Awesome Deal

DRIFTER_016

This is the reply I got when I asked about removing the CO2

"Unfortunately we cannot take the C02 cartridges out of these vests (any of the auto-inflate Helly Hansen specials)."

So I went ups

"Your vests will head out this afternoon. I apologize for the lack of shipping options this time around. We usually have several options to Canada, but that C02 cartridge issue really narrows it down. Enjoy your new vests!"

Nice , prompt , communications from Defender .

I thought I saw them at bass pro for under $90. Is this such a great "deal"?

You probably saw the manual deployment models.

They require you to pull a tab to inflate.

I paid about $90 for my manual vest.

The fully auto vests are $150 and up.

So yeah it's a smokin' deal.

My question to all you guys who're buying these things: How do you know 100% for certain they'll actually inflate if and when you really need them to?

Fact is you don't.

That's the primary reason why, although they're more comfortable to wear, I never used them on my canoe treks in the far north, opting always for a more conventional non inflatable pfd.

well you can blow them up manually to test them

and it only takes a second to inflate them

they are widely used with no problems, so you need to have faith

just like air bags in your car

and the pill your wife takes monthly.....LOL

well you can blow them up manually to test them

and it only takes a second to inflate them

they are widely used with no problems, so you need to have faith

just like air bags in your car

and the pill your wife takes monthly.....LOL

Blowing them up manually only proves that when you're floundering around in ice water trying to get back in your boat or to shore you'll have a functioning pfd if you take the time to blow it up.

well yeah but that's assuming the compressed air fails

and I use a floater suit when there is ice

the way is see it

if people will wear it because it's light and comfortable, then they are better off then not wearing anything........

flotation wise that is

well yeah but that's assuming the compressed air fails

and I use a floater suit when there is ice

the way is see it

if people will wear it because it's light and comfortable, then they are better off then not wearing anything........

flotation wise that is

I agree. If I'm putzing around in my boat on hot summer day, then for sure. I'd be way more likely to wear one of those things. They're still better than nothing, no arguing that.

When I'm actually seriously concerned about my safety no way would I wear one.

My question to all you guys who're buying these things: How do you know 100% for certain they'll actually inflate if and when you really need them to?

Fact is you don't.

That's the primary reason why, although they're more comfortable to wear, I never used them on my canoe treks in the far north, opting always for a more conventional non inflatable pfd.

Mine has a GO, NOGO guage on it as I'm sure they all do.

If the guage is green you're good if it's red your not.

They also have a manual inflation valve.

I agree. If I'm putzing around in my boat on hot summer day, then for sure. I'd be way more likely to wear one of those things. They're still better than nothing, no arguing that.

if it doesn't work

you can sue them

well your next of kin can...LOL

Well they ship promptly, if nothing else. I gave them the go ahead to ship UPS at 1:51 PM yesterday.. and they were already in Fort Erie Canada awaiting customs clearance last night at 9:50 pm.

Thanks for the heads Up here Drifter

UPS Ground--Trackable/Traceable

69.99 all in i paid--shipment is not flagged for Customs Clearance

[email protected]

price compareable here at 200 bucks

They really should Harmonize USA/Canadian PFD devices in this man opinion

let you all know how it works out--plan on being wet in the next couple of weeks

LOL

Tight Lines

Paul

Inflatable PFD's are significantly safer than most PFD's, and almost all that are comfortable to wear for long periods.

When inflated they behave more like a life jacket than a PFD, keeps your head above water where a PFD might not if you're unconcious.

Not to mention they have alot more buoyancy, this thing is rated at 35lbs where most PFD's are lucky to have 16-18lbs of buoyancy.

So not only are they more comfortable, but they're also safer, especially the auto-inflate jobbies.

That is if they inflate when you need them. And hope those super sharp hooks didn't puncture anything when the hammer handle stuck that stickbait in your vest. Or you didn't hurt anything when you sat on it.....

Lol you're too paranoid, just have faith dood :D

Hi Solopaddler,

I use em with clients,although for commercial passenger vessels,they are not recognized by Transport Canada standards,TC has a couple of life vest that are approved and must be on board .

But the TC inspector does recommend using them/wearing them due to their lack of bulkiness.

They are recommend for pleasure crafts but not commercial passenger operators

As far as concerns to self inflatable PFD,they work,there is an indicator with 2 other safety measures in case the automatic safety does not work.

The neat thing is just like a Life vest,it keeps your head out of the water

The purpose of any life vest or PFD is that in case of unconsciousness,your head remains out of the water and in case you are faced down in the water,the vest will turn you over.

During our TC training ,we tested various vest and floaters suits

The PFD that automatically sets off,worked very very well and accomplished the needed functions during our trials.

Any vest that does not have a flotation material around the neck will not keep you head out of the water and makes you very susceptible to drowning

you need not worry about falling in cold water and your vest deploying,you will bob like a cork in water

i'm with solo, i'd prefer to float when the canoe flips rather than pull a cord to float. i would also be worried about puncturing the pfd while portaging on a branch or with a hook while fishing. as i do most of my canoe fishing early in the spring, i don't really mind the bulkyness of the life vests. a little extra warmth. and mine make good padded seats in the warmer summer weather.

I've been using one for years and anyone buying one..from any of the manufacturers... will be very happy. They are very comfortable. You will forget you are wearing it. I've gone into the grocery store after fishing and didnt realize I still had it on till I got a few strange glances.

These things are FAR superior to any PFD that you aren't wearing! The also come in handy for snowmobilers (mine adjusts big enough to go over a suit). For those that like their current suit and don't want to wear a floater suit, these would be a great option.

I'm not pushing these things for any reason other than I would love to see another successful and safe summer for our members. Fishing is the deadliest sport/pastime in the country.

These guys aren't sponsors...though if they like they can contact us..lol

Remember that almost every single drowning that happens out there, the victim was wearing no PFD of any type. Okay....end of preaching!

Ha Guys,

My wife just called me here at work. UPS delivered the vest at around 12:30 today. I will have a look at the added fees when i get home at 4:00 today and post the total amount.

Thanks Ross

O.K. Charged $25.30 brokage fee plus $7.87 GST plus $4.72 PST and $1.27 GST on Brokage fee .

Nice looking vest.

Thanks Ross

Edited by Northern 66

Ha Guys,

My wife just called me here at work. UPS delivered the vest at around 12:30 today. I will have a look at the added fees when i get home at 4:00 today and post the total amount.

Thanks Ross

O.K. Charged $25.30 brokage fee plus $7.87 GST plus $4.72 PST and $1.27 GST on Brokage fee .

Nice looking vest.

Thanks Ross

Was that for one vest?

Even with those ignorant fees it's still 1/2 price or less. ;)

Was that for one vest?

Even with those ignorant fees it's still 1/2 price or less. ;)

Nice unit Drifter-good value--for my purposes....

UPS Import Charges--$38.70

a Valentines Day present-the lady is going to love it

Thanks again dude

Cheers

ID1