Update on Toyotas Recall

craigdritchie

a little off topic, i've noticed on car commercials from the big 3 , they almost always nowadays say how they are better than other car companies( namely the japanese) , and yet the japanese car manufacturers aren't saying they are better than so and so car company......are they sanctioned not to do so bec. of the whole bail-out thing? anyway just an observation...i'm not on nobody's side.

04 Mazda3, 03 Camry and 04 Elantra. All are running perfectly - the only repair in the last 5 years has been one brake job and an O2 sensor on the Camry and some headlights. Crap car. On these three cars we've put about 450k km over these 5 years.

No batteries, ball joints, radiators, alternators, mufflers, transmissions, shocks, starters, modules of any kind. No plugs, cables, brake lines, air conditioners. Even all the power stuff still works.

I know that this proves nothing - it's called 'confirmation bias', but it's been my best 5 years in operating cars. The Subarus also sound like great vehicles.

I would not worry about Toyota. Just think of all the recalls the big three have had. Think OK of the ones they hid. This really bugs me. A car literally having its paint peel off. Yup, they have always been a domestic. As far as Toyota going down hill, only the big three can ever hope. Once Toyota sorts out this part that is defective (Made In Mississauga) all will be well. By the way,I own an 09 Corolla.

I've been watching this since I am a employee and find it interesting that there has been no mention of the 220000 ford vans that have the same pedals in them or that the pontiac vibe is the exact same car as the matrix and uses the same components, along with many other manufacturers that get there accelorators from CTS. I'm glad my employer is trying to fix this as quickly as possible and bieng as upfront as they can be (due to class action suit filed against them). I have a feeling this will turn out for the better for toyota in the long run because of the HUGE focus on saftey and quality in the assembly departments hopefully resulting in some more quality awards for Canadian made Toyota vehicles.

Meanwhile here in the Buffalo area the NTSB is FINALLY sorting out how Flight 3407 crashed (a YEAR later) and killed 49 passengers and one on the ground that day.....and I'm sure they are hiding many of the facts.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/943132.html

Edited by Billy Bob

I've been watching this since I am a employee and find it interesting that there has been no mention of the 220000 ford vans that have the same pedals in them or that the pontiac vibe is the exact same car as the matrix and uses the same components, along with many other manufacturers that get there accelorators from CTS. I'm glad my employer is trying to fix this as quickly as possible and bieng as upfront as they can be (due to class action suit filed against them). I have a feeling this will turn out for the better for toyota in the long run because of the HUGE focus on saftey and quality in the assembly departments hopefully resulting in some more quality awards for Canadian made Toyota vehicles.

Yup, and whats Ironic is this Lawyer that is quick for the Pot of Gold, Oops I mean Litigation, was able to spiel how Toyota is ripping the customers with a quick fix before the Part even came out. Well I guess, when your a Lawyer that is about to sue, you want to be there first in the Race for the Pot of Gold, Oops I mean Litigants. Does anybody remember when Audi had the same problem a few years back. It near cost them a chunk of the North American Market. Funny thing is, nobody ever found out the problem if there ever was one. What they did anyways was spread the distance between the Foot Brake and the Gas pedal in all their cars. Coincidental or not, no more runaway Audies since.

This article suggests what I suspected...

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=2519112

I got a call from my dealer today. They have the parts and are keeping their service centre open on an extended schedule to do the repairs. I'm busy this week so I booked my Matrix for Monday.

While the media and politicians are doing what they do best they did not invent the problem, there obviously is a problem and numerous people may have paid with their lives.

While the media and politicians are doing what they do best they did not invent the problem, there obviously is a problem and numerous people may have paid with their lives.

Yes, there obviously is a problem. But in the manner of a lot of news nowadays, it's hyped up extensively.

It's probably hard to separate fact and fiction in a claim that a gas pedal got stuck because of a faulty part. You can bet some claims will use that excuse to cover up driver error.

Even that stuff about the floor mat creeping forward and getting stuck under the gas pedal --- people should notice stuff like that but they don't pay attention. I noticed it in my old Matrix until I had the floor mats clipped in properly (there are clips in a Matrix to hold them in place - I assume those clips are in other Toyotas as well).

When I traded in my first Matrix to buy the 2010 model, I kept the rubber floor mats that go over the fabric ones. They used to clip in "doubled up" in the old car, but the design changed ever so slightly, so in the new car I had to remove the fabric mats so the rubber ones would clip in and hold.

I've never owned a Big 3 vehicle that even had floor mat clips.

I wonder how much of the "floor mat problem" (the other aspect of the Toyota discussion) is simply because people just get in a car, turn the key and go. That would be typical, just like people get in and go without clearing their rear-view mirrors, back license plates, snow off the roof, stuff like that.

Sloppy, good enough, let's go.

People buy non-OEM floor mats all the time. Has anybody ever sued a manufacturer because they didn't pay attention and they slipped out of place? Not that I've ever heard.

As some of you know, I bought a 2010 Corolla in August 2009. It's J's car and she has put a total of 2189 kms on it since then. I wasn't sure I was affected by the recall but I assumed I was. As soon as I had heard that the recalls and repairs were to start, I called the dealer, booked an appointment...no waiting, it was handled very efficiently at Duval Toyota in Boucherville. I drove the car to the dealership and they drove me home. Two hours later, they called me back to say that the car was ready and that if it was ok with me, they'd pick me up to drive me to the dealership to pickup the car. They arrived on the dang minute they said they would...drove me to the dealership...I walked in, they gave me the certificate and my keys, told me which number parking spot I was at and I was on my way. Absolutely painless and scary efficient. I'm a happy dude... ESPECIALLY that it's J's car and I know that I don't have to worry. Did I say they washed the car too? Good stuff.

My 09 Tundra was in for an oil change last Friday. In and out in less than an hour with the update done. They didn't wash the truck though as it was already cleaned on the outside. So they vacuumed the inside instead!

This was done at Vandemeer Toyota in Cobourg. I bought the truck at Clairington Toyota.

I am one happy camper for the service you get with Toyota. Definitely this is what was missing with Ford.

Definitely this is what was missing with Ford.

Trader... My F150 is now 7 years old now..the local Ford dealer still washers it everytime it's in for service, or an oil change, and each time I'm in I request and they give me a loaner car that I can drive anywhere I want with.. even if that meant I'd planned on heading to Winterpeg that day! Truck is in once every 6 or 7 thousand KM's. It has needed nothing but normal service and an exhaust manifold in 123,000 km and 7 years.

I've heard from several friends that since the recall notices went out they've taken advantage of the circumstances to buy new Toyotas. The dealers are very receptive to dealing. I guess Toyota's reputation is solid enuf to weather the storm.

JF

Trader... My F150 is now 7 years old now..the local Ford dealer still washers it everytime it's in for service, or an oil change, and each time I'm in I request and they give me a loaner car that I can drive anywhere I want with.. even if that meant I'd planned on heading to Winterpeg that day! Truck is in once every 6 or 7 thousand KM's. It has needed nothing but normal service and an exhaust manifold in 123,000 km and 7 years.

Toyota always provides loaners they just can't possibly supply that many under these abnormal conditions

seems like they are kissing their customers butts to stay on peoples good books...awesome plan and its likely going to work.

everyone against toyota is trying to twist this recall into whichever way possible to make toyota look bad. this seems to be the best way possible to deal with a huge recall like this. i can only imagine how much $$$ they are losing over this...

Edited by ch312

seems like they are kissing their customers butts to stay on peoples good books...awesome plan and its likely going to work.

Sure they are. They're even advertising on the major TV networks apologizing and saying that they promise to do better.

When have you ever heard that as a result of a Big 3 recall. :P

with becoming a huge automotive manufaturing industry the re-calls have come. engineering failures are a standard fact in industry,s. asian marketers have found out the hard way. being secretive till their hand was forced is the issue at hand. a free car wash or oil changed would not change my thoughts. its not the engineering defaults that scares me. its the denial