Brian Burke.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

So uhhhhhh...

Is he the best GM the Bruins have ever had?

:whistling:

I like the job he's done with the Leafs so far.

Considering what he had to work with he's done an admirable job.

Youngest team in the league now.

Some good young building blocks in Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf, Kulemin and Gustavson.

As far as the trade Burke made, there's certainly no guarantee that Boston's pick will be better than a 21 year old Phil Kessel.

The trade that really ticks me off as a Leaf fan is JFJ sending Rask to Boston for ....shudder.....Ranford.

Some good young building blocks in Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf, Kulemin and Gustavson.

As far as the trade Burke made, there's certainly no guarantee that Boston's pick will be better than a 21 year old Phil Kessel.

The trade that really ticks me off as a Leaf fan is JFJ sending Rask to Boston for ....shudder.....Ranford.

This.

I like burke. and i think he has done a great job having to fix the years for crap JFJ has created. we are or were up to this year i believe still paying for raycroft and tucker.

as for tyler and taylor does anyone remember pat faloon or yashin?

im not saying that will happen with those 2,but one never knows. and kessel is already proven to be a 30+ a year scorer

I like Burke and can't stand Wilson. (I tell anyone that will listen)

The Kessel trade was good. Proven 30 goal scorer, twice. Scoring 30 goals on this Leaf team is miraculous and considering he missed 15-20 games coming back from the injury is incredible.

The only way this trade gets any better is if the Leafs placed higher in the standings and the "B's" pick 6,7 or 8th. That's Wilson's fault :sarcasm:

Now, say what you will about Burke but keep in mind who orchestrated getting rid of seemingly untradeable players; Toskala and Blake.

To add a little bit of optimism ,at least our 3rd round pick will be good haha.

and form what ive heard,next years draft is supposedly the worst or most shallow draft in years to come,so losing that 1st round pick may not be so terrible.

also i was told that dave nonis said "we will be suprised how low the leafs will pick this year" so im going to assume some deal is in the works for a lower pick/trade this draft.

i just hope they trade kaberle for a top forward (center) and not a pick.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I like Burke too. He's a man of integrity and is well respected by players. But he didn't just surrender this years pick. They gave up their first round pick and their second round pick this year, AND their first round pick in 2011.

Once can presume now that Boston gets a player of all star caliber this season, and at a minimum 2 rosters player. Kessel better score more than 30 goals.

I assume the leafs will be a better squad this year, but they've made Boston, an already solid team WAY better. I

Burke has created a team that's more fun to watch than anything TO fans have had in a while imnsho. Both he and Wilson rip off some pretty funny interviews so that's entertaining. And I'm more impressed with the team they finished this season with than any I've seen in more than a few years.

As for draft picks I think I'd still rather have Phil than one of the unknowns. With him the coach starts with a certain 30 goal scorer and irons out the little problems. With a high draft pick you really don't know if you're getting a Stamkos or just another trader.

JF

Best point so far. Who's to say any of this years top 10 picks will score 30 or more in a season? Even more so, back to back.

name 1 Leafs draft pick from the last 10 years to have back to back 30 goal season

That's a good point.

But if you look at Burke's overall record just this year, there's no doubt that his efforts are honest and effective.

Would you ever have suggested to him that he NOT make the pre-Olympics trades that brought Phaneuf, Giguère and Sjostrom to T.O.? The only player I lament in those deals was Ian White - but then who would you rather have? White or Phaneuf??? You have to pay a price.

The trade to get Blake and Toskala out of town was awesome. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. Other than being a cap hit, it's a complete and total on-ice win for the Leafs. It's a trade I'd make every day, twice on Sunday, ten times on Monday.

The loss of two high-end draft picks - especially in view of how bad they'd be if they didn't have Kessel (so they'd be close to last in the league again next year) - hurts. But Kessel is a known commodity and can score now.

So, when you add all this up, there's no doubt that Burke is executing a plan, and a good plan. We haven't seen this many good trades in Toronto since the Gilmour trade in 92!

p.-

Kulemin and Gustavson are restricted free agents this summer and will require a raise, and Jonas earned it, so the leafs will have to pay up, which could eat up some valuable salary, and Kulemin is coming out of his rookie contract and will be asking for some more money...trading Kaberle will help, however if they want a top line player with Kessel that too will eat salary and not really put them in any better position.

Looks like I am in the minority here.

I think Burke is a HORRIBLE GM . He seems to be building a team for yesterday and not tomorrow. Size over skill.

His aquistions have been marginal at best.

Beauchemin has been exposed as a overly priced defenceman , Leaving the side of Neidermeyer has exposed his lack of skills.

The trade for Kessel I would understand if this was 3 years from now but if you are going to rebuild you keep that pick and have a chance at Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin. if you are rebuilding you do it thru the draft! But then again the Leafs have the worst scouts in the NHL so maybe he doesnt have any choice.

Trading Kaberle will be the worst thing they do, none of there present D possess puck movement skills to get the puck out of there own end.

A goaltender that has a bad heart, hence the reason he wasnt drafted.

Jeff Finger ( You paid what for whom? ) this was an actual headline on ESPN after this aquisition!!!

Phanuef hopefully works out buut his stock has fallen over the last few years as he has been showing more and more defensive liabilities. I ope playing under a bigger microscope helps and doesnt hurt his game.

Same for Giguere , his numbers have been sliding very badly over the last few years , maybe a change of scenery can reignite his game. If not you have a 33 year old goalie and one with a bad ticker....not good after you had Rask

ill give him credit for Bozak and Stalberg, some potential there, but that is over shadowed by good players th.ey have let go like Stempniak and Rask.

There only chance is to rebuild thru trades which the Maple Leafs have tried for 40 yeaars ( we seen how that works)

No draft picks , no future.

But what does it matter, winning is not important to the worst team in North American sports....just the bottom line as lemmings file thru the gate to watch Junior B hockey!

Edited by bucktail

The trade for Kessel I would understand if this was 3 years from now but if you are going to rebuild you keep that pick and have a chance at Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin. if you are rebuilding you do it thru the draft! But then again the Leafs have the worst scouts in the NHL so maybe he doesnt have any choice.

If you actually look at who we have drafted, considering the picks we have had recently, you'd be quite surprised at how well our scouts have done. How can they be expected to draft Sidney Crosby-like players when they never have a 1st-round pick? Do me a favour, actually look at their draft record in the last 5-7 years, and then get back to me.

Trading Kaberle will be the worst thing they do, none of there present D possess puck movement skills to get the puck out of there own end.

Kaberle will soon be 33 years old and isn't getting any younger. He is coming off a great season, and is making a cheap salary considering his skill level. This would be stupid not to trade him. If they don't, how much will they have to pay him after next year when he is a UFA? I'm guessing he'll want around $5.5 million a year, and a 5-6 contract, so he can end his career in Toronto...

Jeff Finger ( You paid what for whom? ) this was an actual headline on ESPN after this aquisition!!!

This move was made by Cliff Fletcher, and not Brian Burke

Same for Giguere , his numbers have been sliding very badly over the last few years , maybe a change of scenery can reignite his game. If not you have a 33 year old goalie and one with a bad ticker....not good after you had Rask

Trading for Giguere was moreso a way to dump Blake and Toskala...they don't expect him to come in a play 70 games and win them the cup.

ill give him credit for Bozak and Stalberg, some potential there, but that is over shadowed by good players th.ey have let go like Stempniak and Rask.

Rask was traded by John Ferguson Jr., and not Brian Burke.

Is this Bill Watters??????????

"If you actually look at who we have drafted, considering the picks we have had recently, you'd be quite surprised at how well our scouts have done. How can they be expected to draft Sidney Crosby-like players when they never have a 1st-round pick? Do me a favour, actually look at their draft record in the last 5-7 years, and then get back to me.

Matter of fact I did, would you like to see the list.................. some real game breakers in here!!!! LOL

First Pick 2006: Jiri Tlustly http://www.tmlfever....tHistory.htm...2 <LI>

First Pick 2007: Dale Mitchell http://www.tmlfever....tHistory.htm...3 <LI>

First Pick 2008: Luke Schenn <LI class=last>

First Pick 2009: Nazem Kadri

And this present team is going ..where??????

No draft picks coming and you finished second last in the league.

Great plan!

Edited by bucktail

You can like or dislike moves, deals and signings all you want, but you can't fairly judge a GM based on 16 months of work. This isn't the old NHL where teams could be bought in one free agent period. Time will tell.

As I was writing this I heard part of Burke's press conference on the FAN. Even if you don't like him, I think he is interesting to listen to. In regards to the Kessel deal he used an analogy of 2 framers arguing about what crop had just been planted. The gist is that arguing/debating about some subjects is pointless and that in time the answer will be apparent. The Kessel/ draft picks can't be properly evaluated until 15 or so years from now.

I think Burke is a HORRIBLE GM . He seems to be building a team for yesterday and not tomorrow. Size over skill.

Beauchemin has been exposed as a overly priced defenceman , Leaving the side of Neidermeyer has exposed his lack of skills.

Phanuef hopefully works out buut his stock has fallen over the last few years as he has been showing more and more defensive liabilities. I ope playing under a bigger microscope helps and doesnt hurt his game.

There only chance is to rebuild thru trades which the Maple Leafs have tried for 40 yeaars ( we seen how that works)

But what does it matter, winning is not important to the worst team in North American sports....just the bottom line as lemmings file thru the gate to watch Junior B hockey!

What he said. I agree. Giving away the first round pick blew up in Burke's face. Kessel is not worth the no.2 pick overall. Not what he had in mind at all.

Burke thought he was giving away a 10-16 pick this year and a 19-22 pick next year. Along with the second rounder. The leafs crapped the bed.

He did a nice job of clearing house though. I still have optimism for Burke. I like him. This Kessel deal might define him though. Kessel is what he is, don't expect him to gain tremendously, he is playing to his potential. He needs a Centre and a winger. He does not make anyone around him any better. That being said I like Kessel. I just don't like what we gave up.

I like Burke. I wll give him a B- so far. It might be less if it wasn't him

I love what Burke is doing, of course I'm a Bruins fan and will be looking forward to another high pick next year courtesy of the Leafs. Burke said today that he's not looking to change anything on the defensive end. The Leafs allowed the 2nd most goals in the league as well as had the worst PK and worst PP in the league. The last team to finish last in those two categories was also coached by Ron Wilson. The goalies he's keeping were ranked 29th and 39th in the league. It's almost as if he believes that the hopes and dreams of Leafs nation alone will improve the team. Good luck with that.

I will third this...hit the nail on the head exactly...as well with Kaberle...he may be getting old but he moves the puck like one of the best for d-men in the league...look at any successfull team on the PP...they have a puck moving dman...if they move him, fans and leaf brass will only soon be saying "we only need a puck moving dman". The guy is an offencive jugernaught on a crap team...that is one guy you KEEP! OR if you guys wish...trade him to Boston for Thomas...we'll take him!

Hockey teams and their fans are like husbands and wives. Not everyone understands what some husbands see in their wives, and vice versa, but the fact remains that we each have our own loves no matter what others think. Now if some guy said the kind of things he says in reference to my hockey team when he was talking about my wife I'd have to rip him a new anal orifice. Fortunately we're much more easy going about our hockey teams.

JF

Is this Bill Watters??????????

"If you actually look at who we have drafted, considering the picks we have had recently, you'd be quite surprised at how well our scouts have done. How can they be expected to draft Sidney Crosby-like players when they never have a 1st-round pick? Do me a favour, actually look at their draft record in the last 5-7 years, and then get back to me.

Matter of fact I did, would you like to see the list.................. some real game breakers in here!!!! LOL

First Pick 2006: Jiri Tlustly http://www.tmlfever....tHistory.htm...2 <LI>

First Pick 2007: Dale Mitchell http://www.tmlfever....tHistory.htm...3 <LI>

First Pick 2008: Luke Schenn <LI class=last>

First Pick 2009: Nazem Kadri

And this present team is going ..where??????

No draft picks coming and you finished second last in the league.

Great plan!

Do you know anything about hockey or the Leafs? Obviously not considering your original post bashing Burke contained moves that were done before he even got there.

Jiri Tlusty was a flop, fine. But how many other guys from that draft were flops? Tlusty was taken 13th overall. Out of the 17 guys taken after him in the first round, 6 have yet to play a game in the NHL...at least Tlusty has.

Dale Mitchell is only 21, for one. Secondly, he was a third round draft pick. Not many game-breakers come from the third round. Three players from the third round that year have even played in the NHL yet...and they've combined for a whopping 13 games.

Luke Schenn is only in his second season of NHL hockey, and many would consider him a solid defenseman.

Nazem Kadri has only played one NHL game. Good job judging him before he's had a chance to even make the team. :worthy:

Let's look at who they have drafted in the last little while...

The goalie you speak so highly of, Tuuka Rask, drafted by Toronto.

2007: Didn't have a 1st or a 2nd round pick, yet managed to draft defenseman Carl Gunnarsson in the 7th round, who is looking like a solid NHL player.

2006: Drafted Kulemin in the 2nd round. He looks pretty good to me. He has turned out to be, by far the best player taken in that 2nd round, besides Milan Lucic of Boston.

2005: The goalie you speak so highly of, Tuuka Rask, drafted by Toronto. Anton Stralman, a good NHL defenseman, drafted by Toronto in the 7th round, 216th overall in 2005. Only two other players taken in the 7th round that year have played in the NHL.

2004: Didn't have a first or second round pick.

2002: Matt Stajan, a player who never got much respect in Toronto, was drafted in the second round. Of those second round picks, he has played the most games, and amassed the most points, even though he was drafted late in the round. How about Ian White? He was taken in the sixth round, and he is a solid NHL defenseman.

I could go on like his. The point is: Toronto has done so "poorly" in the draft in the last 10 years because they have had a history of trading away their top picks. It is pretty hard to draft "game breakers" when you don't have picks in the top 30 or even the top 60. It's pretty easy to draft a guy like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc when they're staring you in the face. Toronto has done pretty well with the picks they have had. Ignorant people or Toronto-haters won't see that because they're content on just talking out of their behinds.

Edited by ADB

I will third this...hit the nail on the head exactly...as well with Kaberle...he may be getting old but he moves the puck like one of the best for d-men in the league...look at any successfull team on the PP...they have a puck moving dman...if they move him, fans and leaf brass will only soon be saying "we only need a puck moving dman". The guy is an offencive jugernaught on a crap team...that is one guy you KEEP! OR if you guys wish...trade him to Boston for Thomas...we'll take him!

Hockey is about buying low and selling high. Kaberle is a great player...but, I'm sorry, great defenseman don't play on teams with the worst PP in the league, no matter how "bad" the forwards are. However, he does have a lot of value right now, mostly because of his low salary. Every year that goes by his value will get lower and lower. He is the only player on the team that can bring back a good return. Signing him to an extension won't be an option considering the money he'll want, the length of the contract, and the already crowded blueline.

What he said. I agree. Giving away the first round pick blew up in Burke's face. Kessel is not worth the no.2 pick overall. Not what he had in mind at all.

Kessel is not worth the second pick overall? I will take a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer (coming off surgery and with a poor team) over the "potential" of most high draft picks...especially this year! This isn't a Crosby or Ovechkin year people...this is the worst draft year in a while, and therefore, the perfect time to take the risk of trading those picks.