De-skunked on Simcoe Today :)

Joey

Met up with Terry, Wayne, Lloyd and Aile Goby on Simcoe today. So far this year Paul and I have been skunked, but I washed that skunk right out of my hair today!!!

We had a rough ride out on crusted over slush with a million tire/sled tracks to contend with. By the time we got to the spot Lloyd was set up at, Wayne had lost his auger cap, Terry's fishfinder was broken, everyone's pop/water bottles had busted open in their coolers and any kind of food was bashed to a million pieces :rolleyes:

Oh ya, and I think Wayne ran over his glasses too :o

We set up and Lloyd gave me a quick tutorial on my pain in the arse fishfinder which helped immensely and contributed to my catching my fish. Thanks Lloyd!!

Paul had the first fish on tho, a nice laker. Got it right to the hole and then the fish banged off the edge of the hole and was gone.

Lloyd getting ready for the grab.

4412304650_887d4d2fa8_b.jpg

Then is was my turn, and I got it to the hole and Paul scooped it out :thumbsup_anim:

A nice 28 incher.

4412305286_f8e3868c7c_b.jpg

Terry decided to move and in the process, broke his thumb on his auger somehow, so was in alot of pain the rest of the day. It was swollen up pretty good and bruised. Kind of funny to hear him reeling in a fish going ow, ow, ow!!! :lol:

We didn't mark any fish for quite awhile so Terry and the two of us decided to move.

It was a good move because Terry got into this nice Whitey right off the bat - YAY!

4412305836_93fb23907a_b.jpg

Video of Terry's fish: he was having a hard time because his reel broke, then he thought he had it by the tail, then Paul thought it was by the middle, but it ended up being caught by the mouth but was stuck on the ice at the side of the hole. I can't believe they got it on the ice!!

Wayne somehow found us without a GPS later and tried to set up.

And Wayne wonders why he can't catch any fish on Simcoe :P:rolleyes:

4412307420_4a15c4c017_b.jpg

Coupla other shots.

Terry Jigging

4412306594_40041385a1_b.jpg

Paul smiling :D

4411540419_e4914effed_b.jpg

We left around 4 p.m., and I must say, my face is sunburned and hurtin! But it was still a great day on the ice. Great company and some fish to boot.

Got home and it was time to filet. The Horror!! :lol:

4412309798_e4a2ed41da_b.jpg

Got 6 nice filets out of her with the new knife Paul bought me down in a little shop in Belle River where the guy makes his own knives. This one was made out of wood knot. It cut like butter.

4411543663_a114d4d4d6_b.jpg

So 28 more inches for Team 5 - The Reel Deal :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Joey

Wow, joey, just a fabulous report. One of your best, for sure. That is some fine camera work, nice control of depth of field, I gotta learn that.

I have to make a post about today too, and this one just makes me sad. A tough act to follow.

That's a great laker, too, btw.

Edited by douG

YEP.. expensive day for sure!!! Would we do it again.. in a heart beat! lol

Strike one.. Ran over my glasses with the sled in the parking lot.

simcoe5.jpg

Strike two... lost my blade cover somewhere out there and went back to look for it .. but it appears that someone grabbed it quick for me so that they could return it pronto.. well one can hope! (haven't lost this thing in well over a 1000 miles of running and bushwacking.. can't beleive it disappeared today)

Lunch destroyed... got set up.. opened the cooler bag and found that my Mr. Noodles were already opened for me.. the Chief BoyRD can had already opened a water bottle for me and the soup was ready in the bottom of the bag!!

Fish finders buggered up... other stuff missing or broken but hell ya.. we had a GREAT day.

Joey and Paul

simcoe1.jpg

Don't you dare lose it hun..

simcoe2.jpg

Beautiful Stocker.

simcoe3.jpg

and the happy angler..

simcoe4.jpg

They still can't believe I followed their sled/hut tracks from the North side of Kempenfelt.. way down to Snake Island. Hell.. I can't believe it myself... but I did.. right to Terry's whitie on the ice!

Edited by irishfield

I had a great time fishing with you guys as always

the broken radio, the broken fishfinder , broken rod oh and thumb, well stuff happens. we move on

sure was a rough ride..LOL

yeah the reel fell of the rod while reeling in the fish , trying to hold everything together to bring that fish in was..interesting......

I still don't know how Wayne found us, be he was good at hide and seek...

Aile Goby hiding in there somewhere

DSCF3672.jpg

Lloyd lying back chatting with Wayne

DSCF3671.jpg

Joey and Paul

DSCF3670.jpg

Awesome report, pics and video Joey :thumbsup_anim:

You guys sure got a beautiful day to be out on the hard stuff and got into some beauties B)

Sounds like fun was had by everyone..... congrats to all involved :clapping:

Man I can't believe Terry got a broken thumb :w00t: and a few other things :lol:

Hope you're OK mon chum :canadian::Gonefishing:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Thanks for the replies everyone, it really was alot of fun today.

Love the video Terry, Willie is one of my fav's :thumbsup_anim:

DouG, where's this so called report :dunno::lol:

Shall we do it all again tomorrow ????? B)

the thumb I can deal with

but fishing blind because of a broken, guess i should say 2 broken fishfinders I just can't do it

I got to hand it to you Terry (and no pun intended about your broken thumb).... never a dull moment in your outings / adventures :o

You know Joey.. If I hadn't already unloaded the sled and hut.. and took the trailer off and parked it.. I might be game, but with it all put away, I think I'll hit the shop and get some work done tomorrow!

Not sure what Terry's issue is though... he caught his only fish while fishing blind !!!

Edited by irishfield

Well like always always great to fish with friends. Ill be out again tomorrow at Lloyd O clock lol I did find the mother load later on after we did the big move after you did. Terry tex me in the morning. It was so nice to see Joey get that laker and miss a couple others. I'm glad that trick I showed you paid off.

Wayne you are so right when you say OFC has been great for making friendships. Hats off to the people that make this happen.

Great report Joey, congrats on the de-skunking.

I know those rough rides to fishing locations all too well. I don't bring soda pop along for that very reason any more, cleaning pepsi or coke out of the action packer and everything that was in it was not fun.

Broken fishfinder/reel falling off/broken thumb/parts missing...................sounds like quite the adventure/calamity..........but makes for a good story when it all works out fine in the end. At least it wasn't -25C when all this happened.

It was a stellar day up here also, -5C morn, 7C afternoon, sun all day, and we caught fish.

great report for sure and Wayne you are right this place sure has made me some life long friends even if we dont get together all the time we can keep in close touch here.

I guess I missed out today as Slowpoke left a message last night when we were out asking me to join him out there today Oh well I guess instead of fishing I will unpack the van and give it a break from fishing gear until June.

I guess I missed out today as Slowpoke left a message last night when we were out asking me to join him out there today Oh well I guess instead of fishing I will unpack the van and give it a break from fishing gear until June.

June? Whadareya, nuts? There's a lot of fishing to be done in April and May!

Sorry about the last minute invite. I juggled my workload and made a last minute decision.

Great report Joey and sorry to hear about the carnage! It's amazing how a few friends and fish can change 'the worst fishing day ever' into 'you guys wanna do it again tomorrow?'

We found the trek from K-Bay/Oro to the Whitefish grounds a lot smoother than our last leg to I-Beach. Managed about 50km/h vs. 15-20 and a lot more evasive maneuvers!