Sportsman Show Deals

motion

So I went down to the Sportsman show yesterday with my son. I like the new digs. Lots of great seminars and some good deals if you look for them.

I was after a new rod and reel combo and lucked into a great deal for the new Shimano Stradic 2500 CI4F Spinning Reel. After talking to the Shimano guys, I found that Lebarons had the reel on sale for $190.00 + tax. That was a super deal compared to $240.00 + tax at a few other booths.

I matched it up with a Cumara 6'8" MH Fast Action rod. I found it at Natural Sport for $200.00 taxes in!

I cant wait to try it out on opening day for bass. Come on June.......................

So, any other deals out there?????

I went over Wed to see how the new place looked. WOW much brighter, I think there were a few less tackle sellers but it could have been just due to the size.

The Canadian Forces both was THE BEST!! how often do you get to see a Mark 46 torpeedo !! and a sniper rifle at the same time.

I have been in the market for a new fish finder, picked up the HD7 + Gold maps for 1350 after taxes from Radio World.. sorry BassPro you need to update your prices in-line with the CDN $$$

Radio world had the best price that I could find anywhere. Cheaper than even the Online cost.

Also met fellow OFNER Henry Nguyen at the Legend boats.. man after showing me the new models I think I have to start saving my pennies for an upgrade. Don't you hate sales people that show you want you want to see@!!

I matched it up with a Cumara 6'8" MH Fast Action rod. I found it at Natural Sport for $200.00 taxes in!

So, any other deals out there?????

Picked up the same rod during the spring fishing show from natural sport for the same price as well. Killer score!!!

The Canadian Forces both was THE BEST!! how often do you get to see a Mark 46 torpeedo !! and a sniper rifle at the same time.

Yep, that's why I stopped going to the sportsmens show long ago.

I was paying my money for the fishing, hunting, boating, camping and retriever trials and when the show started to become more about stuff that had to nothing with that (like sham wow salesmen, sunglasses, sausages etc.) I bailed and haven't been in over 15 years!!!

What the heck do weapons of war have to do with fishing, hunting and outdoor sports!!! I don't think they are permitted for use during the deer or moose seasons. :rolleyes:

Got three Northland Puppet Minnows for $10.00 and three Storm Deep Jr Thundersticks for $12.00

I'm ok with that.

Yes the show has changed, we avoided the supersales area with the rapid spiels.

David aka Superdad

Maybe it's just me, but most of the fishing tackle I looked at was pretty much the same price [or even more] as in the store. The exception being the no tax sales at some of the stores, but for me the prices were still close with the Le Baron discount card. Perhaps I just need to barter more or go on the last day of the show.

I think there are probably better deals for those who cannot easily get access to the local stores.

Still, I do enjoy looking through all the vendors wares, especially at stores I don't normally get to go to.

I did grab some flies from Reelflies to play around with in the summer for some pike and hopefully whitefish. Nice guy and good prices. Also picked up some spinner baits from Grimsby Tackle (I think?). I always seem to buy spinner baits at these type of events, it's like a rite of passage lol. I was close to buying a nice pike spinner from MacKinnon Tackle, they make the glass jigs/spinners. Pretty neat, but ended up buying flies instead.

Oh, I also grabbed some summer sausage from Carmichaels. THE BEST sausage I ever had, I actually spent a while looking for the shop (couldn't recall the name, but I bought some at the Feb show) and gave up, but stumbled across the booth later on anyhow.

I probably would have bought more tackle, but I recently stocked up at the BPS sale. I am very fond of Storm Hot'n'Tots and Thinfins and they were $3 a piece. I picked up more than I will ever use to add to the huge collection that I already had.

I was really hoping for a good price on Reef Runners (like $5 each), but nope. I also looked for some Paddle tail plastic shad but never really found what I was looking for (ended up going to the Le Baron store and bought some).

Edited by adempsey

What the heck do weapons of war have to do with fishing, hunting and outdoor sports!!! I don't think they are permitted for use during the deer or moose seasons. :rolleyes:

The Wedding and Baby show was full :dunno: If not at the Outdoor show where else. Don't think the public gets to attend the Military weapons show.. :lol: but it would be cool to look at.

ALL the "shows" are just places for people to try and sell you stuff.. I figured I saved more than the $15 entrace fee on what I bought + got to see boats, ATV's etc.

These shows are just a place to pass the time and dream of spring.

I haven't been to this show in many years - but went yesterday. The only negative I,ve got to add is the distance between the "north building and the south building". Other than that I thought the venue was good and there was a good mix of everything hunting and fishing with the odd spattering of " general interest " crap, and some scantily clad young ladies shamelessly promoting their goods. I wasn't there specifically for anything but did pick up some plastics like a few people above have pointed out. I did get a chance to meet Mr. Fish himself - Bob Iszumi and got an autographed picture for my son (he's 25). But the best deal I got was the advise to take the subway from Yorkdale mall - only cost my wife and I $10 in total for the round trip - and saved me about 325 cuss words by not having to drive down town and try and park. And I was only 10 minutes from BPS - and I picked up some Storm baits there ($3 each) and some plastics I found on sale there also.

All in all a good day. I enjoyed the show - probably won't need to go again for another year or two - but I would go back again.

[ But the best deal I got was the advise to take the subway from Yorkdale mall - only cost my wife and I $10 in total for the round trip - and saved me about 325 cuss words by not having to drive down town and try and park.

Thanks for the heads up Rob.... I'll finally get that Sham Wow I've always wanted by saving the parking money..Seriously though,as a day of entertainment in anticipation of a new season it's a small price to pay.Takes me back to when I was a youngster and Dad used to take us to see many of the same things.I look forward to it every year.

I haven't been to this show in many years - but went yesterday. The only negative I,ve got to add is the distance between the "north building and the south building". Other than that I thought the venue was good and there was a good mix of everything hunting and fishing with the odd spattering of " general interest " crap, and some scantily clad young ladies shamelessly promoting their goods. I wasn't there specifically for anything but did pick up some plastics like a few people above have pointed out. I did get a chance to meet Mr. Fish himself - Bob Iszumi and got an autographed picture for my son (he's 25). But the best deal I got was the advise to take the subway from Yorkdale mall - only cost my wife and I $10 in total for the round trip - and saved me about 325 cuss words by not having to drive down town and try and park. And I was only 10 minutes from BPS - and I picked up some Storm baits there ($3 each) and some plastics I found on sale there also.

All in all a good day. I enjoyed the show - probably won't need to go again for another year or two - but I would go back again.

Hi Rob

I was thinking of doing the same thing, only trying the dowwsview stop a couple north of Yorkdale. I remember parking at Yorkdale to go to a hockey game downtown; the mall was nuts, so I think I will try downsview..

cheers

What? You don't think iot would be cool to drop your moose with a 50 caliber sniper gun from a mile away?? :P

JF

Guest Johnny Bass
1 adult = $17.00

1 junior= $11.00

parking $20.00

well I saved myself $48.00 by not going :thumbsup_anim:

Are you for real???? I think I will just go see Mercer at BPS!

Unless I take the subway and go after 5pm for the $5 dollar deal?

Edited by Johnny Bass

My dad and I hit up the Sportsman show from 5-8pm. Not very many deals beyond the buy 3 lures for $10. I left with a single pack of Berkley soft plastic minnows that the guy at Natural Sports recommended I try for Niagara steelhead - Not on sale. The tips he gave me on fishing the Niagara however was worth the $5 price of admission. Also got some great tips on steelheading in BC from the guy at Langara booth should I ever decide to drop $7000 on a trip of a lifetime :D – I think his name was Bob.

Fondled the newer River Run float reel (The black one), a bunch of Kingpins and a ported AngSpec at Natural Sports. None of Randy’s custom float rods to fondle this time :(

Probably not the best place to go to for great deals. Definitely hitting up LeBarons tomorrow for tackle I couldn't find at the show.

Went up with a bud shopping for an outboard but the four of us didn't buy much. Had a nice lunch at the sports bar across the road, stopped in at Princess Auto at Whitby. Had some great entertainment on the way home as a guy blocked the left lane on the 401 for 60 miles, when they went to pass on the right and noticed it was an unmarked cop they slam on the brakes and bunched up behind it.

Did the Yorkdale TTC thing and was very glad I did. Traffic didn't look pretty down there. $10 day pass for 2 adults, not bad at all and so peaceful we ended up back north of the 401 on the yonge line just chatting. Not like I remember it when I used to commute to work shoulder to shoulder, basically had empty seats around us the entire ride on the subway, good deal.

Saw the entrance fee and nearly threw up in my mouth a little. $17?! After touring the insides I really really felt like I woulda been walking bowlegged if I had paid that. Sorry, but simply outrageous to charge a working family that for the "privilege" of going inside and buying stuff. Because it's not like there are some attractions or much to do. They should let us in free and hand each of us a $5 show only coupon at the door as an incentive to go spend and enter with a more positive mood and perhaps generate a buying frenzy. Instead I made sure I didn't spend a nickel in there.

Building is clean and spacious, but maybe too much so to the point where it feels sorta sterile.

Anyways, I guess I can cross another off the bucket list as the sportsmans show at the convention centre is not something I ever need to do again.

I'd counsel anyone weighing the options to consider Bass Pro instead for the free entry, better speakers, better atmosphere and just simply more to do for the family when you factor in Vaughan Mills mall.

Le Baron's has a $2 off coupon if you are able to hit there before you go to the show.

The one thing that makes me feel a little bit better about the entrance fee is that the show donated some booths to various organizations. Don't recall which ones or how many, but at least it makes me feel like my money actually contributed to something other than lining someones pocket. Hopefully my assumption is right.

1 adult = $17.00

1 junior= $11.00

parking $20.00

well I saved myself $48.00 by not going :thumbsup_anim:

I hope you and your $48 are very happy together. I spent $30 yesterday for my wife and son and I to hit golf balls into a field. Dig what I'm saying? Saint Peter isn't giving better spots to those with the first dollar they ever made.

I had a good day of walking about looking at things.

Jim

Saint Peter isn't giving better spots to those with the first dollar they ever made.

The first dollar I ever made is worth a few bucks today. It features the likeness of Princess Patricia, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught and patron of the famous Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

Old Pete could probably get me my own private loge for that.