the walmartness that is basspro

MuskyGreenHorn

So like I thought. CT's company pockets, first class hotel and airfare for our MP's and govt. officials and minimum wage for everyone else.

Not sure how you put that together... but I can tell you that having that outlook won't get you far in life! If you're in a minimum wage job, don't blame the situation on the employer.

I should also note.. that the wife's god father started with little if nothing in his pocket but the dream to buy into a store (on borrowed money) and never lost sight of the dream...

He is also the person I learned " the harder I work.. the luckier I get" from ! ... as he is so sick and tired of people stating how lucky he is to have what he does.

Edited by irishfield

Not sure how you put that together... but I can tell you that having that outlook won't get you far in life! If you're in a minimum wage job, don't blame the situation on the employer.

I should also note.. that the wife's god father started with little if nothing in his pocket but the dream to buy into a store (on borrowed money) and never lost sight of the dream...

Im not in a minimum wage job and I don't blame the company for it's employee's being stuck in one. I'm just trying to put together how you figure Canadian Tire is such a wonderful place to spend money. But I suppose it's not like there is any other stores in North America offering dirt cheap rods/reels, automotive parts and accessories, etc, etc. It's all produced offshore and that's what I stated was my problem with big block companies in the first place...that and crushing small businesses.

Trust me Albert.. If I can get that down and take it home.. it would be airworthy within a year ! It's a waste of aluminum hanging up there...

Oh I agree! My brother in law used to fly one in Timmins. Fire watch when he was just starting out. He is now 300 hours from being captain of a Lear. All of his prior hours are an a single engine. And that is fece's loads of hours in very adverse conditions.

Not sure what you like about Expensive Mountain.......errrrr Gander Mountain....I went there today to kill time until the ice melts.....it didn't work.....but anyway this store is a JOKE....they don't even have ONE CASH REGISTER open....you have to go to the customer service desk to cash out and it's been like that EVERY time I go there...not many employees working there.....it's just a matter of time until this place closes for good...sooner than later if BPS ever builds the store in downtown Buffalo like they have promised for over 5 years. But for the first time in over 3 years I did buy something there........2 packages of tinsel jig for crappie fishing...cost 4 jigs $6.50.

Bob

I sure hope they don't close/although a BPS on the waterfront would be great. They open early for people to get a NY license which is usually the primary reason I end up there, but I've bought a hoodie, rain jacket, mitts, gloves (you get the idea - underprepared for cold/wet weather) and always found it a bargain and the quality very high. Fishing gear wise, I'm usually pretty well stocked already but have never left empty handed.

Never had the cashier problem you speak about, but I'm a very occasional visitor.

The Walmart in Dunkirk is usually license plan B.

Bass pro sucks.. Anything i have ever tried to get on sale is always sold out 20 minutes after opening the first day of the sale. Also I make the 1 hour drive to get shotgun and rifle ammo and , nope we dont carry what you want ... blah blah .. I just like going to see the mounts and the fish tank and the chicks walking around that wander in from the mall.

Bass pro sucks.. Anything i have ever tried to get on sale is always sold out 20 minutes after opening the first day of the sale. Also I make the 1 hour drive to get shotgun and rifle ammo and , nope we dont carry what you want ... blah blah .. I just like going to see the mounts and the fish tank and the chicks walking around that wander in from the mall.

I've also been told they're quite anti-handgun and things of that sort Lebaron as well. Maybe not a big deal to some of you, but it is to me.

come'on Cudz.. there's two in Barrie alone.. + Midland.. + Orillia that even abandoned their edifice.. to build a new one across the road....

They don't let you out much do they?? :D

Nope, Just weekends

616 at last count !! lol

I would have guessed 6 Dollaramas in Canada. I am glad I didn't guess and embarrass myself.

At least I know when I shop at Canadian Tire Archie.. that my part of the profit, from their 7.5 BILLION dollars in sales per year, is staying in Canada ! Billes daughter is still in control of what he started way back when, 1925, as Hamilton Tire in downtown TO..

..good to keep your own share values in check as well.. B)

Billes. Funny. I used to work at CTC in Barrie when it was the 2 story store in Bayfield mall. I worked in the fishing department. I was good back in the day. Anyway, each summer the Billes kid came to work at our store in the paint dept. He was maybe a year or 2 older than me but he drove a jag to work and then mixed paint all day. Too funny. I think they have a "cottage" on KBay.

That kid was very hmmm, how do I say this, different.

I agree that fishing stuff with bass pro name on it usually sub-par when compared to the product it intends to copy/mimic. They fishing section actual has a pretty pathetic selection, since half of it flooded with stuff with their own name on it.

Have you used many XPS badged baits?

I usually steer clear of the knock offs but the last few seasons I've been a big fan of their XPS minnows, best bargain in stickbaits going. Their quality kicks Rapala in the slats, at almost half price.

Then again if non-fishing relatives didn't give me gift certificates as presents I probably wouldn't go in there much, Le Baron's has better non-sale pricing and smaller specialty places have better selection on specific items (trout fishing, Angling Outfitter's; trolling gear, Grimsby Tackle or Shortwave; Pete's & Bronte Tackle have a little bit of everything).

I agree that fishing stuff with bass pro name on it usually sub-par when compared to the product it intends to copy/mimic. They fishing section actual has a pretty pathetic selection, since half of it flooded with stuff with their own name on it.

Although this may be true with Bass Pro it's the COMPLETE opposite with Cabela's...I will look for their name on many products I have bought like their wader, hiking shoes, on-board battery charger, 4 in 1 hunting parka, bib overalls, the list goes on and on. They have stood behind these products when I did have a problem....like the battery charger that was 4.5 years old and 2.5 years out of warranty.....it stopped working so I called them to find out who made it so I could contact the company and see if there was anything I could do about it myself....they said "That has our name on it" send it back to us so we can evaluated it.....I spent $14 sending it back and they sent me the new updated one for FREE (my favorite 4 letter word) that cost $139......now would ANY LOCAL dealer do that for you ? ? ?

BTW MOST of our local sporting shops here have pulled stakes and we don't have a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabela's here.....we do have a Expensive Mountain but it doesn't draw dick......the place is EMPTY every time I go there.

Bob

Walmart, BassPro, Cabela's, Cambodian Tire, etc are everything that is wrong with this world and one day it will put us all in the poor house. Soon everything will be built oversea's and we will all be crying that there's no jobs when in fact it was our own personal greed that drove everything to be built off shore.

I hate to tell you but the Local "Joe's Bait and Tackle Shop" also get's it inventory from China....can't get away from that.

Let me see if I have this strait.

Alot of people are willing to drive out of their way to go to BPS.

Pay a higher price and sometime get a cheaper quality product.

Send the profits back to the U.S.

Then drive to LBs or JBs which is more orientated to the Ontario fisherman.

Just to look at alot of stuff they are never going to use.

I can order stuff from the Cabs Or Bps in the states ,get it delivered to my door.

For cheaper or the same price that a Canadian bps is going to sell it to me.

With out leaving the comfort of my Home. :wallbash:

Esp: I'm in the market to buy Hydrostatic live vest.

On sale bps 275. LBs regular price,260.

Have you used many XPS badged baits?

I usually steer clear of the knock offs but the last few seasons I've been a big fan of their XPS minnows, best bargain in stickbaits going. Their quality kicks Rapala in the slats, at almost half price.

Then again if non-fishing relatives didn't give me gift certificates as presents I probably wouldn't go in there much, Le Baron's has better non-sale pricing and smaller specialty places have better selection on specific items (trout fishing, Angling Outfitter's; trolling gear, Grimsby Tackle or Shortwave; Pete's & Bronte Tackle have a little bit of everything).

I diddo that 100%, the prices are good indeed on non sale items and most of the ones you listed.And the sale items are at a competitive sale prices at most places I go to.As for lebarons, its worth the drive always.Grimsby has good deals on rod and reel combo sales and many other items.Petes well its also worth the drive out,they have prices on some items that cant be beat that I use often.Fishing world as well I pick up certain items.I also need to go to caledonia Bait and tackle(steve your a good man).I go there to support steve and I do have a promise that I kept with the Stars from way back when,when they owned it. And lastly my favorite little shop with 2 young bros working their hearts out to make everyone feel welcome is Bills Bait and tackle in the Hammer(keep up the good work Tim and Greg).Fishmasters as well, thank you for your good service, steve(Ill be back to launch very soon).

As for BPS, I support the locals!They will come close/ match or beat your prices.The service is below par at BPS.I called and asked the night before.I drove up there the next morning hoping for a price match and 10% disc if I purchased from them, as I was told.I brought a 2006 catalogue from lebarons with me and it was nov2005.I showed them the next years prices for comparison.Guess what the clowns told me :angry::angry: The prices are out of date and its last years prices :blink: HUH! I told lebarons and another outfit about it.$4000 later,BPS didnt see a dime of it, and I received much more than a 10% less than advertised.

I will spend my dough on the locals any day of the week.

Just my rant, and I needed to get it out of me.

Cheers

I won't criticize Basspro for developing a model, working hard, and being successful. I distinguish between them and a Walmart, (or Eatons, who when they expanded into the west put lots of competition out of business).

I bet the Morris family are as good people as you could meet. That said, I still shop at Lebaron's and my local marina.

BPS happens to be well-located for when I'm heading north, and I think they've helped fishing grow.

Service to me is about inventory, and if BPS doesn't have something, I'll spend that much more money at their competitors', just to reward them for it.

That's how it works for me.

And my kids like going there on a rainy day, btw.

Chris

Let me see if I have this strait.

Alot of people are willing to drive out of their way to go to BPS.

Pay a higher price and sometime get a cheaper quality product.

Yes, BPS is out of "my" way so that is the BIGGEST reason I don't go there. But I do when I head east to my son's house......other than that, I do ORDER A LOT from CABELA'S online and I really don't know where you think I pay more for a cheaper product....is the same Daiwa reel better from your Mom & Pop bait and tackle than from BPS or Cabela's ? ? ?

Guest steel'n'esox
I have to disagree with a few things... firstly, Bass Pro employs more Canadians in that store than all of the other tackle stores in Ontario combined...

They also donate more money to local conservation efforts (Yes, LOCAL) than any other store in Canada and have been doing so since their start.

Regarding other stores... this one is a real kicker... Bass Pro has also made the other stores, like Lew said, who are willing to advance with the times, better... why? Because BPS has brought more new people into fishing that have never picked up a rod or haven't gone in years with their "walartness" store that acts as an attraction. a day with the kids or better yet and pass through to the mall. All the eye candy you see get's people interested and creates new anglers. Most of the stores that are still standing are actually doing better.. the internet has hurt more store owners than BPS ever will in it's lifetime!

Yes, other stores are cheaper on some items and that's also great news for the smaller guy. BPS has not come to Canada and flexed their muscles and used their buying power to destroy the market... they have 100 times if not 1000 times the overhead than a 2000 sq ft store has, 100 times the employees, marketing and donations... so they charge accordingly.

Keeping it local is a pretty sad excuse to use for not visiting BPS... just about 98% of the lures in every tackle store are made elsewhere, not by the local store owners, so who are you really supporting? China? The USA? Who cares! We all need tackle, reels and rods and whoever has the best deal gets the business.. but the repeated kicking at bigger companies on here without qualifying your reasons really gets old quick.

BTW... seminars are free, parking is free, charity BBQ for Mercer's Casting for a Cure Cancer fundraiser and other BBQ's to support local conservation efforts, 40,000 reels donated through the reel trade in program to kids fishing organizations and the fact that the reel prices during the trade in are well below their cost, yup! They're really hurting Ontario! :huh:

Sorry for the rant

JP

JP said it perfectly he must has rehersed that one a few times better than Obamas inaugural speech, one thing I will add is BPS has something for the hole family, and your wife and kids arnt asking how long your going to be when you have only been in the store 10 minutes which for me is a big plus plus