Great Couple Days Of Steelheading

solopaddler

I've been super busy the last few days and havn't had a chance to sit down and properly compose a report.

Don't actually have the time now, but work is slow at the moment so... ;)

In any case Bill and myself headed Stateside recently for a couple days of fishing.

The primary purpose of the trip was to meet up with my reel making buddy Adam in Ohio.

Earlier this month I placed a massive order with Bass Pro and Cabelas and had it shipped to his house. In addition the custom centrepin I've been waiting for was supposed to be ready and placed into my hands when we met.

On the upside it was Christmas when Adam finally did show up with all my loot. :D

On the downside my reel wasn't ready yet as he had problems with the anodizer.. :(

That was a bit of a bummer, but not a huge deal. Good things come to those that wait.

The important part, the fishing, was spectacular.

We caught numerous fish most of which were bright chrome and full of fight.

We did catch our share of scruffy beat up holdovers as well as you'll see.

We fished our way through 2 states, PA and OH, and had success everywhere we went.

Amazingly crowds were very light:

March19-202010002.jpg

March19-202010009.jpg

March19-202010011.jpg

oc13.jpg

oc14.jpg

Bill caught this enormous coloured up buck that he said was his biggest steelhead to date. Congrat's buddy!

March19-202010006.jpg

Adam got in on the action as well. Here he is battling a fish then subduing it:

March19-202010023.jpg

March19-202010024.jpg

March19-202010025.jpg

Thankfully we didn't catch too many of these old warriors:

March19-202010014.jpg

March19-202010008.jpg

As mentioned most of the fish were pure chrome. Check this beaty out. Bill took this shot with his camera and man does it ever take nice pictures!

I'm tempted to get one myself the quality is so high..

Ohiochrome.jpg

There was plenty more where that came from as well as a number of fish with a hint of colour.

All were incredibly strong and acrobatic:

March19-202010004.jpg

March19-202010019.jpg

March19-202010021.jpg

March19-202010015.jpg

March19-202010022.jpg

March19-202010026.jpg

March19-202010027.jpg

oc11.jpg

oc12.jpg

oc15.jpg

oc16.jpg

oc18.jpg

oc2.jpg

oc20.jpg

oc6.jpg

Check out this pool. Is that not some sweet looking water?

This particular location was good to me. :)

March19-202010017.jpg

The water was pretty much clear with just a hint of colour.

Early morning and again in the evening roe tied in brighter colours caught the eager aggressive fish.

As the day wore on switching to subtle jigs in black and brown elicited many strikes.

Water clarity dictated lighter fluoro tippets in the 4-5lb range and small hooks.

Truth be told it was one of those trips when the fishing was so good that almost anything worked. It's fun to experiment under those conditions which I did and fish were caught on a whole range of baits. Besides the afforementioned roe and jigs, small plastic worms in orange and pink, single eggs and a variety of flies all produced.

Once again a truly fantastic trip!

One happy consequence of Adam not having my reel ready is I guess I'll have to head back down in the near future. :)

At the moment I'm gearing up for my annual spring trip to Michigan.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and couldn't be more stoked.

What's making the upcoming trip even more special my dad is joining me.

Amazingly enough my father has never caught a steelhead in his life.

I'm looking forward to taking care of that problem starting tomorrow. :D

Cheers, Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey man if you're down this way drop me a pm and let's fish together.

you betcha! i'll be in brockport and pulaski for the second half of april. let me know if your steelheading adventures take you that way!

lets try and get out on the water next week if possible.

For sure

you betcha! i'll be in brockport and pulaski for the second half of april. let me know if your steelheading adventures take you that way!

Won't be out that way for sure unfortunately.

The fishing for dropbacks is amazing on the Salmon river that time of year though.

Bonus is not as many people around.

You can have success on your own but if I were you I'd book at least one driftboat trip.

You won't regret it if you do.

The boat allows you to cover miles of water that's basically inaccessable to the walk and wade fisherman.

Always a great time Mike, and the weather was absolutely perfect!

Can't wait for your Michigan report, I hope you and the oldman have a good time.

Can't wait for our other stateside adventure once the water clears up :) :)

Great report, are there any runs on the north shore of Lake Erie?

Thanks for sharing,

Dan

There sure are. Unlike the south shore our runs of fish are predominantly wild.

The smaller north shore Erie trib's are extremely vulnerable to overharvest though and the runs are fragile because of it.

The one river that's safe to talk about is the Grand.

It has a burdgeoning run of mostly wild fish and is at this point ignored by many anglers.

Most of the best water doesn't open 'till the April trout opener and even then you'll have to do your homework.

Much of the Grand can be hard to read and fish effectively.

Once you put your time in and figure things out you'd likely have some excellent steelheading all to yourself though.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Won't be out that way for sure unfortunately.

The fishing for dropbacks is amazing on the Salmon river that time of year though.

Bonus is not as many people around.

You can have success on your own but if I were you I'd book at least one driftboat trip.

You won't regret it if you do.

The boat allows you to cover miles of water that's basically inaccessable to the walk and wade fisherman.

I tried to line up a half day last year but with my ever revolving work schedule I found it tough to commit. My work is as dependent on flow as steelheading! Thankfully we stay on the edge of pulaski and have 5 or 6 accessible runs on foot right from the motel. I'm hoping to get a spare day this year to hook up with a guide for a day! Good luck in Michigan... is this for the Manistee? Can't wait for the report.