the walmartness that is basspro

MuskyGreenHorn

This whole thing with dissing the big box shops generally originates from a group of concerns totally unrelated to the specific businesses being criticized. As the local grocery, hardware, appliance and clothing retailers gradually morphed into consolidated outlets, often with foreign ownership, their size enabled, even dictated, that the outlet be relocated to the periphery of the urban development for parking, access and cost reasons. This caused problems for the municipal core areas which were losing viability and even becoming ghost towns. Look back at Chatham's core a few years back. This meant there had to be a new effort to attract and retain viable enterprises in these core areas. A standard part of the battle was slagging the box shops with Walmart being the classic model. Municipal governments were pressured into using the Planning Act provisions and zoning regs to deter the urban decay/sprawl.

As has already been hinted at here by a few logical thinkers many small retailers simply didn't have the ability or inclination to change with the times, to strive to keep their clients' loyalty by improving or at least updating their business model (product, prices, business hours, etc). Some fought back with better personal service when they couldn't compete with the box shop prices. Unfortunately for many of them the internet and the manufacturer/distributors have no sympathy and have in many cases abused the local retailer's quality service and willingness to display the goods for sizing etc as an easy way for their bargain hunters to try sizes etc before they buy online. And that doesn't even begin to address the problem for the local retailer who is expected to handle all the warranty support for product bought online or from a department store which has no facility for service support (one of the reasons the box shop can sell for less).

The fact is we all love the idea of parking at the door and having lots of product selection to paw thru. To me Bass Pro or Cabela's is like a day at Disney World. And if I happen to see something that's too good to resist, naturally I'm gonna buy there. I commiserate with the local retailers but after watching my family agonize over whether or not to continue a successful children's clothing retail enterprise as the new business models nibbled away at our customer base I think we did the right thing in surrendering to the changing times and getting out of the business.

I guess what I'm saying is that the smalltown retailer may be doomed unless he's willing to change a bit. One way is to band together with similar businesses to have better purchasing power and clout with the distributor/manufacturers. Often the product cost to the low volume local guy is equal to or higher than the retail price offered by the box shop. The other is to offer the personal touch like Jos and his associates. That means though that they still have to maintain good inventory and competitive pricing but they seem to be holding up just fine.

Hey, I'm a big fan of the local retailer surviving. I love to wander into the local Fishing Store when I have a few minutes, to ask questions and occasionally to pick up a piece of gear to go along with the advice. In fact I buy most of my gear there but once in a while I'll spot a bargain like the $99.95 Calcutta that I found in one of my box shop perambulations in Ohio. Byron showed me his dealer price list on that reel and even offered to buy it from me at a $50 profit.

I really want to keep him and his store here in Stratford. I like to have a place to go locally when I need stuff or advice. I'll support him to the best of my ability but I doubt any amount of complaining or wishing it were so will make the box shops go away. They're here to stay and as JP says they're probably doing us a favour by making our local guys be the best they can be. Hopefully, for their sake and our own, it'll be enuf.

One last thought. The next time you go into your local retailer to see how a product feels in your hand or to try it on for sizing before you order online to save a few bucks ask yourself what it will be like when you've driven all the local stores out of business and you have to guess at sizing or just trust to luck that an online product will be what it's represented to be. Would it have been worth a few extra bucks to have bought locally to keep that local guy in business? Sadly, some of you will never get that concept.

JF

Edited by JohnF

the key to it is you have to shop around......

like i posted before,

the boating kit that you need to have,

( the orange pail with the rope,whistle,flashlight......)

is $24.99 at bps

ctc is $9.99

and walmart is $8.96

when i brought it to bps attention i was told that they do not set the price, head office does that.

the lady who said she was the fishing dept supervisor said she would let head office know.

that was 3 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the price is still the same at bps :dunno:

the store is awesome. great place to spend a day wondering around. lots to look at. not really much in the lines of great deals. but some to be had if u keep ur eyes open. the spring classic is great, lots of deal, and the reel trade in is a wicked idea. the low stock they carry on lots of sale items is a pain though. they dont carry some products that they should.

and one prime example is, quantum rods. they carry the reels, but they dont carry any quantum rods. which is kinda stupid.

now, for the downside... as i seen someone point out. the customer service there is HORRIBLE! they dont know anythin about the products they sell there and they dont exactly, jump, at the chance to come assist a customer.

JohnF

is that like the local bait shop i went to here in scarborough to get minnows?

the owner spoke very good english until i asked him where his minnows came from............

then he said "my english no good, what you mean"

i repeated it 4 times and he couldnt understand me.

i left without buying anything.

:dunno:

JohnF

is that like the local bait shop i went to here in scarborough to get minnows?

the owner spoke very good english until i asked him where his minnows came from............

then he said "my english no good, what you mean"

i repeated it 4 times and he couldnt understand me.

i left without buying anything.

:dunno:

Nope. I have to trust the local guy's ethics to support him. If he's sneaky about one thing who knows what else he'll be sneaky about?

JF

The fact is we all love the idea of parking at the door and having lots of product selection to paw thru. To me Bass Pro or Cabela's is like a day at Disney World. And if I happen to see something that's too good to resist, naturally I'm gonna buy there.

JF

Exactly...we make a morning adventure out of it. If I can save a few bucks when I'm there I will purchase it. Usually take the "old man" along as well...he loves going and at 74 appreciates us picking him up and driving through the Toronto traffic.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

personally BPS is not for me. and that's nothing to do with any of the politics discussed in this thread...

i find much of their stuff cheaply made/overpriced and find smaller stores back their products more readily than BPS... i could save money through purchasing some terminal tackle through them but it's not worth the hassle of getting off the expressway when i pass through the big smoke.

That is the one advantage that the smaller stores have and will always have, customer service. Not to say Bass Pro has bad customer service because in reality they are very good to deal with but the knowledge base in a small store can be much more refined since they don't have a bunch of staff to train.

I think we are incredibly fortunate, as TJ said, to have stores like Angling Outfitters, Fishing World, Angling Specialties, Gagnons, Natural Sports, Hirks and JB's because they know what their clients are looking for and what their area thrives on. They are still around because of the specialty items and service they give and will continue to be there.

Any tackle store that complains about a company like Bass Pro, who ultimately has increased the profile of the industry in which they try to make a living is nuts, if they are good at what they do, they should only benefit from the increased attention to the sport of fishing.

The last thing I would want to see happen is the smaller retailers shut down, that would set back fishing for sure. The biggest problem for them stems not from competition from Bass Pro, it stems, as mentioned before and by a few, from internet sales. The internet will not offer the assistance that your local retailer will offer or the last minute option to pick up hooks before your trip without waiting for shipping.

JP

I love any store that sells fishing gear. I don't even care if they are more or less expensive than other stores. I just like looking at fishing gear and I usualy end up buying at least one thing in the store. I can remember back in the day when Sears, Kmart, towers and zellers also sold fishing equipment. I loved it.

PS. I will be on y way to BPS today. I will bet there at 4 ish. I will be the one with 3 little kids running around and Jaydub will have his 4 little kids there so there will be 6 little blond girls and 1 little boy running around causing chaos there. Sorry to the employees who have to clean up after but we do our best to limit our mess. By the way my kids love BPS. It is kind of like wonderland in the winter when wonderland is not open.

Never see it at any of the BPS stores I been to but Cabela's has a restaurant in it at the Hamburg, PA store.....nice, they serve venison brats, elk burgers and buffalo burgers.....they also have a deli that will make you all kinds of sandwich's on all different kinds of breads, rolls or wraps...we had the buffalo burger and venison brat while we were there and had a smoked ostrich sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo on a sub roll to go since it was a 6 hour drive home....if you never had smoked ostrich TRY IT...it looks and taste just like roast beef but is 99% fat free...boy, I wish I was 50% fat free... :D

Really like going up to that store. The staff never bother me but are helpful if i need to find something in that array of aisles.

Not really like Wal-Mart since there is only one BPS in Canada, not a bunch of stores.

Never see it at any of the BPS stores I been to but Cabela's has a restaurant in it at the Hamburg, PA store...

BPS in Sevierville, TN has a restaurant - was just there last week. I like the Hamburg Cabela's lots... not only is it a good store, it's nestled in some nice country.

I shop at many different stores within an hour drive of my home. I can't imagine buying all the things I want at a single shop.

I go to local stores because they carry items I cannot find anywhere else. Prices can be better too. I worked next to JB's and went there all the time. Best prices on St.Croix rods, Yamamoto baits and has a great selection of musky tackle. I don't do any downrigger fishing but if I did, that is where I would go as well.

I go to CT for something to do. Generally overpriced, but they can have items I cannot find anywhere else. For example, I looked everywhere for spin bubbles but only found them at CT. I also picked up some really old Len Thompsons that looked like they were there for 20 years. Just thought they were cool. Sometimes they will have a lure in a color that I was looking for that I couldn't find anywhere else.

I go to Walmart to look at the clearance items. Sometimes you can get great deals, not so much lately. I recently discovered some Yum grubs in a lime green color that I had never seen anywhere, not even on the Yum website. All the Walmarts in my general area (about 10 of them) looked to have really scaled back on the fishing section lately. It's very unlikely I will go there specifically for fishing gear though.

BPS is great for me. I can go to the mall with my family and not be bored to death shopping for clothes. I just got back from the big sale they have on and got some good deals as well. The Vaughan store also carries Canadian made lures (e.g., Lucky Strike, Len Thompson) that I don't think they sell at the US stores [at least they don't show up on the website], so it shows that they at least have some flexibility and are not forced to carry all the same items.

I also visit Lebaron regularly. They have good prices on some of their items. I often buy bigger ticket items there due to the discount card and their prices are often cheaper anyway (not as much as they used to be though). Their tackle selection also differs from the other stores. Even the two Lebaron stores in the GTA differ in what they carry.

Stores like Radioworld are also great. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my electronics.

I also order online. Many times from Cabelas and from some smaller retailers like Jammin Jigs.

Whenever I go away I try to visit the local tackle/bait shops as well. I often pick up something, most often a locally made spinnerbait or something. Sometimes I get lucky and find a lure or a color that has been discontinued.

Bottom line, BPS doesn't always have the best prices nor do they have a huge selection (at least as far as fishing tackle goes); a lot of their stuff is their own brand, which I don't particular like. So for me, it is not a one stop shop and I doubt it ever will be.

Edited by adempsey

The BPS in Grapevine Texas (DFW Metroplex area near the airport) has a great steak restaurant and a brewery. Yup, you read that right, a brewery!!! I've been to it every time I've flown to DFW and I was hoping and praying Vaughan would have the same when it was being built.

As far as supporting local, I think it is great to support those that support you. All I know is that BPS seems to give a whole lot back to the anglers through conservation and prizing and other stuff. I know I've spent thousands of dollars in other local shops and couldnt even buy a smile at the cash register with a 100 dollar bill taped to my forehead... I've heard their service improved once they were no longer the big boy in town. That's good to hear but way too little to late for me and many others from the stories I've heard.

I'm not sure what it is about Cabelas that you guys like. The one in Michigan was very very underwhelming for me. Maybe because I don't hunt? One store I really like that is sorta a big box is Gander Mountain near the airport in Buffalo.

Luckily I never need help or customer service at a tackle shop because I already know everything!!! :)

I love any store that sells fishing gear. I don't even care if they are more or less expensive than other stores. I just like looking at fishing gear and I usualy end up buying at least one thing in the store. I can remember back in the day when Sears, Kmart, towers and zellers also sold fishing equipment. I loved it.

I remember those days! How about (for anyone in the Kitchener area) Hiway Market...my buddy and I used to bike there from Waterloo to check out the fishing tackle back in our early teens.

I think there are 7 wal-marts in Canada.

come'on Cudz.. there's two in Barrie alone.. + Midland.. + Orillia that even abandoned their edifice.. to build a new one across the road....

They don't let you out much do they?? :D

Edited by irishfield