$10,000 and a tiller

brkygetr

Ok I have searched, searched, talked and called enough. If you had to put a new tiller on your 17.5' Crestliner Fishhawk what would it be?

I am really leaning towards a Suzuki or a Yammy 4...but the Etec is also calling to me (and the dealer is local). Do I flip a coin or what? Not really a Merc guy but have never owned one either.

And I am talking 75-90 hp, preferably on the high end.

Any help folks?

Dale

Evinrude man.... Evinrude man.

G..you have a same class motor???? reason I ask is I hear a-lot about the higher hp motors but little about the lower hp Etec's. (mayhaps thats cause no one has any problems with them????)

Read, Variable trolling System.

Yeah i got a buddy that has a 50 with the same system and I fished with him last fall and it rocked.... I loved the tiller control...trim/tilt and troll down at the flick of a hand...we could troll at .9 mph..it is a consideration for sure.

I ran a 90 HP Merc 4 str. for 8 years on a Crestliner and it was absolutely flawless without even 1 single issue.

Last year I got a new boat with a 150 Yamaha 4 str. and after being on the water nearly every day of the season, with many miles on her, that motor was also flawless and I have no doubt that trend will continue for many years.

Just my opinion, but I think the entire crop of current motors are good, including both the E-Tech and Suzuki your also considering.

Yamaha without a doubt.

Read, Variable trolling System.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/produc...up=O#contentTop

I hit a button on my 60 and it changes the rpm's in 50 rpm increments up or down. Great for adjusting and getting back to the right trolling speed.

I second it I have the same motor 60hp tiller with variable trolling button.

Oh my buddy has the 60hp Mercury its a 2006 last season in 2009 he had to change a coil already.My dealer sells Yamaha,Honda,Suzuki and now Mercury

he says he has changed several coils on Mercury motors so far.

I had a Suzuki motor in the past yes they have a good reputation but if you need parts in a hurry forget it often back order from Japan.

I hit my prop one summer needed a new prop shaft it was back order from Japan for over 3 weeks I was boatless for my vacation.

BTW Yamaha sells the most outboard motors world wide!!!!

Edited by Mike the Pike

Bay City Marine in Hamilton, Doug and Clarence Nagtegal.

That's where I got mine. 2006 Lund with a 4 stroke 75 Mec tiller.

Can't offer any personal opinions on the other brands as I've not used them, but thus far my Merc has been an absolute pleasure to own.

I've dealt with Paris Marine north of Peterboro for 20 odd years and have always had good service from them, and I bought my new rig from Hastings Marine in Hastings and so far they been good too.