Got my 4lb steelhead....Finally!!! LOL

steelhead197

I for one am glad when a boisterous claim is 'debunked' by people who know they are talking about. If he would have just posted it I am sure he would have got nothing but congrats for a beautiful steelhead. OMG its over 20LBS!!!!! More like 13.

i'd give it 13. when i finally held a 20lb salmon it was impressive to see just how big 20 lbs actually is. definitely a thick fish, but it's also held out to the cam.

That is definitly a gorgeous bow shane...good job with it.

Take a look at some of Solo's other post...you will see that the majority are from Ontario's tribs.

Dr. Sal

Do you remember that salmon on my Facebook page...with the "high Cholesterol"....that was 19lbs.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Dr. Sal

Do you remember that salmon on my Facebook page...with the "high Cholesterol"....that was 19lbs.

20 lbers are a lot bigger than most people think for sure!

have you been doing any fishing lately or are they workin ya too hard up in the wa-squared?

20 lbers are a lot bigger than most people think for sure!

have you been doing any fishing lately or are they workin ya too hard up in the wa-squared?

Working hard...next week when hockey is done...then i am going to giver....gonna work the mich over a like a..........

Going to TO this weekend to watch the Bruins dismantle the leafs!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Working hard...next week when hockey is done...then i am going to giver....gonna work the mich over a like a..........

Going to TO this weekend to watch the Bruins dismantle the leafs!

rad man. troutologist and i will be up that way this weekend. we'll work over the mich for ya too! might be the only river with water left!

Congrats on a beauty buck!

Pretty neat thread. The physiological/biological side of thing is pretty interesting (at least for me)…I’ve been interested in studying all the various strains of steelhead for quite some time. There are a number of ways of calculating fish weight. I’ve been doing some of my own research over the years on fish weight and have come up with the realization that the formulas used can be varied depending on the actual genetic strain of the steelhead measured.

For example:

The classic formula:

LxGxG/800 formula

I’ve seen used with salmon and steelhead as well as tuna, mackerel and barracuda. From what I’ve read, the 800 number was applied to take into account the length and girth associated with dead fish due to shrinkage.

Tom Keelin (An engineer and fly fisherman from BC) came up with the formula specifically for the steelhead of the Babine river in BC (which apparently are even built differently than those from neighbouring rivers like the Kispiox and Bulkley). His formula is:

LxGxG/690 with 80% accuracy.

With that said, some of the fish from the Babine river are built more like chinnies :w00t:

I met one angler at the local fly shop who fished the Dean River in B.C (Near Bella Coola) and recommended that I use this chart for my planned trip there (which never did happen :(

weightchart1.gif

One formula I remember growing up with is to take the length in inches and subtract 20 from it to get how many pounds it was for steelhead. I found it was OK for fish 22 inches and above out of the the eastern tribs and the Credit (given a deviation of +/- 1-1.5lbs).

With all said and done, you caught a fine specimen and nobody can take away the moment you had catching it. As blunt as some of the comments were, they were merely opinions and as such, arguing them (or going postal worker on them) is pointless. If you caught it out of the river I’m thinking of, I’m hoping to get one like that there later this week.

Mike

i'm thinking he got the boot for doing just that... that's what i gathered from spiel's "ADIOS" :whistling:

Nope, he said "Bye" and I reciprocated, nothing more.

If he wants to take his ball and go home because those in the know don't agree with the 20lb tag, then so be it.

It would seem that most said "nice fish" even if they disputed the 20lb claim and it is indeed a nice fish. Easy to get caught up in the excitement and over estimate it's size when it's your best ever, but as I said, those in the know, know.

No need to get upset if it's not a 20lb, it's still a solid fish and a benchmark for future efforts.

And for the record the lack of an obvious fin clip does not guarantee that it's a wild fish.

Hey Sebastian....buy a calculater....LOL You have exposed your ignorance!! I don't think you could work a scale..if you can't do simple math???

Fusion.....did you fell the need to say "no where near 20lb's" twice???

Did you fell like you were not heard the first time?? Or do you stutter???

Solo....you gotta stop fishing in your bathtub across the boarder, and try a drift in Canada!! Who cant catch fish in the states? Really?

How did I expose my ignorance? With the measurements you posted, the scale says 20 according to this super accurate calculator. With the measurements the 2nd guy posted, it would've been 28. Both very wrong. If you would've posted the fish alone it would've been nice but rookie steelheaders tend to oversize their fish drastically which is why you're being chewed up in this thread and the one on the other board. ITS A NICE FISH SO CONGRATS but put the pipe down and pick up a scale.

Solo has some great pics and fishes the states to avoid steelhead gods like yourself who have been fishing for 3 months and posting black salmon.

Please close this thread. It's honestly a waste of time to let this continue.

all this hoopla 'bout a fish that would look better on a quick strike rig. :whistling::angel:

Y'know Raf there's a largely unknown esox bite happening in the north channel at the moment.

The prey is huge numbers of pen reared escaped rainbows.

I actually have heard of guys rigging the damn things. :D

Y'know Raf there's a largely unknown esox bite happening in the north channel at the moment.

I thought Ferg only rigged brookies? :) :)

Also Mike, I didn't realize you just fished the US? lol

Edited by BillM

Guest steel'n'esox

Regardless of the fishes weight, its a big fish, and it was released, and fortunately did not have to hang on a scale, for an accurate weight, most certainly killing the fish, congradulations on your big steelhead

Regardless of the fishes weight, its a big fish, and it was released, and fortunately did not have to hang on a scale, for an accurate weight, most certainly killing the fish, congradulations on your big steelhead

This is what I was thinking, but was not sure. Are trout/salmon species Gills not VERY soft? I'm not C&R activist but I do release fish and I try not to gill a trout/salmon or hang them on a thin chunk of wire by those gills...

One more reason to Walleye fish :tease:

Hey Sebastian....buy a calculater....LOL You have exposed your ignorance!! I don't think you could work a scale..if you can't do simple math???

Fusion.....did you fell the need to say "no where near 20lb's" twice???

Did you fell like you were not heard the first time?? Or do you stutter???

Solo....you gotta stop fishing in your bathtub across the boarder, and try a drift in Canada!! Who cant catch fish in the states? Really?

To the fella who posted the pic of the montster steelhead.....WOW thanks for sharing that pic. That is a fantastic specimen!!

BYE!!

without even reading any replies I'm guessing "Shaynebow" just shot himself in the foot!!! Pick your battles bud....you will NOT win this one!

Dang, I fished the ones around Parry Sound for an afternoon but I didn't know they already had pens in the North Channel.

There has to be a little bit of everything in on that smorgasbord!