I need auger help

skinny

ok I was given a swede-bore auger to use it has ofset crank and fold up. first time out with it it took 2 of use just to get a hole started and cut. I talked to the guy that had it before me he did say it was a bugger to get going. I spoke to him and we decided to weld on a lag bolt for a center and start to sort of helpull the auger in. this worked until tuesday when the lug got broke off from someone twisting it sidways. anyway I know the auger should work with out the add on. i wonder if it is bent (is there a way to check) it needs the blades replaced or sharpend for that matter I'm not sure they are on correctly.

any help or pictures would be great . I would like to get out one more time either tomorrow or Sat

not an expert.... but i can tell u ... i was just given a fin bore 6 " auger... with sharp blades in it.....

whoooosh

unbelievable...

gonna buy a set of new blades for the 8" auger that i bought this winter... should solve that issue real quick too. :)

Might have to do some work on where you had welded the lag bolt. All you needed was a new set of blades. One small bang on the blades and it will destroy them. You can sharpen dull blades but if the angle is gone then you need a new set of blades.

Get new blades. If you didn't mess up the angles where they mount, it will melt thru ice like nothing.

You don't have to push down on an auger to cut a hole. Just turn it and it will dig in. NEVER bang it on the ice, NEVER touch the blades, and ALWAYS put the guard back on when your done cutting.

I have the 8" fin bore and it will cut through 23" of solid ice in less than a minute......much less actually.

S.

I posted this last year, might help.....?

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...&hl=dremmel

Once you're sure the blades are sharp try shimming them, you may need to play with shim thickness till you find just the right one.

Yeah they are upside down too.

If you need to shim it.

The shims go closer to the back of the blade (non cutting edge) as well to increase the cutting angle of the blade.

Cut open a pop or beer can and cut strips to use as shims.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Yep, they're upside down for sure. They're not going to cut ice, even if you put them on right, you need new ones. Make sure you put them on with the flat side down. Watch your fingers, they're really sharp!

S.

I'm pretty sure they were right in the first pic, now that I look at the second pic. Its hard to tell from a picture. The flat side of the blades should be on the ice.

Bud, you need new blades. Those are not going to cut ice. You can do anything you want, shim them, sharpen them, whatever, they aren't going to cut as good as new ones. For the $25 they cost, its worth it. Especially now with thick ice everywhere. They will last all next season no problem, as long as you take care of them, and don't bang them around.

S.

I'll add acouple more things here.

First those blades definitely look to be in need of sharpening, if you do it yourself be sure to only sharpen from the top side off the blade, never the bottom.

Shims need to be placed between the auger head and the blade on the cutting edge side of the bolts to steepen the angle of attack.

Also note that the offset handle auger requires rotation with both arms as seen in this video.

Hope this helps. :)