridge at the Narrows (between Simcoe & Couchiching) in Orillia

I made the mistake of "helping" someone I met there with some shore fishing spots, needless to say I heard through the grapevine that this guy got charged with going over his catch limit, fishing out of season etc. I learned the hard way and wish I never told him. BTW Narrows hasn't been good for a while now.