Cooking fish without frying

Billy Bob

Many ways to cook fish and it really depends on what kind of fish....walleye is great fried like most fish but just put it on a broiler pan and brush with "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" or similar product, then sprinkle on KOSHER salt (it's about half as salty as table salt) Garlic powder and pepper. Broil for about 8-10 minutes and it's done. It's very good tasting and HEALTHY.. :)[smile] ..or.. :angry:[Frown] ..if you really like a good old fashion fish fry which is legendary here every Friday night at our local bars..

For Northern Pike we will cube it up into about 1" cubes and boil it....get a pot boiling.....drop in the fish for 3 minutes and take out....put in a bowl and serve with drawn butter or similar product...taste a helll of a lot like lobster. Try this with other fish....I'm sure you will like it and it's very health depending on how much butter like substance you use....either way ENJOY.

Of course we do smoke a lot of fish here...whitefish, northern and salmon with the occasional LARGE walleyes.

Crappies IMHO are best deep fried along with yellow perch.....

We don't bother with any Large or Smallmouth bass...not really consider the better eating fish with all the others we have to choose from...

I almost forgot about Smelt.....GREAT fried like french fried fish, but also VERY GOOD pickled.

Now my famous FISH DIP which will be served for our Super Bowl Party...

If you have some fresh smoked fish just chop up like Tuna fish and add some Ranch Dressing......for those who don't have any fresh smoke fish buy some canned Salmon and also mix with Ranch Dressing just like you would do for making a Tuna Fish sandwich....but now add a few drops of liquid smoke (5-15 drops according to taste). Now place that in a nice looking bowl in the middle of the serving platter....around that bowl you place crackers, chopped onion, tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. You place some of the fish on a cracker and top it off with the onion and or tomatoes and or jalapeño peppers.....this is served like this in almost every bar in Key West...great snack that is VERY HEALTHY....serve this Sunday and your party will be a great hit while Manning carves up N/O like a dead fish.... [big Grin]

Bob

There is always my Gram's fish head soup. A great chowder that incorporates any kind of fish, but traditionally starts off with pike as the base. Matter of fact, that was last night's dinner.

in summer a fillet of any white fleshed fish, wrapped in prosciutto, cooked on low in a BBQ for 10 minutes. Then you take a slice of Havarti, asiago, swiss, jack, etc..., melt it on top then serve on a lightly toasted bun, with a light spread of mayo or..., with a topping of sauteed onions and red peppers.

Edited by bigugli

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
There is always my Gram's fish head soup. A great chowder that incorporates any kind of fish, but teraditionally starts off with pike as the base. Matter of fact, that was last night's dinner.

Muumuu's mojakka?

Many ways to cook fish and it really depends on what kind of fish....walleye is great fried like most fish but just put it on a broiler pan and brush with "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" or similar product, then sprinkle on KOSHER salt (it's about half as salty as table salt) Garlic powder and pepper. Broil for about 8-10 minutes and it's done. It's very good tasting and HEALTHY.. :)[smile] ..or.. :angry:[Frown] ..if you really like a good old fashion fish fry which is legendary here every Friday night at our local bars..

For Northern Pike we will cube it up into about 1" cubes and boil it....get a pot boiling.....drop in the fish for 3 minutes and take out....put in a bowl and serve with drawn butter or similar product...taste a helll of a lot like lobster. Try this with other fish....I'm sure you will like it and it's very health depending on how much butter like substance you use....either way ENJOY.

Of course we do smoke a lot of fish here...whitefish, northern and salmon with the occasional LARGE walleyes.

Crappies IMHO are best deep fried along with yellow perch.....

We don't bother with any Large or Smallmouth bass...not really consider the better eating fish with all the others we have to choose from...

I almost forgot about Smelt.....GREAT fried like french fried fish, but also VERY GOOD pickled.

Now my famous FISH DIP which will be served for our Super Bowl Party...

If you have some fresh smoked fish just chop up like Tuna fish and add some Ranch Dressing......for those who don't have any fresh smoke fish buy some canned Salmon and also mix with Ranch Dressing just like you would do for making a Tuna Fish sandwich....but now add a few drops of liquid smoke (5-15 drops according to taste). Now place that in a nice looking bowl in the middle of the serving platter....around that bowl you place crackers, chopped onion, tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. You place some of the fish on a cracker and top it off with the onion and or tomatoes and or jalapeño peppers.....this is served like this in almost every bar in Key West...great snack that is VERY HEALTHY....serve this Sunday and your party will be a great hit while Manning carves up N/O like a dead fish.... [big Grin]

Bob

Do you realize how many grams of fat are in a tablespoon of ranch dressing?... I actually think you're better off eating fish fried in peanut oil! :P

There is always my Gram's fish head soup. A great chowder that incorporates any kind of fish, but teraditionally starts off with pike as the base. Matter of fact, that was last night's dinner.

in summer a fillet of any white fleshed fish, wrapped in prosciutto, cooked on low in a BBQ for 10 minutes. Then you take a slice of Havarti, asiago, swiss, jack, etc..., melt it on top then serve on a lightly toasted bun, with a light spread of mayo or..., with a topping of sauteed onions and red peppers.

My thoughts exactly Bruce.... on the chowder part but not your Gram's recipe.... the last part is mouth watering to say the least :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Muumuu's mojakka?

Mojakka is more of a braised beef dish heavy on the onions and potatoes, a thick gravy, but no "garbage"/ vegetables, as my grandfather would say. The spoon should near stand on its own in the pot :lol:

you'd be thinking of kalamojakka, or as the swedes and norse called it fiskesuppe

Edited by bigugli

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Mojakka is more of a braised beef dish heavy on the onions and potatoes, a thick gravy, but no "garbage"/ vegetables, as my grandfather would say. The spoon should near stand on its own in the pot :lol:

you'd be thinking of kalamojakka, or as the swedes and norse called it fiskesuppe

i was thinking of kalamojakka, although i've heard my grandmother just call it mojakka. i guess it rubbed off.

there was also the lutefisk.

international finn festival is in sault ste. marie this year. should be a good time.

Came across Weber's fish seasoning last summer and gave it a go. Cedar planked whitefish with a bit of the seasoning on the fish, very good. Have really enjoy the fish I've done on the cedar plank. Walleye, whitefish and of course salmon. Once with the salmon I did a reduction of maple syrup, Jack Daniels and cajun spice. Dizzle it over the fish after it's done and serve. It's become a big hit with family and friends. I'll be looking at trying a few more none frying methods on the fly in this year, just for something different. Great thread. :)

My mouth is watering.

How about doing a foil bake on the rocks beside a camofire. I just toss in some sliced onion, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper and of course avbit of butter. Works with any fish. I've done up channel cats cajun style on the BBQ before. I did some cod up in the pan recently, but you could do this with northern quite nicly/. Rub it with lemon zest, tehn role it in in chopped italian parsley. Off course ass some salt and pepper and cook it in the pan with some olive oil. I like my stuff with some zing so i also added some paprika and cayenne pepper. Still nothing beats walleye pan-fried over an open fire lakeside. mmmmmmm shorelunch. Gives me enough energy to stalk lunge till midnight

Instead of mayo or ranch dressing try Tzatziki sauce. It's that yogurt based sauce they put on Greek food like gyros or souvlaki. Quite healthy and tastes great.

I also salt-bake fish, but usually of the ocean variety. However, it shouldn't matter. Basically, you mix some eggyolk into a bowl of kosher salt. Then you completely cover the whole fish with this and bake it. It's basically like clay baked.

Do you realize how many grams of fat are in a tablespoon of ranch dressing?... I actually think you're better off eating fish fried in peanut oil! :P

You southern boys can only think about their peanuts.....LOL

Maybe you haven't heard but up north we now have something called "lite" Ranch Dressing... :P ...but no peanuts were killed to make this... :lol:

If your having a super bowl party try this. Smoked Salmon Dip.

8oz cream cheese (room temperature)

1/2 cup sour cream

1tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp of dill

1/2 tbsp horseradish

1/2tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

shredded smoked salmon

mix chill and enjoy

I feed this to my buddies when they come over for a game cause its easy on the salmon supply and they love it with crackers.