need trailer painted!!!! Help!!

landry

I have a 2007 trailer with stone chips galore and rust has started. It is not deep - just surface - so I was hoping I could sand/grind it off and prep it myself then have it sprayed by someone as a side job. i live in Cambridge. Anyone on this board do auto painting on the side or know anyone who does this. Need some connections and pricing. Thanks a ton. It is an ez loader for a 16' crestliner - not much to paint at all - a tiny fraction of a car job. Any advice too??????

Landry

tremclad spray paint.

save your money for more fishing equipment :thumbsup_anim:

besides the trailer is under the boat most of the time and no one will see it.

Skeeter has hit the nail on the head!!!!

Get some sandpaper some primer and a roll of masking tape some paint to match and you're good to go.

RFS

:canadian:

You wanna stop it from chipping as badly, after you prep and before painting coat the trailer frame with rubberized rocker guard (you can get it at CT). It adds a little elasticity under the paint and it helps to cut down on chipping.

It is used to protect the rockers and lower doors on a lot of cars.

And as a bigger bonus it's 50% off right now. :good:

Rocker Guard

I just finished sanding & painting my ATV trailer. I used a spray can product called "zero rust" which is available at a body shop supplier. The sales person told me it is a better product than Tremclad. u might want to search this product. 1 issue is, it is not availble in gloss finish - only flat. Good luck

Take this for what it's worth because I don't own a boat, but I'm thinking that the best coating for a trailer might be the same stuff that is used as a spray-in bed liner for pick-up trucks. It's about as tough as you can get.

Sell the trailer and order a galvanized one to replace it. Cost difference, of the purchase and sale, may cover a strip and paint..... and you'll never have to do it again !

Yup Wayne. A galvanized trailer was top of my list before the boat itself.

Yup Wayne. A galvanized trailer was top of my list before the boat itself.

Ditto for me. The galv trailer was a no brainer, don't look so nice at first but it'll far outlast a painted one.

If you can afford to sell I'd say upgrade.

I did my 5000lb trailer 4 years ago when I bought it. It was all rusty and looked awfull. I spent a couple evenings scraping loose scale off and a quick sand and wipe down with an old towel and I was ready tp paint.

I then bought a gallon of Tremclad paint, think it was about 40.00, and about 15,or 20 for a decent brush and gave it a coat making sure to get in all the cracks and crevices. The next day I gave it a finishing coat.

There is still no rust showing on that trailer, oh yeah I did it in recreational white (color).

I should of did the wheels too cause they look like crap now. The finished job looked okay, and I'm happy with it. I would not do my bassboat trailer that way, haha, but anything is better than rust haha cause Rust Never Sleeps, (love that song). :D